PDA

View Full Version : Almost there...6 days to go

jworth
11-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi everyone,

My surgery is on the 18th. I really appreciate all of the support and feedback from everyone here. Does anyone have any tips for what to pack/not pack for the hospital? I know about no jewelry and to bring the basics. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Still not sure about rehab yet and I guess I wont know till I know. Other than that I think I'm ready. I'm reading a great book called Prepare for Surgery, Healing Faster...something like that. Its a great book, if anyone is interested.

Now I just have to wait it out, finish getting stuff ready and home and spend lots of time with my hubby and wonderful kids.

Jill

tae_tap
11-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Waiting is the hardest part. Just bring the basics to the hospital. You won't care about much more. Good luck! Your in my prayers.
Tamena

Doodles
11-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Jill--
Clothing wise you need very little. Changes of underwear and a robe would be main thing. As Tamena said you won't care! Rehab not much different but I do recall a couple times wearing a zip-up sweatshirt and sweat pants. Very best wishes to you for your surgery and recovery. Janet

Irina
11-12-2013, 02:13 PM
The best thing I brought to the hospital were velcro straps. You can use them to tie the pain medication button to the rail of the bed. I don't remember how it's called, but you'd have a button that you can press and release pain killer. It's easy to lose this button in a bed and you might have a hard time searching for it. An easy fix - use velcro straps or something to tie this button to the bed rail so that you know where it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Velcro-Cable-Ties-Inch/dp/B00000J1SC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1384286859&sr=8-13&keywords=velcro+straps

jackieg412
11-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Bring chap stick--helps with dry lips. Other than that--you really won't care about much--like reading or calling. Wear easy to put on clothes to the hospital--so they will be the easiest ones to put on after. I went to rehab in PJ's--it was the easiest and I still needed help.

susancook
11-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Jill, I could have been buck naked for my hospital stay, and I probably would not have minded it. Chapstick is a good recommendation, but I did not read any of the books that I brought nor do I remember very much about my 10 days at UCSF. Maybe they just have good drugs in San Francisco. You might like some music that you enjoy via headphones.

Relax and wear the hospital gowns and robes so you don't need to take home dirty clothes.

Wishing you the best, Susan

golfnut
11-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Jill,
I'll be sending positive thoughts your way on the 18th. This was the toughest time for me. Soon your surgery will be behind you and you can start the recovery process. Best of luck!

JenniferG
11-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone,

My surgery is on the 18th. I really appreciate all of the support and feedback from everyone here. Does anyone have any tips for what to pack/not pack for the hospital? I know about no jewelry and to bring the basics. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Still not sure about rehab yet and I guess I wont know till I know. Other than that I think I'm ready. I'm reading a great book called Prepare for Surgery, Healing Faster...something like that. Its a great book, if anyone is interested.

Now I just have to wait it out, finish getting stuff ready and home and spend lots of time with my hubby and wonderful kids.

Jill

Wishing you the best possible outcome and recovery, Jill!

PeggyS
11-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Love the velcro idea!

Sending prayers your way, Jill!

titaniumed
11-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Maybe they just have good drugs in San Francisco.

Thatís a good assumption....(smiley face)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U

Irinaís velcro advice for the PCA is a great idea!

Cell phone, chapstick, and a positive attitude!

Having a good support team, loved ones and inner circle around......

Deep breaths Jill....

Ed

jworth
11-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks everyone! Love the Velcro idea and I'm glad to get the reminder about chapstick. I really appreciate all of the good wishes and support. I'll post an update as soon as I can afterwards :)

Jill

djkinkead
11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah, they do give you some good drugs. What you probably should bring is a robe. I brought one that zips in the front. Clothes easy to put on after are good. You really won't be thinking much about books, etc. You will concentrate on getting out of the bed, how to roll over, walking, stairs, etc...

Will be saying prayers for your surgery.

Dollie

PeggyS
11-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Jill:

Sending prayers your way, as you prepare for tomorrow's surgery.

jackieg412
11-17-2013, 07:51 AM
JILL
We all wish you well and will be praying for you.
Jackie

gardenia
11-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Enjoy your day of clear liquids ... ask for a private room tomorrow at check-in as it is worth having a companion with you and also not have to share 'smells, groans, moans, talking, tv, bedpans and etc' with a roommate.

I had someone stay with me 24 hrs as I panick being strapped to the bed. Barnes Jewish orthopedic floors are greatly staffed but their IV units and many other stuff really need an upgrade. The units beep loudly and calling the nurses takes a long time at night. Those noises are part of the staff's white noise but it could drive patients crazy.

I had a new buckwheat hull pillow that was great to conform to my head and neck.... plastic cover ones at the hospital is rude....

and a sweater to even wrap you neck if needed something of comfort

titaniumed
11-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Jill

Wishing you the best....

Hang in there

Ed