Scared to set the date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared to set the date

Everybody is pushing me to set a surgery date. Just like in 1979 when I had my 1st surgery. I am 56 yrs old. My history is this: Fusion in 1979 with the Harrington rod. Did great for a long time. Very active. 3 yrs. ago I started having back pain. Last year a little more pain. This year a lot of pain. Went to the Southeastern Spine Institute 2 hours away in Charleston, SC. I have seen 2 of the team of surgeons that do the surgery. I have been told I need a pedicle subtraction osteotomy. Then after they all consulted they feel that I am a good candidate for an 8 hour surgery repairing the bottom damage below the rod only. They said the PSO surgery is even exhausting mentally and physically on the team. Very intricate surgery. Major blood loss. A year recovery, which will mean I will lose my job and health coverage. They were honest and said that I may need the PSO later on but this is a chance that I may not. They feel they can give me pain relief. Which in return may help to stand up straighter. I am thinking about the lesser of the 2 evils surgery. I am scared that I will not be able to work again. I would like to work as long as I can for my SS benefits. My family wants me to have it done during the winter months cause they know how I am about the summer and the sun. I have to find about short term disability and get my house in order and lots of things. I do not to argue with my husband but this a big deal and I will be the one in bed. Doctor says I have a 15 degree bent over measurement. I am not sure if this is bad or not. I am getting hunched over though. I just do not want to end up worse. I have good days and bad days but I do what I want now. And then I stop when it hurts. After surgery I am not sure what it will be like.
Working...
X