Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 months post-op and having some backache : Tylenol, Motrin, or Tramadol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 months post-op and having some backache : Tylenol, Motrin, or Tramadol?

I am 7 months post-op and I am having some back aches and am looking for a medication for pain. The pain is in thoracic and lower lumbar area and it feels like there is something stapled to my upper back & butt. That is not an eloquent medical description, but it most accurately describes my feelings. Dr. Hu thought that the "butt" feeling might be related to the pelvic screws and the upper was muscular.

So, I am asking for suggested meds that are non-narcotic and the only 3 that I know are Tramadol, Ibuprofen, and/or Tylenol. What have people in this situation found works?

Thanks, Susan and her continuing menopausal pregnancy......
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

I wonder if it's inflammation from your falls? I think at 7 months you could take ibuprofen, though I didn't use it until after one year. But I notice several patients here, were allowed by their surgeons, to take ibuprofen after 6 months.

Ibuprofen has always worked wonders for me, it's my "drug of choice." <grin> Can you ask Dr. Hu if you can take ibuprofen for a few days to see if it gets rid of the soreness?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Susan,

I would suggest extra-strength tylenol twice per day along with either the tramadol or advil on a regular schedule. For instance, in the AM take two ES tylenol along with a dose of advil (400-600 mg), then repeat this in the afternoon. Whatever you choose, if you are suffering a pain flair after your fall, try taking your med doses on a regular schedule so you can try to get ahead of the pain, rather than waiting until it gets bad again.

Tramadol also goes well with tylenol, but it is not super-strong. I don't care for how it makes me feel. It does nothing to address inflammation as Jennifer mentions, so to me the advil/tylenol combo would be my first choice.

Don't forget to rest and use heat several times a day. I know how hard it is for us go-getters to rest and allow our bodies to heal, but it must be done or your body will take drastic measures against you to get the rest it needs!

Take care, hang in there,
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Tramadol

i am so sorry that you are in pain from the surgery.

Your info about Tramadol is incorrect. It's an opiate, although a synthetic opiate/narcotic. It is used in dogs and also in people. You can easily find info on it on the web. You may also find that valium or xanax will help you to care less about the pain. You can also get a 60 mg Toradol injection once per month.

Comment

Skillaxin or another muscle relaxer help. I use tramadol, am used to the feeling, caused I would think by tramadol's up ticking of serotonin in the brain thus helping you be happy about your pain. Valium and Xanax both have muscle relaxing qualities. I was prescribed those just after my surgery for the muscle spasms caused by their being traumatized. My surgeon told me to go back on my Celebrex at my 4 month apt. I had an immediate reduction in my rib pain, from 6 to 1. Anti inflamatories like Celebrex or ibuprophen lessen pain by blocking the action of Cox enzymes. Ibuprophen blocks Cox 1, Celebrex blocks Cox 2. Both these enzymes are necessary for your body to build new bone, which they do by causing an inflammation around injured tissue. Calcium and other blood products come along to put out the fire and are deposited thereby. Good for bone building, bad for joints and soft tissue. This is the mechanism that causes osteophytes or bone spurs to grow. The Cox 1 enzyme is responsible for replacing stomach lining which has a high cell turnover due to the stomach acid. This means that anyone taking either Ibuprophen or Celebrex needs to also on some type of antacid to prevent holes from forming in the stomach lining. How do I know? I was the owner of a "Holey Stomach", also known as a gastric bleed about ten years ago. I was always having severe back pain and was on the max dosage of Celebrex. I was also tossing back ibuprophen for a bizarre stomach ache that recurred when the ibuprophen wore off every three to four hours. The anti inflamatories did such a good job of killing my stomach pain that I almost bled to death without knowing it. Sorry, I have written way TMI, but here is the takeaway. If your purpose is to change the way your brain deals with pain, choose tramadol or Tylenol. They work the same as the opiates but at a much lower level. If you want something to work at the site of the pain, you want an anti inflamatory. If you choose the second one, be careful about your stomach. Leave the tacos alone, as well as all their spicy friends. You also need to ask your surgeon about using them. If it feels like a muscle spasm, try a heating pad. If that helps the pain it is possible that a muscle relaxer or a tranquilizer like Xanax will help. Good luck, and I am so sorry you are in pain.
          Wendy
          Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
          Duke Spine Center
          Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

What hurts exactly?

I went back to Celebrex for my joints at 6 months. However once the nerve endings returned or whatever, my back skin and muscles blocks would feel like rock. I guess they were either inflamed or spasmatic for whatever activities during the day (mostly applying for a job at a supermarket to be laying with the green vegetables for show)

But at night the back would hurt.

Super extra strength generic BenGay from Target took away all the pain with the strong burning. However, I could not do it myself because it would then burn my hands with extra cold which I cannot warm up (use a glove or use the husband).

During that time, while my back felt 100% painless, my feet and hands were freezing even it was middle of summer down here in the dessert. I was about 7-8 months post op.

Hope this might be of some temporary help. I take 500mg or rarely go double for any extra pain that almost never exist. If I feel a pain or a pull, I accommodate my body and the pain & pulling ceases.

Good luck....
            Gardenia
            Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
            pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
            Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
            T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are awesome in sharing your experiences.
              Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
              X