Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping

Okay so I had my surgery on April 8. In general I feel pretty good my back doesn't hurt but for achy and sore my hip is better but now I have a new cramp down the same area of the groin on my right area where I put lidocaine patches. I do get up shuffle around the house to little things here and then take a shower blowdry my hair once in a while I am putting clothes away but the bottom line is this I need to go to sleep after any activity the second I get done conditionin combing out my hair and getting dressed. By the time the shower and after shower activities finished I lay down I fall asleep I just don't know how much I should be sleeping at this point. Things are functioning just fine down there thanks to my regular dose of Colace and eating right so I'm not going to attribute cramp to that I just want to know if I am sleeping too much I go outside a little over a move around and I just want to go back to my bed all I want to do is there something wrong with me it's almost 4 weeks do I get to sleep for two more weeks? My breathing is fine everything is fine I am eating I sleep at night sometimes at night I even. through my medication I wake up in the morning take whatever those are just missed. I just want to depend on you guys so any help or vice like I said I'm at 4 1/2 weeks or something like that I can't even do math I swear I used to be so smart medications has turned me into a moron. And plus it makes me really sleepy. Thank you guys
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Cathydrew,

Welcome from me! I haven't had surgery, but you answered your own question at the bottom of your question. The medications DO make you sleepy. I'm a chronic pain sufferer and take several different medications including pain medications as needed (very little now). But many of the medications they give you do make you sleepy. You said that you take all the medications that you missed during the night in the morning. Are you taking a bunch of pain meds?

Also, your body is in a very active stage of healing right now. You need the sleep as your body produces growth hormones when you sleep. You are growing new bone like crazy right now. It sounds to me like you are doing better than most at this stage in the game.

I wish you well.

Rohrer01
    42o - 46o upper thoracic into the neck
    38o lower thoracic progressed from low 20's in last few years
    thought to be AIS and now neuromuscular scoliosis
    cervical dystonia
    neuromuscular disease not known but may be related to CMT (Charcot-Marie Tooth)
    slow but sure loss of muscle function
    46 years young! :-)
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi, Cathy -

I'm nearly six months out and I too have to rest after doing certain things. I don't go to sleep when I rest anymore, but I do have to lie down after a shower. I lie down after using the bathroom. I lie down after I take the dog out (that is 28 stairs total). The meds will make you sleep and dull your brain for sure. I'm still working on the brain fog at six months out, and I only take 1/4 of a percocet right now and only when I need it. The meds I came home on were necessary, but I weaned them down as soon as I could.

Bottom line is to give your body time to heal, and if you need to sleep, then sleep. (smiley) I found that my medicated brain didn't know necessarily what was best for my body, if that makes sense.

Just give yourself time to heal. It gets better!!

Hugs,

Fifa

Comment

Cathy,
        Rohrer & Fifa ate 'right on' with their advice to give your body time to heal!
        Remind yourself of the surgical trauma you've been through when you get down about needing to rest.
        Recovery comes in small steps. take care!
        Peg
        61 yrs old
        75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
        T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
        Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Cathy, yes, the meds are hard on the mind.....between that and the constipation, I decided I had to cut back and eventually quit while keeping notes....Many posters here have posted in the past around the 5-6 week mark asking how to get off meds.....and it doesn’t come easy since there usually is some pain involved. What’s a little pain anyway? Its not like we haven’t been there.

Your still very early at a month......and the cat naps and fatigue will continue. I took cat naps for 2 full years do to fatigue, and boy do I miss them! I consider that a benefit of spinal recovery! You can be completely pain free but have fatigue. I wondered why I was beat by noon, but my body was telling me to take a nap. It took me a year to finally sleep a full 8 hours, and the interrupted sleep lacks the rem sleep we need and makes us even more tired.

Recoveries are just like see-saws with good days and bad days.....best to lay low on the bad days..... and less bad days means you are recovering

Hang in there....things will get better soon....one day at a time.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

As I mentioned in your "walking" thread, I slept a LOT in the early weeks/months. I was concerned because some patients on this forum were thinking about heading back to work at 3 months. I knew that if I had to do that, I wouldn't make it. But I don't think the sleeping did me any harm, probably the opposite. Slowly it will ease, especially once you're cutting down on meds, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll heal in the next few months. My advice is to relax and let your body do its thing, enjoy a bit of pampering from family - it may be the only time in your life you'll get it, like me! Haha! And know there are no "rules" to this thing.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X