PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 year 'thumbs-up' report

Susie*Bee
10-10-2014, 02:46 PM
I had a check-up yesterday with Dr. DeWald and he gave me an A-OK with everything. So my lower vertebrae are still looking really fine and everything else is too. It's always reassuring to hear good news. One does wonder about playing the odds, but so far, so good. (Big smile...) I always feel indebted to Dr. Hammerberg and his skill. Also got to fill out the SRS questionnaire. As always, feeling better all the time. So glad to have had the surgery!

JenniferG
10-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Congrats Susie, three quarters of a decade and going well. That's great news, reassuring, about your lower back. Glad to hear you're feeling better and better.

I'm 5.5 years out and haven't seen my surgeon since my 12 month anniversary when he told me to walk every day and only to come back if there was a problem. So far, none. Still walking...!

danicaf
10-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Congrats Susie, three quarters of a decade and going well. That's great news, reassuring, about your lower back. Glad to hear you're feeling better and better.

I'm 5.5 years out and haven't seen my surgeon since my 12 month anniversary when he told me to walk every day and only to come back if there was a problem. So far, none. Still walking...!

You ladies give me hope! Congratulations to both of you!

Diane

PeggyS
10-10-2014, 07:59 PM
I agree with Diane - a great big congrats to both of you & thank you for a positive boost from your success stories!

springchicken
10-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Me, three! Congratulations and thanks for keeping us updated. Its encouraging and nice to know youre both doing well. Very happy to hear! I'm fused to L4, also, and I'm glad to hear, Susie, that it's worked out for you thus far.

Susie*Bee
10-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks, ladies, for your replies. I am sure that both Jennifer and I are glad to be of encouragement. 3/4 of a decade was a nice way to phrase it, Jennifer. (smile). On with life! I have two wonderful grandchildren to visit tomorrow afternoon and again for two days next week! Hooray!. Isn't life grand?!

Irina
10-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Congrats, Susie! You were always an encouragement for me.

titaniumed
10-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Susie

Time is flying, and its good to hear that you are fine.....I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

Pretty soon we will all be 10 years post and hanging in there. Our own long term study you might say and its been pretty good!

Ed

golfnut
10-11-2014, 11:27 PM
Congratulations, Susie and Jennifer. I am happy that you are both doing well. Also, thanks for being a support to many on this forum.

jackieg412
10-12-2014, 07:46 AM
So happy for you Susan. Nice to know that all is going so well.

mabeckoff
10-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Glad that you are doing so well

Melissa

scooter950
10-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Oh Susie! so glad to hear that your lumbar area is holding up. that's wonderful to hear! thanks for posting, always neat to hear good news! xxx Jamie in TX

Susie*Bee
10-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks everyone-- you are all dears. And yes, I am doing fine with my spine. Hooray! However (aren't there always those!) I will keep you posted on my new developments. I saw my scoli doc on a Thursday and the following Monday went to see my NEW neurologist about my migraines. I went armed with ALL I had to show him of "the big picture" that might possibly influence them, including pics of my spine x-rays (before and after) and since he is a neurologist, I brought along the now ancient info (late 1990s, she passed in 2001) of my mother's Charcot Marie Tooth syndrome genetic mapping. She thought that proved it was non-hereditary because it ruled out the usual forms and was trying to assure me. Well, my migraine appt. went quickly from that to CMT and Rohrer was correct, in that he said there is no CMT that is not hereditary. I had told R that I had high arches and hammer toes, which are symptoms and I had already explained that I knew they were so I had always wondered. I have mentioned this to doctors in the past but they didn't pick up on it. Anyway, he was pointing out neuropathies in my feet and other places and some reflex and weakness problems. He also explained that with genetic diseases people often don't realize the problems unless they are debilitating because they are so gradual. I will liken it to the frog in the pot of water that is gradually being warmed up until he is cooked. He said people who get a disease later in life realize it because it happens at once and life changes, but something like this is (or can be) so gradual it is not noticed as it is occurring. Between the two problems (migraine and CMT) I am now scheduled for a brain MRI, bloodwork that entails so much more than the normal you usually get, and then EMGs on all four extremities. Boy, do they charge a lot for these tests. I am so glad I met my deductible with my cataract surgeries! We have the high deductible, so now we are down to the 20% instead of the 100% of the negotiated rate. Whew! I will know more after my appt. Nov. 10. Apparently I have significant loss of muscle in my feet behind my toes and a little drop foot and some other things he noted just from the initial appt. Nothing like Rohrer. But it was a surprise! I am taking it quite well, just another fork in the road has appeared to travel, just concerned for my children and grandchildren at this point.

mabeckoff
10-17-2014, 09:46 AM
Please keep us in the loop about what happens.

Melissa

Susie*Bee
10-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Melissa - I sure will. I don't have a follow-up with the neurologist until Nov. 10, so I won't really know anything more until then. As I said, I'm not going to sweat it. There is nothing you can do about it anyway. It reminds me of Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken -- this is just a different road than the one I thought I was on. Surprise! And I am laughing about it so it is fine. Life is full of unexpected happenings, and my faith is strong.

PeggyS
10-17-2014, 10:57 AM
I just love your attitude, Susie Bee!

Susie*Bee
10-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Sometimes you have to choose to either laugh or cry. I much prefer to laugh. I enjoy life. Sure I cry when it comes to the loss of a loved one, miscarriages or a tubal pregnancy in my family, but usually I can find something good in most situations and I pull that up rather than dwell on the negative. Attitude is everything to me. As I study CMT a little more (I already had because of my mother) everything is falling into place that has been a problem with me. The intense cramps I've had (I would get them in ALL of my leg muscles and feet AT ONCE in the middle of the night and that was so excruciating. I have taken valium/diazapam (1 in the morning/2 at night) for the past 4 years to help prevent those, but I still get some not as strong. But cramping is a symptom as well. On our 'reunion' vacation to California to a spot near Yosemite a couple of years ago, despite my valium, on the first night I woke up with so much cramping that the pain caused me to faint, I hit my head on something going down, broke three toes, and hurt my arm -- and hubby was sure I injured my back. (I didn't.) We were in a rural area in the Sierras, I had 3 days to visit with family I hadn't seen in years (including my brother and sister), my four cousins and their spouses, (another is deceased) (I have a small family) so I didn't do anything about it. A month later I saw my PCP and I still had a knot on my head. (smile) Cramps are the pits. I get them in my hands also. It's nice to know there is a reason. Again I love you all and I will pass on info as I know it. Thanks for you nice message!