Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain 3 Years Post Op

Hi All,

I haven't been on the forum in quite some time! That is a good thing, as I've had no pain or problems since my surgery 3 years ago.

HOWEVER, now I seem to be having an issue. I THINK it's just muscle related, and my surgeon's office guessed the same based on my initial phone call, but I'd like to run this by all of you too.

I am at home full time caring for my 1.5 year old baby, and I seem to have "pulled" something while changing diapers so often . I must have bent forward in the wrong way or stressed something, as the pain is on the left side of my fusion, right in the middle (I am fused T5 - L1). It is a sharp sensation when I bend or reach forward, sort of like a muscle is being pulled from the fusion area.

I guess I'm not sure whether or not I really NEED to go back into my surgeon's office as I really do not want to spend the money and take the time if it's just muscular. Has anyone else had this happen? Until now I haven't had any pain whatsoever, so this is worrisome to me.

Thank you,
    Jamie

If you have someone push on the area, does it hurt? Can they feel if there is the end of a broken rod there?

Just throwing out guesses here.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Jamie

I had an event at 23 months post where I pulled something and had a 1” circle of 9-10 level pain at my L3 area just off to the side. It lasted 14 days. My surgeon said it was a soft tissue injury.

The pain quit suddenly on the 14th day.....funny how nerve related pain is like that, just like a light switch, on or off.

Lifting children is not an easy thing to do.....even with a normal back. And these kids feel like “lead” at a year and a half. 30# feels like 100# (smiley face) Why are the kids getting heavier? lol

How bad is the pain? 1-10 scale?

With the way they have these co-pays and deductibles setup these days, I cant blame you for waiting. I had to foot the bill on my neck MRI last spring. That was painful. $1800 for a cervical MRI these days. Laying down and taking it easy is our first line of defense.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

No, it does not hurt if I push on the area - I can feel "something" but I feel the same thing on the other side (which does not hurt). It does appear to be muscular, I suppose.

Ed, your description sounds like what I'm dealing with. The pain is bad, it's like a stabbing pain, but it goes away when I get out of whatever position is bothering me. It just doesnt feel like a traditional muscular pain so "soft tissue injury" makes more sense. It has lasted more than 2 weeks though - this has been more like a month or 6 weeks, so far. Upsetting because I'm finally about to get back on skis this winter - after surgery, pregnancy, etc... I don't want to end up with a "bad back" afterward!

Thank you all. Will keep you posted..

Comment

Hi All,

I just wanted to close the loop on this thread, as this pain actually did go away. I got a "trigger point" massage and I'm not sure if that did it, but a few days later the pain did start to go away. The massage therapist I met with really worked the area where the pain was but all of the connecting muscles too in the area. I now am finally taking my back a little more seriously, realizing that having such limited mobility in the fusion area (which is only 9 vertebrae for me, I know it could be worse) really does mean I have to keep those muscles loose. I continue to get massages every so often.

I hope my experience can help others who may experience something similar.

Comment

Working...
          X