Five week check up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five week check up

All good. Off diazepam now only tramadol and gabapentin. Gotte kick those soon too. Making progress. Hubby taking me to see The Who this coming weekend at Mohegan sun... Don't worry everybody's old no craziness anymore. I feel like I'm moving on...... I pray for continued success.
    Attached Files
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Originally posted by cathydrew View Post
    Don't worry everybody's old no craziness anymore.
    Yeah right.....(smiley face) You must be feeling pretty good to be doing a Who concert....Please consider wearing your clamshell to this show.... after all, you “are” still delicate......

Nice x-rays. You had a nice T curve there.....

I will be taking the “Magic Bus” down to Vegas on Wednesday.....That was nice of the Who to come up with the name. (smiley face)

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Amazing bit of work you've had done, Cathy. Hope everything continues smoothly and you enjoy The Who.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

So happy for you, Cathy!!
        Peg
        61 yrs old
        75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
        T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
        Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Have a great time but please wear your brace.
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

No brace!

I don't have one I was never given one I don't know what a clamshell even means where can I get one between now and then?
            Cathy
            2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
            54 years old March 5
            AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
            Surgery April 8 2015
            Post surgical T27 L22
            Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Happy for you all is well, congratulations on your check up. I will be 5 weeks tomorrow but am not ready to go off my meds yet. Or go out to a concert, be very careful. But have fun.
              Marianne
              rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
              Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
              T11-L5
              Decompression with multiple discectomies
              Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
              Osteotomies and local bone grafting
              Revision Feb.22, 2018
              Replaced rods
              Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
              Used BPM to help with fusing
              Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by cathydrew View Post
                I don't have one I was never given one I don't know what a clamshell even means where can I get one between now and then?
                Cathy...

Not all doctors have their patients wear a postop brace. So, don't worry, you don't need one.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Cathy,

I'm so glad to hear of your improvement--you sound great! Your x-rays look beautiful, and you must be loving your new torso and waistline!

Keep up the good work, and have a great time at the concert. Take it easy of course.
                  Gayle, age 50
                  Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                  Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                  Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                  2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                  2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

So I call my doctor all freaked out about a brace so he's going to get me a custom one but in the meantime he just sent me to the surgical supply to get me one of those small Velcro lumbar ones it just makes me feel little more secure thank you for all the advice and I'm going to be very careful
                    Last edited by cathydrew; 05-20-2015, 04:30 PM.
                    Cathy
                    54 years old March 5
                    Surgery April 8 2015
                    Post surgical T27 L22

Comment

Cathy

I was assuming that you had one......A clamshell usually has splits on each side and velcro is used to tighten it up.....

I wore mine only when I left the house for the first few months....

When you think about it, the extra measure of protection is worth it. I was also very nervous around people invading my space and bumping into me......the brace in this situation will help in that regard......For some reason the Who triggers these “bumping” thoughts.

After you are healed, you can use it as a planter.......He he

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ed you crack me up I'm throwing away every single thing that reminds me of this whole episode once I am done with it there will be no planters LOL my doctor doesn't usually recommend braces of any kind but since I told him of my kind of paranoia regarding any kind of crowds even though we're going to VIP route he said to just get the Velcro one and it had some flexible bands and bars and it felt almost like a corset. As long as it gets me through the concert I'm happy and PS one of the last times we went to see The Who there was one couple sound asleep behind me and another couple yelling at me to sit down when I stood up to applaud so yeah they're not as wild as they used to be trust me!
                        Cathy
                        54 years old March 5
                        Surgery April 8 2015
                        Post surgical T27 L22

Comment

I knew you would get a kick out of the planter idea.....(smiley face)

I never saw the Who. But have witnessed floor riots and well,....you want to exit stage left if that happens. It wasn’t Liberace, it was (Bon Scott)AC/DC in the Garden back in the 70’s.....

After 50 years of head banging rock n roll, you would think that Angus Young’s neck would be shot. (They need to study his cervical discs)

and”if”they were to advertise cervical cages or spacers..........Angus would be the guy......

“I’m sporting Angus Young neck spacers” He he

I can see Dana Carvey doing this one on SNL.

As time passes, you will heal and things will get easier. In the mean time, try to laugh as much as possible!

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Cathy,
                            You sound great. I think the brace for the concert sounds like a good idea. My surgeon, Dr. Lenke, doesn't use a brace with most of his patients either. He thinks the muscles get stronger sooner if they don't rely on a brace. Have fun at the concert!
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Great to read this post, Cathy. You sound like you're in a much better frame of mind. Getting rid of some of those "mind altering" drugs makes a huge difference. Your before and after x rays are just flat out stunning. What an incredible job Dr. Lonner did! I was someone who was in a lovely clamshell for the first 3 months simply because I was sort of "unfinished"--missing screws, etc. due to complications during surgery. Since it was winter and I wasn't out and about very much, it wasn't that big a deal. Sort of looked like one of those Brun Hilde vests from a Wagner opera. All I would have needed was a helmet with horns to finish it off. But it might make you feel a little more protected if you're somewhere you could get jostled by a lot of people.
                              Enjoy the concert and know that you're on the upswing!!

Anne in PA
                              Age 58
                              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                              T4 to sacrum fusion
                              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                              X