Revision Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision Surgery

At 12 I had the harrington rods put in for scoliosis. Never really had much back pain until last November. Now at age 30 my low back hurts. It is extremely painful to sit, stand, lie down. The pain is in my low back, buttocks, and hips. I can't imagine going through life in this much pain.

I have had a MRI and was told the level right below my rods is severely degenerated. I am going for another MRI to look at the 2 levels below that. I am having at least one surgery in April in which the doctor will take out my rod and replace with screws of some sort. I am also getting the level immediately below my rods fused. Depending on the MRI results I may be fused all the way down to the sacrum. Then I will have the second surgery a week later which is the anterior fusion.

My doctor is Keith Bridwell in St. Louis. I have been hearing terrific things about him and that he is a great revision surgeon. I am still scared though because I have not seen anyone post anything that said this surgery significantly reduced their pain. I was told I have an 85% chance this will work.

Has anyone had these surgeries done?

Did it work? How long did it take to see a difference?

How long were you out of work? (I do a sit down job but am concerned about the recovery)

Like I said I have faith in Dr. Bridwell and feel he would not recommend this surgery if it would not have a good chance of working, but I am terrified at this point.

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

Thanks,
    Sydney
    Last edited by Sydney; 02-26-2005, 12:19 AM.

Revision Surgery

I am new to the forum. My heart goes out to you being in so much pain. I also live with chronic pain after having my rods removed, now spondylosis (buldging discs) at the top and bottom of my fusion.

If you do have your fusion extended, please let me know if it will give you any relief. I find water therapy very relieving. I pedal out in the deep water with floats under my arms. The pedaling stretches out the muscles and gives me temporary relief. I get relief from just floating on my back as well.

Best wishes to you!

Peggy

Comment

Working...
    X