PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics prior to procedures?

debbei
01-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Hi All,

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is well. I haven't been around in quite some time, life is busy! Ever since my surgery (6 years ago) my surgeon recommended that I take antibiotics prior to going to the dentist and any 'procedures.' I've finally scheduled my first colonoscopy for the end of this month, and asked the GI doc if I should take antibiotics prior. He said he didn't recommend it. I am going to check with my surgeon's office, but wanted to check in here and see what everyone here has been told.

Debbe

LindaRacine
01-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Hi All,

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is well. I haven't been around in quite some time, life is busy! Ever since my surgery (6 years ago) my surgeon recommended that I take antibiotics prior to going to the dentist and any 'procedures.' I've finally scheduled my first colonoscopy for the end of this month, and asked the GI doc if I should take antibiotics prior. He said he didn't recommend it. I am going to check with my surgeon's office, but wanted to check in here and see what everyone here has been told.

Debbe

Our protocol is 2 years. Not sure if that's helpful for you.

--Linda

mariaf
01-09-2015, 12:41 PM
I thought I recalled another thread on this topic a while ago - maybe worthwhile to do a search for it. Seemed to vary a little by doctor, but 6 years seems like a long time. Did the GI doc say why he would not recommend it? I think I've heard that some docs are of that opinion but I can't remember why.