Zumba or Irish step dance after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zumba or Irish step dance after surgery

I am looking for a new way to get exercise. Has anyone ever started Zumba or Irish step dancing after scoliosis surgery. If so, how long after surgery did you start. I have never done either of these, but they both look like fun. I had my surgery a year ago. Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Libby

I go to Zumba and really enjoy it, although there are some moves that I cannot possibly do with a fused spine. I still get a good workout. I also tap dance, but don't know if that's similar to Irish dancing.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I started Zumba one year after surgery and have been doing every since. I love it and it doesn't bother me. Of course there are moves I cannot do, but I think I'm more self-conscious about not being able to do them right than they appear to others. I've had people tell me they would never know by watching me move that I'm fused T3-L3.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thank you so much. My husband does not really want me to do Zumba. He is afraid I will injure myself.

Karen, how long after surgery did you start golfing again? I am a very bad beginner, but want to get back out there. I golf more for the walking, socializing and sort of exercise. My doctor suggested that I not use my woods, and just put and chip at first. Your thoughts would be appreciated, since our fusions are similar in length.

Libby

Comment

I started chipping and putting at about 7 months and played my first round of golf after surgery at 13 months (video in signature) I put the tee in the ground by going down on one knee. I bought one of those suction cups for the end of my putter. I never thought I'd use something like that, but it sure beat all of the squatting down. Everyone I play with knows I had back surgery so I don't worry about how it looks. I feel like I swing with more club head speed now. Have fun! It's a great social sport that you can play your whole life. My 93 year old dad still plays!
          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

When I was deciding whether or not to venture under the knife your golf video helped me to make the decision to have the surgery. I believe the driving range near my house has a small section of dirt or sand, not sure which, since I have not been to that section. My plan is to go once the warmer spring days arrive and see what I can do. Was there anything special that helped you make the decision to start using a driver?

Comment

Actually, it was what Dr. Lenke told me that made me figure that I could try any of the clubs in my bag. At my year check up, I asked if it would be better to wait another 6 months before taking full swings so that my back would be more likely to fuse. He said something to the effect that at a year, the golf swing would not prevent fusion. I guess either you are fused or not and the only way you find out is if the rods break (not a cheery thought). You could work back into it gradually with short irons first to just get the weak muscles stronger.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Libby, I would say that after a year you can do any dancing that does not involved bending (other than bending at the hip) and twisting.

I tried to do the Polynesian dancing and Hawaiian Hula when we were recently in Hawaii, and I was very disappointed that I could no longer do most of the moves. Granted, I was never very good anyway, but I thought that I could keep up with the crowd.

I was at a wine bar last night without my husband, so I did not try dancing, but I really wanted to try some slow dances and some country western dances. I used to love dancing and hope to get back into it.

Has anyone tried line dancing? Yee Haw!

Susan in her red cowboy boots......
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                  Libby, I would say that after a year you can do any dancing that does not involved bending (other than bending at the hip) and twisting.

I tried to do the Polynesian dancing and Hawaiian Hula when we were recently in Hawaii, and I was very disappointed that I could no longer do most of the moves. Granted, I was never very good anyway, but I thought that I could keep up with the crowd.

I was at a wine bar last night without my husband, so I did not try dancing, but I really wanted to try some slow dances and some country western dances. I used to love dancing and hope to get back into it.

Has anyone tried line dancing? Yee Haw!

Susan in her red cowboy boots......
                  Susan, you are my "get up and go" helper!!! I love reading what you write! I know we share some of the same recovery issues. But I am getting so I don't want to leave my house. Till I read your posts! You are such a strong lady. Your spirit is wonderful! I don't know, but Dr. Lenke's physical therapist told me Pilates were out as far as doing exercise goes. So it may be a while before I can Zumba! (Smiles) or put my red boots on a line dance! Yaah Whooo!!!!! Thinking warm thoughts of you all! Libby, you hang in there. I would check with whoever you find for a replacement surgeon, before you do any thing in the area of ZUMBA! (Smiles) it does look like fun though!
                  Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                  Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                  This started adult onset scoliosis
                  July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                  Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                  Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                  May 30th 2013 revision
                  May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                  May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Linda,

How uncomfortable is your flatback? I find that standing is not very comfortable unless I am leaning against something or holding onto something, even if it's just a chair. I try to stretch my quads and hamstrings to help me stand a bit straighter. As I take my walks in the mall this winter, I look at my reflection in the store windows. I am definitely leaning forward, but I am not planning on having more surgery. I didn't fair well with the last one.

Libby

Comment

Originally posted by Wish2bstraight View Post
                      Linda,

How uncomfortable is your flatback? I find that standing is not very comfortable unless I am leaning against something or holding onto something, even if it's just a chair. I try to stretch my quads and hamstrings to help me stand a bit straighter. As I take my walks in the mall this winter, I look at my reflection in the store windows. I am definitely leaning forward, but I am not planning on having more surgery. I didn't fair well with the last one.

Libby
                      Well, in the first place, I supposedly don't have flat back anymore after Dr. Lenke did surgery on me twice(Oct29th,12) and (May31st,13) The second surgery was for a broken rod, and he removed everything and started over. I am now eight and a half mo. out and doing well, but have a ways to go. However, before I landed on Dr. Lenke's surgery table and had him fix me, I was terribly bent over. I slowly started bending over to the left, but then it kept getting so I also was leaning forward. And nothing helped to make me stand up. I leaned on a lot of tables. I leaned on a lot of grocery carts. I finiallly used canes and then I went to a walker. I was heading for the wheelchair real fast! This all started from a lower back surgery in 2006 that consisted of a double fusion on L3/4 and L4/5 instrumentation. Everything collapsed above it into a scoliosis formation. Now, I don't know what to say to you , except Flatback is what it is. You lose your common lordosis curve in your lumbar region, resulting in an imbalance in the sagittal plane. I don't want to say too much I guess, until you can tell me if you know for sure if this is Flatback. And if that's the case, then you need to get a surgeon fast. The sooner the better. It can be completely debilitating. I couldn't live that way. I wouldn't want you to either. Warmly ,Linda
                      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                      This started adult onset scoliosis
                      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                      May 30th 2013 revision
                      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Linda,

From the little I read, I believe I do have flatback. I do not really have any lordosis or kyphosis. I am not comfortable standing for any length of time. Just holding on to a chair, leaning on a wall, etc. is better. The idea of more surgery, at this point, is completely out of the question. My recovery was not good from my scoliosis surgery and I understand that flatback surgery is a real tough surgery. My surgeon told me he could fix it, but he did not say that I would need it down the road.

Comment

Working...
                        X