Visit with Dr. Bagley, Hallelujah! Second post op fusion L6 t S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit with Dr. Bagley, Hallelujah! Second post op fusion L6 t S2

We did the five hour drive to Durham, NC, to have my second post op visit with my amazing, so amazing that my three month second visit couldn't be scheduled until I was four months out, Neurosurgeon, Dr. Bagley, yesterday. We waited til three for a one o'clock apt. One of the nurses in reply to the question, "Are you busy?" said, "So busy, cause Dr. Bagley brings the busy with him." It was a wonderful visit. I had four main questions, and was rewarded with definitive answers to each. I won't go into all of it except to say that by comparing X-rays of before surg and now, while my curves are totally straight, both my pelvis and shoulder girdle are not. My upper spine is collapsing, and one of my legs is longer due to a bad ankle. The most important thing he told me was that I have his ok to resume Celebrex! He feels that since I was on it forever before surgery and my body was used to it that not taking it was more detrimental to me now than it would be to take it. He felt all my residual pain was inflammation, and he was right. He said all the inflammation would destroy the rest of my spine if it were not halted. I restarted the Celebrex yesterday, and the awful chest pains are gone. I was able to really work out today...to my max, and only had to take ten minutes to full recovery. I think what my visit taught me is that I must be prepared for the visit with questions. I have read here on the forum that anti inflamatory drugs can't be taken for six months to a year. My guy said that the bone is regenerated the first six weeks, after that, when pain was as bad as mine, it is inflammation. We all need to ask our Doctors what there rules are for us as individuals, because we all vary so much.
    Wendy
    Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
    Duke Spine Center
    Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Taking the celebrex again has helped the pain immensely. I am working now on weaning off the Percocet. I was on three 5/325 per day, down to 2.5 now. I am so looking forward to being completely off the narcotics! Perhaps my mind fog will clear up some...at least I won't have to endure watching the nurse at the Pain Management Clinic count my pain pills. I have also seen a huge increase in my energy levels. Making the bed again in the morning instead of staying in it all day is wonderful. The trip to Durham did not exhaust me this time. I think I might actually have a life again. For a while there I was doubtful about that.
    Wendy
    Duke Spine Center

Comment

I am glad that you are progressively doing better. It is a journey. You will find yourself more and more out of bed, like you said. While I hoped for big changes quickly, I settled for small changes here and there. It is a hassle asking for controlled substances and the people in the pain control clinic make you feel sometimes like they think that you are an abuser. I understand why they act like they do, so don't take it personally. Step down slowly on your meds.

Congratulations on doing so well. There may be some setbacks, but you will find yourself going forward on the whole.

Take care, Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

So glad to hear you now have the medication that gives you back your life. Take it easy, don't race out and take on the world. Gently, gently! Long may this last.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yea!! WLB1 - so happy to hear your dr visit went well & you're regaining energy!
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

So last night my body let me know it isn't quite ready to go totally off the Percocet. Woke up in pain. First time in a month. Baby steps indeed.
            Wendy
            Duke Spine Center

Comment

Hi WLB,

I know you posted that you felt great on the celebrex and ran round doing a lot of things, but I would urge you to be much more careful about increasing your activity! You are on track to overdo things and maybe even suffer a soft tissue injury if you over do it at this point. Your muscles and soft tissues still have a whole lot of healing to do. Please don't jeopardize your fusion by doing too much this early in your recovery. You are definitely not fully healed yet.
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi there WLB, I was surprised by your surgeon's recommendation on your use of an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory so soon after your spine surgery. I tried to find information about fusion and recommendations for anti-inflammatory use in the research literature, and basically there was nothing definitive. There are mostly animal studies and human studies using short term NSAIDS immediately postoperative. I did not find and double blind placebo trials with COX-2 inhibitors, but i did find one source that mentioned that theoretically that they did not inhibit bone remodeling. None of the sources that I reviewed mentioned timing of adding in any NSAIDs postop. Also, I know that there are various individual components to healing such as concomitant diseases, age, osteoporosis, smoking, stress, nutritional status, diabetes, medication use such as NSAIDs and chemotherapeutic agents, etc. In making any decision, you need to weigh the pros and cons.
                I hope that you are doing well in healing from surgery and in managing your other health problems. Wouldn't it be easier in life if we could just have one problem at a time?

Susan
                Last edited by susancook; 11-09-2013, 03:57 PM. Reason: More research done.....a fascinating topic!
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Hi, Gayle, thanks for the reminder to take it easy...I have today. My body has a way of reminding me I am overdoing. Learning to listen...whole new life skill. Fake it til I make it was my previous motto, along with never let them see you cry. Those ideas were remodeled along with my spine. I had been invited to a party two hours away from me tonight, I had to decline. Staying up late and long drives are two things on my "Not to Do" list. I hate I will miss seeing everyone, but I don't hate the aftermath. Exercising to my max now is what a warm up used to be.

Susan, I looked up the NSAIDs, too. Found out that they do inhibit new bone growth, like osteophytes. One of the reasons I went to Dr. Bagley is that besides being a top notch nuerosurgeon, he is also a researcher with a focus on scoliosis and issues with the spine and a Professor at Duke University. He is up to date on these things. For me, osteoarthritis started when I was still in my thirties. My scoliosis went from undiagnosable to critical in less than six years. Since surgery I have had deterioration of some joints in my hands and feet as well as my hip, knee and SI joint. My thought is that my Doctor weighed the pros and cons of celebrex for me and decided to advise me to take them. I would not want anyone else to take NSAIDs without approval from their Doctors.
                  Wendy
                  Duke Spine Center

Comment

Originally posted by WLB1 View Post
                    Hi, Gayle, thanks for the reminder to take it easy...I have today. My body has a way of reminding me I am overdoing. Learning to listen...whole new life skill. Fake it til I make it was my previous motto, along with never let them see you cry. Those ideas were remodeled along with my spine. I had been invited to a party two hours away from me tonight, I had to decline. Staying up late and long drives are two things on my "Not to Do" list. I hate I will miss seeing everyone, but I don't hate the aftermath. Exercising to my max now is what a warm up used to be.

Susan, I looked up the NSAIDs, too. Found out that they do inhibit new bone growth, like osteophytes. One of the reasons I went to Dr. Bagley is that besides being a top notch nuerosurgeon, he is also a researcher with a focus on scoliosis and issues with the spine and a Professor at Duke University. He is up to date on these things. For me, osteoarthritis started when I was still in my thirties. My scoliosis went from undiagnosable to critical in less than six years. Since surgery I have had deterioration of some joints in my hands and feet as well as my hip, knee and SI joint. My thought is that my Doctor weighed the pros and cons of celebrex for me and decided to advise me to take them. I would not want anyone else to take NSAIDs without approval from their Doctors.
                    It would be great if we just had one problem at a time. I hope that you feel better soon on all fronts. Congratulations on trying to slow down and take care of yourself. It is challenging to try to have a life while trying to recuperate from surgery. Take care of yourself, Susan

Comment

Working...
                    X