Brace Woes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace Woes!

I have been very mad at my height/ weight/ and my brace. I am only 4'11" and I am 14. also, i only weigh 76lbs. My grandmother and aunt are also very short and my mom says that shortness and skinnyness run in my genes. But, I can't fit in any pants.! 10s in kids are to small and 12 in kids are too big or small or the length is right but the pants wont button etc. JRS are also to big. I am very sad about it because it is so hard to find anything age apropriate in the kids section.
    I went to an endocrinologist today, but my mom and i waited 2 hours and left. On our way out the docotor said it would be about 45min. but we new that since there were two people ahead of us it would be more like 1 1/2 to 2 hours of more waiting. Now my mom is just going to take me to a doctor and see if they think i need to see an endocrinologyst.
    Did any of yall have shortness/unable to gain weight/ cant fit in clothes problems?
    Any responsed would be recieved apriciativly!
    REBECCA
    ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
    I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
    I went through 3 Boston Braces
    Original curve~34*
    Curve in 1st Brace~9*
    Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
    Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
    Curve after bracing~34*

MY DAUGHTER NICOLE ALWAYS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM . SHE WEARS A BOSTON BRACE SHES 5 91/2 AND 74 POUNDS.LEL SLIM FORTEENS FIT HER WITH A BELT.YOU ARE A LITTLE TALLER SO I WOULD TAKE 16 SLIMS. WHEN YOU WASH YOU JEANS HANG THEN UP TO DRY SO THEY DON'T SHRINK.YOU COULD PUT THEN IN THE DRYER FOR 5 MIN AFTER THEY ARE DRY TO SOFTEN THEN UP.AND TRY DIFFERENT BRANDS OF JEANS IN SLIM AND REG.
    GOOD LUCK
    HAVE FUN SHOPPING
    THERESA

Comment

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I am currently wearing LEI 10 regular, but they are too short. I will look into a 12, 14 or 16. Levis don't fit me, but maby LEI is still the way to go. Do you have any tips for gaining weight? My friend that recently got out of her brace said she also coulddn't gain weight and that now that she is out of it it is easier to gain the weight! Ah but that could be a long time! maby...

/Thanks again!

REBECCA
      Original curve~34*
      Curve in 1st Brace~9*
      Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
      Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
      Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

Have you ever tried jeans from Old Navy or Gap that have the adjustable waistband?

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

My daughter is also very thin but she is medium height. Her problem is any pants that fit her hips and waist are too short! On top of that, she HATES jeans. So, we buy the workout type pants with the elastic waists. I often have to take them in but that's no biggie.

I make sure Tikka has lots of nutritional snack stuff to try to keep her weight up. She likes "Power Bites". They are in the health food / nutritional bars area in the Grocery store. They come in various flavors and are bite sized. I just throw a bag into her lunch box and she can munch on them whenever. They not only provide calories but also are full of vitamins. Now, her friends at school are hooked on them too.

Actually the nutrition bars are a pretty good way to add the calories you need while also giving you the extra fibre and vitamins. You just eat them WITH your meal instead of in place of your meal. They usually taste pretty good but you can shop around for the type you like best.

I think that exercise is a good way to put on weight if you're too thin. Tikka does yoga workouts and her appetite is pretty good afterward. It also helps her build up strength in the back and stomach muscles (a good thing if you have scoliosis).

Regards, Tikka's Mom

Comment

To both of you who have responded:
            Thank you for your input! I have heard that adjustable pants will work, but I didn't know that they sell them at Old Navy. I will check into them.
            I really like jeans, and try to avoid stretch pants however!
            I took yoga for 2 months, and didn't like it A BUNCH but did enjoy it. Convineyently, they are building a new yoga center right next to my shcool, and they will be having classes after school , so maby I;ll attend one!
            Thanks agian,
            Original curve~34*
            Curve in 1st Brace~9*
            Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
            Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
            Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

Working...
            X