Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you recommend a "cleaning out" before surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you recommend a "cleaning out" before surgery?

I've heard some people "clean out" their intestines before surgery. Do you think this is a good idea? My surgeon said it's fine and that most people don't do it. After reading the poop discussions on here, I'd rather not have to deal with it right away in the hospital. What do you think?

I also had my IVC filter placement put in yesterday (filter put in the vena cava to catch any blood clots that may form and prevent them from going to heart or lungs). I have a history of a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) in lung after gall bladder surgery. Would have died if husband wasn't there. I coded, intubated, ICU...all that lovely stuff. So the back surgeon thought the filter would be a good idea. I happened to agree. So now my groin hurts (from where they put it in), my back hurts, I have to be at work today....ugh! Also nervous about "cleaning out" with this filter in me.
    T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
    10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
    Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
    At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
    Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
    Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
    Mom of 2 cuties!

My surgeon required clear liquids only for 24 hrs prior to surgery - he didn't tell me to clean out. I did a 'cleaning out' beforehand because I was worried about the poop issues. Then, I was worried about my intestines having nothing to do when they finally woke up! I think it was day 5 before I had a BM in the hospital.

I can certainly see why your dr is being pro-active about preventing blood clots. It sucks to have another achy area, in addition to your regular back pain. Sending positive thoughts & prayers!
    Peg
    61 yrs old
    75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
    T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
    Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

My surgeon said it didn't matter but doing a fleets enema was the hospital's protocol. I don't think it helped...nothing came out when I did it and had bowel issues anyway.
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I did absolutely nothing to prepare, and did not have any issues beyond relatively mild constipation after surgery.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I ate lightly the day before.
          No problems with constipation until weeks after surgery and then only once.

Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thanks everyone.
            Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
            Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

Just a follow-up. I used an enema the night before surgery and am very glad I did. I didn't have bowel issues in the hospital. It was also a relief to not have to worry about it.
              Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

Working...
              X