lingering discomfort 6 months out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lingering discomfort 6 months out...

I'm curious/concerned: I'm 6 months post T4-S1 with pelvic fixation, anterior and posterior access. I can walk miles... climb stairs... exercise aggressively and regularly (generally paying attention to advised weight lifting/carrying prescriptions)... and am seeing increased flexibility as a result, presumably, of regular pelvic:femur stretching exercises... , BUT I am still experiencing discomfort/aching with occurrences of relatively sharp local back pains. What is your experience with respect to this "discomfort" disappearing? The reason I am concerned is that I cannot help but wonder if such discomfort is indicative of localized non-union.

One thing I've learned is that we all recover differently. I hope some of those who had discomfort/pain for some months will come on and tell of their experiences. But if I was really concerned, I think I'd be asking for a ct to rule out non-union. Wishing you the best. Hoping it's just a matter of time. 6 months is still very early.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi...

It's really too early to worry about anything. It could be lack of fusion, infection, or any number of other things. Fusion really can't be assessed until 12 months postop. Even if you're not fused now, you certainly could be at 12 months. Because of the high dosage of radiation, I wouldn't push too hard at this point for a CT. If you still have the pain at a year, then a CT will probably make sense.

Hang in there and try not to worry. The good news is that, if you have to have more surgery to fix a problem, it will almost certainly be considerably easier.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi mkatz
        is discomfort after exercise...?
        it just sounds like "aggressive exercise" is alot at 6 months...
        so am just wondering if there is any relation between discomfort
        and days/times/amount of exercise you are doing.

feel better....
        jess...& Sparky

Comment

Working...
        X