Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SI joint injections for leg pain (post-op spinal fusion w/ screws in pelvis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI joint injections for leg pain (post-op spinal fusion w/ screws in pelvis)

Has anyone had SI joint steroid inj for post-op Leg pain? I have a spinal fusion with pelvic screws and have mid L buttocks pain. This occurs when i walk. My pain management MD thinks that SI joint steroid injection might relieve the pain. I did not have this pain before surgery. Thanks, Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Had one about 6 weeks ago

Hi Susan, I had a steroid injection in my hip joint about 6 weeks ago. After 2 weeks, I had not seen any improvement. I had begun seeing a new physical therapist at that point, and she began treating my fascia. She gave me a medicated patch with batteries in it- the medication was an inflammation reducer, and the batteries (which were flat, like hearing aid batteries) forced positive/negative ions into the joint to stimulate blood flow in the muscle (if I am translating that correctly). I immediately felt relief. My pain doctor told me the injection could take a couple days to kick in, and both of my physical therapists told me they have had patients that it took a couple weeks, and the newer therapist said she often saw results when adding this patch to the injection site. So, I'm not sure what exactly improvement was from- but if I had to do it again, I would start with this therapist and the patch, and then do an injection if the patch doesn't work on its own. It likely was a combination of both, but, I think steroid injections should be a last resort.

Good Luck!

Tiona

Comment

Hi, Susan,

I had two,one in each several weeks ago. Relief was instant and immense. It was a new pain for me as well. The main pain was located in the back of my hip, centered near my sacrum. It radiated up my side and down my leg on the outer side to my knee. It was not a constant pain, more a come and go thing related to my activity. My pain management PA tested for it by having me draw my leg up to my shoulder and twisting the bent leg to the side as far as it would go. Ow means it's positive for SI joint. She said that having the pelvis be fused to the sacrum puts an extra heavy load on the SI joints. Inflammation builds up and if left unabated can destroy it. Go for the shots. After what you've been through they are no biggie!
      Wendy
      Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
      Duke Spine Center
      Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by tiona24 View Post
        Hi Susan, I had a steroid injection in my hip joint about 6 weeks ago. After 2 weeks, I had not seen any improvement. I had begun seeing a new physical therapist at that point, and she began treating my fascia. She gave me a medicated patch with batteries in it- the medication was an inflammation reducer, and the batteries (which were flat, like hearing aid batteries) forced positive/negative ions into the joint to stimulate blood flow in the muscle (if I am translating that correctly). I immediately felt relief. My pain doctor told me the injection could take a couple days to kick in, and both of my physical therapists told me they have had patients that it took a couple weeks, and the newer therapist said she often saw results when adding this patch to the injection site. So, I'm not sure what exactly improvement was from- but if I had to do it again, I would start with this therapist and the patch, and then do an injection if the patch doesn't work on its own. It likely was a combination of both, but, I think steroid injections should be a last resort.

Good Luck!

Tiona
        Thanks, Tiona. If you could get more information on the name of the inflammation reducer. Sounds interesting and I would love to talk to my PT about it and look it up on the Internet. Glad that you are finding relief. Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by WLB1 View Post
          Hi, Susan,

I had two,one in each several weeks ago. Relief was instant and immense. It was a new pain for me as well. The main pain was located in the back of my hip, centered near my sacrum. It radiated up my side and down my leg on the outer side to my knee. It was not a constant pain, more a come and go thing related to my activity. My pain management PA tested for it by having me draw my leg up to my shoulder and twisting the bent leg to the side as far as it would go. Ow means it's positive for SI joint. She said that having the pelvis be fused to the sacrum puts an extra heavy load on the SI joints. Inflammation builds up and if left unabated can destroy it. Go for the shots. After what you've been through they are no biggie!
          Just tried your maneuver....not sure that I got it right. What direction do You pull your leg up? Front, I assume and I tried the twist. Yes, it hurt and right now my whole butt and leg hurts. It still hurts. Something is irritated anyway. Thanks for the information and glad that you had relief. I have it scheduled on Monday at 0730. Similar to you, I have never had a problem with any systemic problem with corticosteroid injections. I do worry about the effect that steroids can have on the bone, so hopefully both of us will not need too many injections. Thanks for the information. Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
            Has anyone had SI joint steroid inj for post-op Leg pain? I have a spinal fusion with pelvic screws and have mid L buttocks pain. This occurs when i walk. My pain management MD thinks that SI joint steroid injection might relieve the pain. I did not have this pain before surgery. Thanks, Susan
            Susan,
            I have had steroid injections in my SI joint for pain in my left buttock and I really didn't get any relief. Some people get relief from them and some don't. If you decide to get one, I sincerely hope that it works for you. Take care, Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Iontophoresis

Susan,

I haven't had surgery but have chronic SI joint pain and the injections have failed because the Drs. said I had too much arthritis which prevents proper needle placement. Anyway, my physiatrist has done a series of the patch procedures and it's called iontophoresis. A steroid medicine was placed on patch and then transmitted transdermally. These treatments have worked very well for me with one caveat. My doctor recommended a series of 10-12 treatments, 2-3x per week for several weeks but I developed a rash after a few treatments each time. The rash was akin to a localized bout of poison ivy. Despite the rash, I kept going for 5-6 treatments and the relief lasted many months. My current insurer limited these treatments but I'll have a new policy/insurer in January and I'll try it again. The relief lasted much longer than the rash, by many months. The second time I had the treatment, a different steroid formulation was used and that was slightly better, but the rash began eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by gardener View Post
                Susan,

I haven't had surgery but have chronic SI joint pain and the injections have failed because the Drs. said I had too much arthritis which prevents proper needle placement. Anyway, my physiatrist has done a series of the patch procedures and it's called iontophoresis. A steroid medicine was placed on patch and then transmitted transdermally. These treatments have worked very well for me with one caveat. My doctor recommended a series of 10-12 treatments, 2-3x per week for several weeks but I developed a rash after a few treatments each time. The rash was akin to a localized bout of poison ivy. Despite the rash, I kept going for 5-6 treatments and the relief lasted many months. My current insurer limited these treatments but I'll have a new policy/insurer in January and I'll try it again. The relief lasted much longer than the rash, by many months. The second time I had the treatment, a different steroid formulation was used and that was slightly better, but the rash began eventually.
                Just a suggestion and you have probably already thought about this....my guess is that you may be allergic to the vehicle that carries the steroid or the adhesive in the patch. Another possibility....any chance that Your rash is shingles (usually phenomenally painful, but maybe the steroid mediated the pain?) Just some thoughts. Thanks for the suggestions. I will look it up on the Internet.

Susan

Comment

SI steroid inj successful!

I am pleased to report that the SI joint corticosteroid injection greatly decreased my mid buttocks pain. I am very pleased! I was anxious to have relief and of course wanted the pain to decrease IMMEDIATELY....but it took about a week and the pain is gone! Funny thing about pain, but it took me an entire day to realize that the inj worked. It actually took me a day to miss the pain! I suddenly realized that my butt pain was gone, hallelujah! Susan

Comment

Great news Susan. Long may it work.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

That's great, Susan! I'm glad you're getting some relief!
                      Peg
                      61 yrs old
                      75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                      T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                      Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Susan,
                        So glad to hear the steroid helped you.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

It is wonderful relief, isn't it? And the shot, not a problem!
                          Wendy
                          Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
                          Duke Spine Center
                          Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

It is great not to have the L butt pain. Hope that the steroid last for months!.....maybe forever!
                            Susan

Comment

I hope it lasts forever too, Susan! That's great news. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X