PDA

View Full Version : Blood loss

Rise
05-15-2014, 06:27 PM
What sre people's experiences like regarding blood loss both during and after surgery? I've been told that with the cell saver machine blood loss during surgery is not significant but that loss is more likely after surgery.
Also, what is everyone's opinion on self donation vs. blood bank blood? Ideally I'd like to use my own blood but realize to do so puts me in a weakened state for surgery. Any insights would be appreciated.

Risė

titaniumed
05-15-2014, 11:50 PM
My surgeon didn’t want me to draw blood before my surgeries and was told that the blood bank was safe.

I had 2 units around 6 days after my surgeries.....that was done at night time over 2 nights and felt better after it was done.

Ed

Irina
05-15-2014, 11:58 PM
What sre people's experiences like regarding blood loss both during and after surgery? I've been told that with the cell saver machine blood loss during surgery is not significant but that loss is more likely after surgery.
Also, what is everyone's opinion on self donation vs. blood bank blood? Ideally I'd like to use my own blood but realize to do so puts me in a weakened state for surgery. Any insights would be appreciated.

Risė

My doctor and two other opinions discouraged autologous donation. They said that it would only weaken me and my own blood won't be enough - I would end up with somebody else's blood anyway. Boy, were they right! I don't want to scare you and I am sure my case was uncommon, but I lost 5 liters of blood during my surgeries. Going in, I did not know that I had blood issues, I never had any signs or problems before. During the surgery, my blood was not coagulaing and I was bleeding excessively. I was given platelets and many transfusions during and after surgery.

But this all in the past and I am living happily ever after -very happy with the final outcome of the surgery.

JenniferG
05-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Similar to Irina. All up I had 6 litres of blood. All donated. My surgeon was not keen for me to donate for myself. Most was given during surgery, I do remember one, perhaps 2 bags given to me on day 2 after they tried to get me to walk and I came close to passing out. The following day I was fine. The difference that blood made was amazing! I always planned on giving back but am told by the blood bank that I am no longer able to. No reason was given.

Susie*Bee
05-17-2014, 08:14 AM
My surgeon wanted my own blood -- 4 units, and that is difficult to do in about 3 weeks time (the lifespan of blood). I was able to do so (a lot of times people cannot keep up their iron enough to continue to give that much blood-- there are some diet tricks, etc, to help. All 4 units were used during my surgery along with the cell saver. I don't think I needed any more. From all I've heard over the years, it sounds like blood bank blood is perfectly fine. I would do whatever your doctor wants you to do.

leahdragonfly
05-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi there,

My surgeon doesn't allow his patients to pre-donate their own blood. He told me it weakens you going in to surgery and also increases your risk of infection, as does cell-saver in his opinion. He told me he wanted me going in to surgery as strong as possible, and with all my blood.

I had I think at least 4 units of blood transfused during surgery and got 2 additional units 2-3 days later. I also received a similar amount of transfusions during my extensive revision surgery.

Your surgeon will tell you what his/her preference is, and I would definitely follow that. Make sure and eat absolutely as nutritionally as possible in the weeks leading up to surgery, and get yourself into the best cardiovascular shape possible by walking or exercising as much as you can. Make sure your legs and thighs are very strong--you will need that!

Good luck,

kennedy
05-17-2014, 12:57 PM
I had doner blood

rohrer01
05-17-2014, 02:36 PM
My DIL was given epogen prior to surgery, donated some of her own blood, and the cell saver was used. As far as she knows, her pre-donated blood was not needed.

mabeckoff
05-18-2014, 06:42 PM
My surgeon did not want me to donate my own blood

Melissa