scoliosis surgery support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoliosis surgery support

Hi, I am new as well. I am in my mid 30's. I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a teenager. It has progressed in the last 2-3 years and has really hindered my lifestyle, which is very frustrating. I have problems doing the simplest of things such as cleaning my house. Anyway, my disco gram is scheduled for march 4th and my surgery is scheduled for the end of May. I am scared! I dont know what to expect.

Does anyone know any surgeons in Baltimore, MD?
    How will I feel after surgery?
    How long will someone have to take care or me at home?
    Will i feel the the metal rod and screws in my back?
    My surgeon is contemplating the anterior approach as opposed to the posterior. Has anyone had surgery via the anterior approach?

I'm really really scared and would appreciate any input anyone would have. thank you so very much

dmb

Hi...

Here are some surgeons in MD who treat adults:

Daniel E. Gelb, MD
    University of Maryland
    410-448-6400
    22 S. Greene Street S11B
    Baltimore MD 21201
    http://www.umm.edu/orthopaedic/os-spine.html

Timothy R. Kuklo, MD JD
    202-782-6574-5434
    15619 Thistlebridge Dr
    Rockville MD 20853

Paul C. McAfee, MD
    O'Dea Medical Arts Building
    (410) 337-8888
    7505 Osler Dr, #104
    Towson MD 21204
    http://www.drmcafee.net/

How you feel after surgery depends on a lot of different things (e.g., age, physical condition, type of surgical procedure, pain management, etc.) I recommend that you get a few references from your chosen surgeon, specifically someone who has had the same procedure planned for you, and talk to them. I've known people who have had almost no pain, and others who have had great pain.

How long you should have someone with you after surgery is also dependent on the things mentioned above. At the least, I'd recommend that you have someone with you at home for the first two weeks. You'll probably be able to take care of your basic needs, but you're not likely to feel up to cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.

Some people complain that they can feel their implants, but I think most people will tell you that they get used to the new feeling of their back very quickly.

I had both anterior and posterior procedures. The anterior approach was more painful, and the scar is more obvious. You should talk to your surgeon about the pros and cons of each approach.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

dmb,
      Feel free to e-mail me privately and I will tell you about my experience. Scroll down to the bottom of this post and click on profile. It will direct you to my e-mail.

Comment

Working...
      X