PDA

View Full Version : The First Look

tae_tap
01-01-2014, 09:52 PM
I took the first picture of my back tonight. Something came over me. I was ready to look. I was too terrified before. I've never felt normal. Made me cry for I actually have hips/waist that I have never had. I didn't mind the scar because of the physical change. Now for energy to lose the weight I gained from all the times I couldn't do anything so I can show of those hips and waist.

I'm sure I'm not the first to wait seven weeks to look, and I never knew how emotional it was going to be.

Tamena

jrnyc
01-01-2014, 11:33 PM
very happy for you Tamena...
but i first thought you waited a year to look...
because your signature says surgery was Oct 2012...
confusing...

i hope things look and feel better and better...
happy 2014...

jess...and Sparky

Irina
01-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Jess, she had a revision resently.
Tamena, isn't it a wonderful feeling? I remember looking at my back many times a day because I could not believe my eyes. I was also paranoid that my back will not stay straight and will start curving again. I asked my husband every day in the early recovery if my back was still straight :-)

jrnyc
01-02-2014, 04:22 AM
hi Irina
yes, i know about the revision, and the reason for it...
just that the signature is confusing...

j

jrnyc
01-02-2014, 11:54 AM
nice job fixing signature...makes it much more clear
what happened with your spine...

wishing you the best...
jess...and Sparky

susancook
01-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Tamena, when I first looked at my back, I felt a real disconnect. How could that be MY back? For one reason my whole back was painful and all I saw was a very neat scar tucked into my midline of my entire back. I thought that, crazy thought, that my entire back would be scarred all over.

Now, since I have minimal pain, I look at my back in the mirror and say "wow". I cannot believe that I had such a huge surgery and feel as well as I do. How can that happen? I am 9+ months postop and have some minor pain here and there, some weakness, some limitations, but I am so much better than I was before surgery.

I stood in a line at a museum last week and suddenly got a dťjŗ vu experience of standing in line before surgery, then sitting or lying on the floor after a very short time. A silly grin came over my face.

Be proud of your back, you earned it! Susan

Wish2bstraight
01-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Susan,

It is so good to hear that you can now stand in line without having to lie on the floor.

Libby

PeggyS
01-04-2014, 07:04 AM
So encouraging!

titaniumed
01-04-2014, 10:42 PM
I guess it is emotional looking at your scars....Iíve actually forgotten. After a few years, you donít even look anymore and the scars do blend in quite nicely.

You also forget what it was like before your surgeries.....Susan, if we didnít document what it was like for us, we would forget. Iím glad I documented what happened to me here.

It is nice to be over the pain......the lying on the floor (Iím also guilty) and getting stuck in the rain.....(sounds like a movie title) Starring Dustin Hoffman of course.......Susan, you will have to pick your leading lady. (smiley face)

Whatís truly emotional is the fact that this ďcanĒ be done after all the people in the scoliosis community chipped in over the last 50 years. If it wasnít for them, Dr Moe founding SRS in 1966, and all the pioneerís, and the hardware people, things would be truly miserable. I would be dead.

I am extremely greatful to have a second chance.

Ed

tae_tap
01-06-2014, 05:43 AM
I figured out how to attach my pics from my phone. I will put the starting, first surgery, and final.
Tamena

titaniumed
01-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Nice rack!

Ed

Doodles
01-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Wow, Tamena, that looks awesome! I'm very happy for you. (I just don't have that way with words like Ed does!). Janet

susancook
01-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Wow, Tamena, that looks awesome! I'm very happy for you. (I just don't have that way with words like Ed does!). Janet

Susan,

It is so good to hear that you can now stand in line without having to lie on the floor.

Libby

I am amazed that I can stand without pain. I wonder how long until I take it for granted? It is awesome not to be in pain. Cool. Susan

Irina
01-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Beautiful.

tae_tap
01-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys! I can't believe the transitions that I have gone through the last few weeks. I go from thinking I'm never going to make it to driving for my first time today. It is almost liberating to slowly be getting my life, or should I say a better life back!

I do feel like I am trapped in the dang brace that I hated as a kid/teen, but I know that will just become a normal feeling in time. But at least I got an hour off back then, or more if I snuck it in my school locker. Hehe!

I do also feel like a bobble head at times. Anyone else fused starting at T2 feel like that. I want to have a daily neck/shoulder massage because it feels like it takes all my strength to hold my head up with all this metal work.

All I know is Dr. Kelly performed an amazing work of art with my spine and I feel so blessed to have had God put him and his team in my path.

Tamena