Blood loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood loss

What sre people's experiences like regarding blood loss both during and after surgery? I've been told that with the cell saver machine blood loss during surgery is not significant but that loss is more likely after surgery.
    Also, what is everyone's opinion on self donation vs. blood bank blood? Ideally I'd like to use my own blood but realize to do so puts me in a weakened state for surgery. Any insights would be appreciated.

Risë

My surgeon didn’t want me to draw blood before my surgeries and was told that the blood bank was safe.

I had 2 units around 6 days after my surgeries.....that was done at night time over 2 nights and felt better after it was done.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Rise View Post
      What sre people's experiences like regarding blood loss both during and after surgery? I've been told that with the cell saver machine blood loss during surgery is not significant but that loss is more likely after surgery.
      Also, what is everyone's opinion on self donation vs. blood bank blood? Ideally I'd like to use my own blood but realize to do so puts me in a weakened state for surgery. Any insights would be appreciated.

Risë
      My doctor and two other opinions discouraged autologous donation. They said that it would only weaken me and my own blood won't be enough - I would end up with somebody else's blood anyway. Boy, were they right! I don't want to scare you and I am sure my case was uncommon, but I lost 5 liters of blood during my surgeries. Going in, I did not know that I had blood issues, I never had any signs or problems before. During the surgery, my blood was not coagulaing and I was bleeding excessively. I was given platelets and many transfusions during and after surgery.

But this all in the past and I am living happily ever after -very happy with the final outcome of the surgery.
      Last edited by Irina; 05-16-2014, 12:01 AM.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Similar to Irina. All up I had 6 litres of blood. All donated. My surgeon was not keen for me to donate for myself. Most was given during surgery, I do remember one, perhaps 2 bags given to me on day 2 after they tried to get me to walk and I came close to passing out. The following day I was fine. The difference that blood made was amazing! I always planned on giving back but am told by the blood bank that I am no longer able to. No reason was given.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My surgeon wanted my own blood -- 4 units, and that is difficult to do in about 3 weeks time (the lifespan of blood). I was able to do so (a lot of times people cannot keep up their iron enough to continue to give that much blood-- there are some diet tricks, etc, to help. All 4 units were used during my surgery along with the cell saver. I don't think I needed any more. From all I've heard over the years, it sounds like blood bank blood is perfectly fine. I would do whatever your doctor wants you to do.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi there,

My surgeon doesn't allow his patients to pre-donate their own blood. He told me it weakens you going in to surgery and also increases your risk of infection, as does cell-saver in his opinion. He told me he wanted me going in to surgery as strong as possible, and with all my blood.

I had I think at least 4 units of blood transfused during surgery and got 2 additional units 2-3 days later. I also received a similar amount of transfusions during my extensive revision surgery.

Your surgeon will tell you what his/her preference is, and I would definitely follow that. Make sure and eat absolutely as nutritionally as possible in the weeks leading up to surgery, and get yourself into the best cardiovascular shape possible by walking or exercising as much as you can. Make sure your legs and thighs are very strong--you will need that!

Good luck,
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I had doner blood
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

My DIL was given epogen prior to surgery, donated some of her own blood, and the cell saver was used. As far as she knows, her pre-donated blood was not needed.
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

My surgeon did not want me to donate my own blood

Melissa
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                  X