PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom question, sorry

ksmom0611
07-05-2015, 09:54 PM
At 6 months out, I still need to use my wipe assistive device. It works, I'm used to it, but it's a pain! I have to carry with my wherever I go (thank goodness for purses). How long is this going to go on? I am fused T3 to sacrum and I still have a lot of shoulder pain and stiffness. I'm hoping that will improve with time and then I won't need the device. I only use it for the back anyway. Any time frame guidance out there?

susancook
07-06-2015, 08:02 PM
I still use the wipe assist for butt wipes and I am over 2 years out from my original surgery. I can reach the front OK.
Over time, I did find that there seemed to be a little bit of loosening of everything and I had slight flexibility in reaching. I think that the important part of the equation is the length of your arms relative to the length of your torso. I have short arms...or a long torso, but at any rate, I will probably need to use the reacher forever. I also need to stand to do my bathroom hygiene.

In the scheme of life.....for me, that's small potatoes.

Susan

jackieg412
07-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Also try one arm compared to the other. Sometimes I can resubmitted with my non dominate arm. And like Susan try changing position.

ksmom0611
07-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Any other ideas on this issue? It's actually starting to upset me to think that for the rest of my life I will need to use a tool to help me wipe myself in the back! It's a constant reminder of the surgery and limitations created by it. If anyone has any ideas or would share what works for them, I'd be so grateful. My physical therapist has no advice to give me on this and I don't know who else to turn to for help. Help!

golfnut
07-19-2015, 06:33 AM
I was still using long handled tongs at 6 months post-op. I don't remember when I no longer needed it, but I know it was less than a year.

ksmom0611
07-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Thanks for sharing your info. I will now begin my arm lengthening exercises....lol.