I just got home from having surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got home from having surgery

Hey everybody. I just got home from the hospital today from having a posterior fusion from T3-L1 for kyphoscoliosis. I am doing really well. They were able to correct at least 50 percent of my curvature, but I won't know for sure until my follow-up appt. when they do x-rays. I'm really happy with the results, and I feel much better than I thought I would. The hardest part is getting up out of bed and laying back down correctly, especially when your pain medication starts to wear off. If anybody has any post-operative advise for me, that would be great. They have me on some pretty powerful medication, and I'm kind of having a hard time typing here.

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen

I'm glad your surgery went well and you are happy with the results. I too just recently had surgery and I'm a couple of months post-op. My surgery was December 1, 04 and I had an anterior thoracotomy and posterior revision from T2-L4. This was actually my 3rd and hopefully my final surgery. I'm really happy with my results as well.

I know what you mean by getting up out of bed and laying back down. In order for me to get out of bed I would have to roll on my side and use my arms for support and lift my torso up and then swing my legs out to get up. I would do the same when I would lay down, but all in reverse.

My doctor had me on Dilaudid for a month and then he decreased my medication to Vicodin because he did not want me to become too dependent on Dilaudid. As for recovery, your just going to have to take it easy. You're going to need constant assistance and be dependent on your family or your helper (nurse or aide). It was hard for me and its still hard for me because I'm an independent person and I hate relying on people for help. But you're going to need it. Also have a lot of patience and be patient too. I hope this has helped a little bit

-Jessy

Comment

Jen,

I got home from surgery 2 weeks ago today and I agree that getting in and out of bed is the toughest (and scariest) part of the whole thing. I had posterior and anterior incisions, so my right shoulder is still out of wack and I can't really rely on it too much to help get me up.

I'm having good and bad days, but the bad days are due to things like gas bubbles that won't go away or just plain frustration at not being able to do things that I wish I could do more easily like getting dressed.

Hope you continue to do well Jen...sounds like you're well on your way to a great recovery!

Comment

Working...
      X