Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year update

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here as much since things have been going well in my recovery, but I thought I'd stop by and provide an update for those who are less far out or are considering having surgery:
    • I had 20 hours of surgery (2 x 10hr operations, fused to T3 to sacrum) and was off work for 5 months.
    • Recovery for me felt like long plateaus, with unpredictable steps up in improvement. They seem to have occurred every 1.5 months and were marked by a step down in pain and/or increase in movement.
    • I had my biggest improvement around the 10 month point and it seems to be accelerating since then. My movement started to get much better and mentally I felt a lot clearer, as if I were really waking up.
    • I've stayed active throughout the recovery period, starting with outdoor and pool walking, then graduating to swimming, elliptical and stationary bike. I added the treadmill around the 9 month point when it got too cold and snowy (I live in the Boston area and we have plenty of winter).
    • I did PT from about 6 months until 10 months post-op. I found it helpful to have someone teach me how to move with my new spine.
    • I was able to return to the ballet-style barre classes (Bar Method) at 11 months. I need to do a fair number of modifications, particularly for the abs section, but it's been a great full-body workout. At the 1-year point I was able to do my first plank on my elbows - I couldn't hold it for long but I did it long enough to admire my surgeon's handiwork. Dr. Rand gave me a kickass spine!
    • I took my first flight at 11.5 months - 4 hrs direct to Puerto Rico. Was very happy to go through the imaging scanners and I felt fine on the plane, though I was perhaps a bit stiffer/slightly sore the next day.
    • I also caught my first cold at the end of the trip and have been coughing pretty hard for 2 weeks. I'm thankful that it happened now and not 2 months ago because I can't imagine being in pain and coughing - now it's just uncomfortable. It's around this time that I stopped taking daily Aleve.

Overall I'm very happy that I had the surgery because the pain I was in before is gone and the surgery-related aches are finally diminishing. I feel like it took longer for me to recover since I'm under 40 and was in good shape going in to this, but the ordeal has taught me a huge amount of patience. At my 1-year checkup, Dr Rand removed all restrictions so there's a few things I'm looking forward to doing e.g. ride a bike outside (if we ever finish winter), lift weights and regain strength/endurance since I'm nowhere near back to pre-surgery levels. Anyhow, good luck to anyone planning to undergo surgery and hang in there to those who are still healing...

aileen

Hi Aileen,

It's so good to hear from you! I am glad that you're doing well and thank you for the update. I especially liked your description of regaining mental power at 10 months, "like I was waking up". This is exactly how I felt and this mental awakening also happened to me at around 10 month.

Your dance class sounds interesting - I've never geared of it before. Did you set off alarms at the airport?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Good to hear from you Aileen! After such a huge surgery, you've done very well, it seems to me. Glad to hear your improvements are continuing and suspect that will be the case for another year or two.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Your post will be helpful for those behind you in recovery. It sounds like you are doing wonderfully. I am sure you will continue to note improvements in you overall strength and lessening of aches during the next two years. I remember being ecstatic when I could finally ride my bike again and feel back to normal with most of my pre surgery activities. Keep up the good work.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Aileen

I left you a pm.

Libby

Comment

Aileen, I am about one month behind you but more than 25 years your senior. Thanks for your synopsis of your recovery. It looked very similar to mine. We have the same amount of fusion and I also had 2 days of surgery. Best of luck for continuing improvement! It's all about attitude.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Aileen

I just wanted to say congratulations! You did it!

Nice thread.....we need these every once in a while.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...