Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 weeks today - Very happy with my decision so far!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 weeks today - Very happy with my decision so far!

Well, today is my 6 weeks mark after the surgery. It was a 10 hours ordeal, fused from T-10 - L4 (Not bad considering others in this board!) I had my appointment yesterday and I feel great. Back pain is gone completely! Doctor is very pleased with the surgery results. Wearing brace daily, taking only medications once a day (T3, tramadol & gabapentin); yesterday I was told to drop the gabapentin gradually so I'll be off that pretty soon too. I had a small set back around week 4 which I am still recovering from but overall very happy with my decision.

Is probably a very vain thing to point out but - OMG, my hips are even, my rib hump is gone and my shoulders don't look like a broken hanger!!!! I couldn't believe my body could look this great! I guess I can wear a two piece bathing suit at 39... lol! Ah! Almost forgot, got a whole 2 inches back! Dr. cleared me to drive whenever I want... the trick is going to be getting on my car with the brace... lol! Small steps everyday.

I have to thank all the others that have taken their time to post their experiences... I definitely used their recommendations to make this super hard surgery a more tolerable one. I have to say, getting a colon cleansing right before the surgery was a smart idea too! (Fifa, thought of your experience on this one...!) Highly recommend it if you are going through with this surgery.

Lately there are days that I feel pretty down, tired and/or wonder what's going to be like when I have to go back to work...I read posts on that topic and makes me wonder. Again... thank God for this board.
    39 years old, 2 children, suffering from scoliosis since the age of 12.
    Lumbar curve 55 degrees, 4 herniated disks and 2 small fractures - after surgery only 20 degree curve - Fusion T10-L4
    Surgery on 4/21/15 with Dr. Gjolaj @ (UM) Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL

Yay!

I'm so happy for you you sound fantastic. Such a big decision at six weeks to be so happy is fab. I read your other post that you have already started weaning yourself off and yes it takes quite a while It feels like the flu and absolutely sucks but sounds like you're just about done so good for you. I know what you mean about the body I have been crunched up for so long and I also gained 2 inches because my doctor got really good correction plus I lost about 20 pounds so you can be damn sure this 53-year-old is wearing a bikini this summer! Post your before and after pics would love to see those. And again congrats.
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

So happy to hear that you are doing so well! I am just nearing the 6 week mark too, but have already been for my first post-surgery consult this last Tuesday. I was very pleased to hear the surgeon say that I have been recovering at the pace of an adolescent! (A fabulous thing to hear at 35!)

Overall I think that the recovery has been a lot easier than I was expecting. That's not to say there weren't some tough days, especially in the beginning (toilet troubles, getting the right dose of painkillers and some general frustrations) but overall its been steady progress. I have had incredible support from my partner Jeremy and from friends who have come to visit, cooked us a meal and taken me for walks. The advice on this forum was invaluable in getting myself prepared and I largely owe my positive experience through this surgery to being thoroughly prepared and knowing what to expect.

I am virtually pain-free. I don't take painkillers every day. I have a waist! I am 6cm/2.5 inches taller. Not sure I'm quite ready for a bikini though. Even though it seems that everyone else on this forum lost weight through the surgery, somehow I've managed to put on weight... a whopping 10kg/1.5 stone...!! Nonetheless, I feel healthier and stronger and happier.

Happy summer everyone!
      K

Comment

Congratulations to all three of you. The toughest time is behind you and it will get better (gradually) for the next few years. Aren't you proud of yourself for taking the plunge to have this major surgery? We all know nothing is easy about it but we have to believe it is for the best. Keep walking!
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Well done ladies!!!!

@Cathy and Kaybe: I know we were the three that had the surgery the closest. So happy to hear that you guys are doing well. I am very happy too with my decision. Definitely the extra help comes quite handy... I can't imagine doing this without my parents and my husband. It was truly a team effort.
          One more thing, is any of you wearing a brace? I have been wearing one since day 2 and is sooooo hot! Specially here in FL!
          At this point I haven't taken much pain meds this week. Only a 5mg flexeril before going to bed; other than that nothing else.

@Kaybee - I know what you mean about a waist! Who knew I could be pain free and be even!!! lol

@golfnut - It was a surgery that I couldn't put off any longer. The pain was unbearable some days; even my young children made it a point to say something about it. I am very happy with the results of the surgery. God bless the doctors who operated on me.

Loretta
          39 years old, 2 children, suffering from scoliosis since the age of 12.
          Lumbar curve 55 degrees, 4 herniated disks and 2 small fractures - after surgery only 20 degree curve - Fusion T10-L4
          Surgery on 4/21/15 with Dr. Gjolaj @ (UM) Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL

Comment

Working...
          X