Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks to surgery - getting scared

Hi everyone,

I've been an occasional visitor here for several years now. I've not posted very much but I've read loads. It has been really helpful and, for the most part, reassuring too.

I've finally decided it's time for surgery, so I'm booked in for Monday 27 April. I've been pretty calm about it, but since my pre-op last week I've been getting quite anxious. Not all the time. Just pangs of it. I'm dreading the actual day and have started to wonder if I can really go through with it. What if I get up and run away from the hospital?!?

I could really do with some words of encouragement!

I'm 34 and decided to have surgery now as I don't yet have kids but may want to.
    I have a double curvature - 47 thoracic and 72 lumbar.

My surgery is on 4/21

Originally posted by Kaybee View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've finally decided it's time for surgery, so I'm booked in for Monday 27 April. I've been pretty calm about it, but since my pre-op last week I've been getting quite anxious. Not all the time. Just pangs of it. I'm dreading the actual day and have started to wonder if I can really go through with it. What if I get up and run away from the hospital?!?

I could really do with some words of encouragement!
    Well, as you can see you are not alone. I am scheduled for surgery on 4/21; just a week from tomorrow. I am 39 and have two kids...Just like you, I am getting pangs of anxiety but then I remember the hell that I live now and how the surgery will help. Breathe and trust that everything will be fine. Where are you having your surgery done? Loretta
    39 years old, 2 children, suffering from scoliosis since the age of 12.
    Lumbar curve 55 degrees, 4 herniated disks and 2 small fractures - after surgery only 20 degree curve - Fusion T10-L4
    Surgery on 4/21/15 with Dr. Gjolaj @ (UM) Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL

Comment

Those feelings of anxiety are very normal - even though they're very unsettling. It's been 5.5 months for me & I can clearly remember those feelings. You're both young & your quality of life can be greatly improved for a very long time.
      hugs & prayers . . .
      Peg
      61 yrs old
      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Hello to you both!

You'll read on this forum that many of us had those pangs - I believe it is normal. For a lot of us, it starts to sink in with that preop visit! I remember that visit quite well...it was a ten hour day in St. Louis and I came home with a bag of equipment (reacher/grabber, sock aid, back scrubber, etc.). That's when it hit home for me for sure!

You can do this. I was anxious about the surgery, but was more worried about where I would be without it, so you could say I was anxious to have surgery. At the five month mark, and even with all the struggles in the last five months, I'm glad I did it. My recovery is going slower than I would have liked, but I am recovering.

You'll be on the other side soon! (smiles) I can't tell you how relieved that the surgery I dreaded for four years is behind me!

Take care!

Fifa

Comment

Thanks for your responses! Just reaching out and hearing something back makes me feel so much better. And I can see why the forum helps so many people. I have lots of loving people in my life - a wonderful boyfriend who will care for me and fabulous friends who I know I can count on. But I know they don't quite understand exactly what I'm facing. I'm sure you'll all be hearing a lot more from me over the coming weeks and months.

@Loretta - I am having surgery with Mr Tucker at the Wellington Hospital in London, UK. How about you?

@Peggy - thanks for reminding me that I'm still young(ish!). Lots of people who have this surgery do it in their teenage years, so I've been cautious about expecting my recovery to follow the pattern of those that are half my age. At the same time, it has been a huge motivating factor for me to do the surgery sooner rather than later, despite some of the remarkable stories of recovery from ladies in their 50s, 60s and 70s. Good luck with your continued recovery!

@Fifa - it was definitely the pre-op visit that did it for me. Not sure why I went on my own. I thought it would be rally routine, but I could have done with someone there to hold my hand and give me a squeeze. It was a good lesson to learn anyway - that in no way should I try an get through this on my own. I hope you continue to get stronger and stronger

Comment

Thank you Peggy & Fifa

Kaybee, my surgery is at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, FL with Dr. Gjolaj and Dr. Lebwohl. I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow. Will let you know how that goes.

@ Fifa, I have followed your thread so I know that you've a rough time after and before the surgery. Just like Kaybee I just want to be on the other side soon and face the tough road of recovery.

@ Peggy, have also followed your thread. Thank you for your well wishes and positive remarks.

By reading both of your stories I have gathered and prepared myself with what's to come. Going in with eyes wide open!
            Lumbar curve 55 degrees, 4 herniated disks and 2 small fractures - after surgery only 20 degree curve - Fusion T10-L4

Comment

I found it was extremely useful to have pictures of a skeleton model with screws & rods to help friends & family understand the magnitude of the surgery I was about to have. Afterward I carried (and still do) a paper copy of my own X-ray. Most people just don't know what's involved because everyone knows someone who has had 'back' surgery!
              Peg
              61 yrs old
              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Kaybee and Loretta,
                Best of luck with your upcoming surgeries. The pre-surgery time was worse for me than the recovery. I kept second guessing my decision for surgery and worried about the outcome. I think you have to have faith in your surgeon and believe that it is for a better future.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Peggy you are so right!!!!!

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                  I found it was extremely useful to have pictures of a skeleton model with screws & rods to help friends & family understand the magnitude of the surgery I was about to have. Afterward I carried (and still do) a paper copy of my own X-ray. Most people just don't know what's involved because everyone knows someone who has had 'back' surgery!
                  Peggy, I had seen one of your posts about this and you are so absolutely right! People always know of "someone who had back surgery"...but I think our case is special. Our surgeries are "big" and people are horrified when I tell them that it will take 10-12 hours to complete the procedure... I think giving them that piece of information puts things in perspective... But as soon as I have the first picture of my spine "modeling my new hardware" I'll make a copy and have it handy... lol. Thanks Peggy for always keeping things positive. Loretta

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                    Kaybee and Loretta,
                    Best of luck with your upcoming surgeries. The pre-surgery time was worse for me than the recovery. I kept second guessing my decision for surgery and worried about the outcome. I think you have to have faith in your surgeon and believe that it is for a better future.
                    @Kaybee - sorry for hijacking your thread! I'll get out of it...Promise, lol

@Golfnut - I am done postponing and second guessing my decision... It's a must at this point. Days like today when I can barely walk remind me of why this needs to happen soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X