What has happened with this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has happened with this forum?

I have been away from here for a couple of years or so, and it seems to me this forum used to have far more activity.

I did notice, when I searched for a few topics, that there has been a very different tone in some instances than I had seen before. When I was on here a lot, I almost never saw anything other than kindness and consideration, but I now come across a number of instances of people getting slammed for their questions or opinions.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone knew why there is so little activity here these days. I hope it just means that everyone is having such successful surgeries and so much confidence going into them that they don't need to be posting on here.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

The number of posts ebbs and flows, but the forum is still active. Several of the other forums in which I participate have had very few posts, so it may just be that people are finding other things to take up their time.

I'm not going to comment on your observation about the tone. We have no no issues for at least several months.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i haven't noticed any unkind or mean attitudes or responses
      in quite a long while...if anything, there have been more kind and
      compassionate exchanges....
      so i am not sure what is being referred to....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

What I saw was in some threads from earlier this year. I was searching a particular topic and found some very unpleasant exchanges with a lot of name calling and insults. I am glad that is not something that has become commonplace.
        Stephanie, age 56
        Diagnosed age 8
        Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
          I have been away from here for a couple of years or so, and it seems to me this forum used to have far more activity.

I did notice, when I searched for a few topics, that there has been a very different tone in some instances than I had seen before. When I was on here a lot, I almost never saw anything other than kindness and consideration, but I now come across a number of instances of people getting slammed for their questions or opinions.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone knew why there is so little activity here these days. I hope it just means that everyone is having such successful surgeries and so much confidence going into them that they don't need to be posting on here.
          . Hi, this isn't on the subject you were referring to, but a question I have for you. What is a "foramenotomie? I spelled it wrong I'm sure! Anyway, I see it was done in 2014, (L3/S1)and on the signature you posted. Never heard of it and am very curious. Information is so good, as it may refer to something one of us are having problems with. Hope you are doing well! Linda
          Last edited by babyboomer16; 11-06-2014, 02:42 PM.
          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
          This started adult onset scoliosis
          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision
          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Linda... Foraminotomy is a form of decompression. If you Google Foraminotomy +animation, you should get some videos of what's done.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yes, I had new stenosis built up after the laminectomies 2 years prior. So this was another decompression procedure to open up the neural foramen and get pressure off a pinched nerve. Didn't work, oh well...
              Stephanie, age 56
              Diagnosed age 8

Comment

Working...
              X