Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the Surgery Decision

Hi...

If you're considering surgery, I have a new tool on my website to help you understand some of the things that should be considered:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/ShouldYouHaveSurgery.htm

If you use the tool, I'd love your feedback, especially in terms of whether any questions were difficult or impossible to answer.

Regards,
    Linda

P.S. Thanks to Dave Wolpert, Karen Ocker, & Dr. Serena Hu for their input.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Hi

This is a great idea! I am already on a surgical list (waiting times in the UK are 12-18 months) so the decision has already been made, but all the same it's nice to feel you're doing the right thing!

I did wonder about the second question through - what if you're over 30 and have a curve of >50. In your Q&A you only seem to allow for under 30 with big curve or over 30 with small curve? Or is it just that if neither of those applies you simply score no points?

Interestingly, I came to the decision about surgery after much soul searching (as you may have gathered from previous posts), but this came out as 19 points should have surgery and 1 point against!

I do think it could be a very useful tool for a lot of people and thank you for putting in the effort of doing it.
    Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
    Post op 30(T)/33(L)
    http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Pips...

I intentionally left a lot of people out on the second question (based on Dave Wolpert's recommendation). We decided that scoliosis surgery is really elective for moderate curves in younger people, and that it shouldn't have influence (either positive or negative).

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hey Linda,

I tried your surgery decision test and felt that it was very straight forward and to the point. I didn't have any problems with any of the questions. I think it's a great idea!
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Thanks Theresa!

Comment

Working...
          X