Update from January 7th appt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from January 7th appt

My mom and I got to uc Davis half hour early. I got my newest set of xrays done. Then went back to the waiting room for my name to be called. I was not waiting for really long. We followed her to a room that said Gupta. After a while a orthopaedic surgery resident came in the room she was really nice. I think she from the same country as my aunt. So anyway she put up my x-rays. Then she checked my walking, my muscle stanch can't pronounce it right sorry, my back which hurt and tickled. Then she want to get dr Gupta. Then after a while the door opened. It was Dr Gupta and the three other doctors. Dr Gupta had me sqwit, bend forward, bend backward, bend to the sides. He looked at my back putting pursuer on the area that was hurting. But he said the reason the area is hurting is because the fusion is finally soild now. Now my fusion is soild now it just hurt when it really cold out side but I can mange to still get around out side when it cold. I go back in two years so in 2016
    Last edited by kennedy; 01-14-2014, 03:41 PM.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Awesome news, Kara! I agree that the rush of so many doctors coming in the room can be scary! Your doctor must be proud of his back surgery on you and wanted to show it off! So, now relax and have an active life!
    Hugs, Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I was thing the same thing but both uc Davis and ucsf are teaching hospitals
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Wow, Kara. Dr. Gupta is really following up with you for a long time. My daughter-in-law had only one follow-up at like six weeks and that was it, if I remember her telling me correctly. I took her to the bigger city last year for a 10 year follow-up with a new doctor because she is having pain from a protruding rod. Fortunately, her fusion is solid. Her only option for the pain of that rod is to remove her hardware. She's not ready to do that, so she takes some pain meds and muscle relaxants. She also has the stiff neck muscles like I do. Removing the rods wouldn't help that.

I hope your pain goes away soon. Maybe it's like a broken bone healing. When it's finally healed, it's tender for awhile then gets better. Let's hope that's the case with you. I hope you have a good two years! Maybe some day he'll say, "We're done!" Then you can put it out of your mind and just get on with the business of living your life! =)
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Rohrer01 I'm surprised by that. Because my fusion is soild.
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Maybe, since you mentioned you have other orthopedic problems, he is keeping a closer eye on your back to make sure it doesn't aggravate the other problems or that you aren't having trouble with your hardware like my daughter-in-law is having. He is very thorough and a much better doctor than my daughter-in-law had. Her parents didn't know about Shriner's or of any good doctors. She went to a local doctor that used to do fusions on kids only until she hurt her shoulder. So we don't have ANY scoliosis surgeons in our area now. I'm glad you are close enough to a major city where you can get good follow-up. We are within two hours of a major city where we found a better doctor for her. It's just too bad that they didn't know about the better doctors before she had her surgery. Although, she did get a fairly good correction down to about 20o. Her rotation was really severe and was probably more of the problem than her actual Cobb angle. I think a better doctor could have done a better job. But, she's happy with how it turned out. She stands very straight and doesn't look like she's twisting. Maybe the rib hump is from the deformation left in the ribs.
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

That true I do have other orthopedic disorders
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment