X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergic reaction starting...?

tonite i have a rash...little bumps, first i felt them to the touch, under
    the skin...now they are turning red...trying not to scratch, as some of
    them are itchy....mostly chest, a few on right cheek...
    blood pressure elevated...systolic number in high range, diastolic in
    normal range...
    sore throat, which is not listed as side effect...the rash and blood pressure
    are listed on website...

i was hoping this would not happen...
    Vioxx almost killed me when it cut off my breathing...
    Celebrex caused rash....
    both those reactions were many years ago...didnt take any NSAID's until recently,
    with Diclofenac.

i knew i was taking a chance by taking Diclofenac...discussed it with
    pain doctor...
    hoped i would have no reaction...

oh well, it gave me good relief with left hip pain...and some pain relief
    with pain connected to scoli, arthritis, and stenosis...
    looks like it is now off my list of what i can take...

can't remember exact time of when i took it last..hope this reaction doesn't
    get worse.

jess...and Sparky

I would suggest that you stop taking the med, take some Benedryl and if you have any difficulty breathing, call 911. Consider going to the ER before you have trouble breathing. I hope that you feel better in the morning.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

thanks for the concern, susan...

the reaction has been the rash, and high blood pressure...the "isolated
      systolic" kind of high blood pressure, with a high systolic number and
      normal diastolic...
      those were the two reactions i had that are listed as "severe" on the list
      of allergic reactions on the website about Diclofenac...

nothing else happened, besides a sore throat, which is not listed as an
      allergic reaction, and stayed mild...
      i did not take Benedryl...when i had the bad (stopped breathing) reaction to Vioxx years ago, i took Benedryl and had a rapid heartbeat ALL nite long...i have not risked Benedryl or ANY such medication since that nite...

for now, i still have the rash...blood pressure is lower, but systolic is still a little high...
      i expect rash to disappear over the next few days...
      noticing MILD chest pain left side, was not there last nite....?

so...i cannot take any NSAIDS....have reacted to Vioxx, Celebrex, and now Diclofenac...

not good...since i am not getting steroid shots anymore, makes pain control dependent on narcotic pain killers...which i am not happy about...

thanks for "listening"
      jess...and Sparky
      Last edited by jrnyc; 11-04-2013, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Jess,

Just joined and saw your post--I hope everything is settling down. Please call your doctor and run your symptoms by them.

Please don't ignore any chest pain!

Take care, hope this will pass soon.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

thanks, leah...
          everything is calming down, thank goodness.
          i think it will be OK...got lucky that reaction was not worse...

internet says Diclofenac can stay in body about 11-12 hours, so it should be
          gone from my body.
          i will probably call my GP...but i think the worst is over...
          chest pain is passing...pressure down....rash still there for now.

thanks again...
          jess
          Last edited by jrnyc; 11-04-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I hope that you are feeling better. Like Leah recommended, I would at least pass the symptoms, especially the chest pain by your primary provider. I would suggest that when you try any drugs in the future that you start at a very low dose to check for allergy.

Hope that today is better than yesterday!
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi Jess, I am so sorry that you are reacting badly to Diclofenic, especially since it has been so effective for your pain. I was on Diclofenic when I discovered it was destroying my kidneys. I am pretty much in the same boat as you. No NSAIDS for me either. I take Tramadol but don't think it does much. I get sick on narcotics. Tylenol is about all I can take for pain and it does help somewhat but I am very careful not to take too much. I don't want liver problems too. I really think that an occasional cortisone shot would be OK for you, but I know that scares you. Have you ever tried acupuncture? I have been thinking about it if it would help. Has anyone out there tried acupuncture and did it help with pain?
              Take care, Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

thanks for the concern....
                the chest pain is gone....the blood pressure came down...
                rash is still there, but not itchy...i expect it to take a few days
                to clear up.

Sally, i tried acupuncture years ago...i liked the little "thumb tacks,"
                as i call them, that they put in my ears...for relaxation and mood elevation...
                but i did not like acupuncture done in my back...that was just my own
                personal reaction to it...but i know plenty of people who swear by
                acupuncture for pain relief...so i do not think you can know how you
                might do with it unless you try it yourself...
                i am so sorry that there are no medications that you can take for pain..
                i hope you can find some kind of tx that can help relieve some of the
                pain you live with...an injection of some kind...?

thanks again for the replies and concern
                jess...and Sparky

Comment

Jess, this sounds scary.

Except for the cortisol drop, is this the worse reaction you have had to a med?

I hope those symptoms have gone.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Jess,
                    This distresses me, too! Your symptoms are a little confusing, though. I agree that stopping was the correct thing to do. However, the sore throat, fever, and chest pain may or may not be related. If your blood pressure was elevated, it was obviously doing something to your cardiovascular system, so that doesn't totally surprise me. I do know that when your histamine levels elevate (allergic response) it can sometimes cause a fever. As for the benedryl, I had a similar reaction to it ONE time. I was taking another med that made me more sensitive to the drug. It can cause a cholinergic response if you get too much diphenhydramine (benedryl). That response is basically a very rapid heart rate and anxiety caused by too much choline (neurotransmitter) to be released in the brain. Your body kind of goes haywire for a bit. You may just have a low tolerance for it and just need a child sized dose. I would talk to your doctor about that. There are other antihistamines out there. You should find a good one that you can take since you do have these problems with drug allergies. It's best to get them on board as soon as you notice a reaction happening.

I feel your frustrations about the narcotics. All I can say when I'm feeling that way is I'm thankful that they are available to me. Imagine how difficult/impossible life would be without them. I hope you can get something that makes you feel better!

((((HUGS)))) to YOU
                    Tweets and Woofs to Sparky
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

hi Sharon and rohr...
                      i had a worse reaction to Vioxx, Sharon...
                      it cut off my breathing...and Celebrex gave me hives, so i knew i was
                      taking a big chance and likely to have a reaction to Diclofenac...and sure
                      enough...but this time, i was lucky and the reaction was not as bad...did
                      not involve my breathing, and chest pain went away fast...
                      it took hours for the blood pressure to go down, and the rash is still
                      there, but i know it will disappear after a while...feel VERY lucky it was
                      not a worse allergic reaction, but i know i cannot take any more NSAIDs

rohr, i did not get a fever...just the rash first, then blood pressure quickly,
                      then sore throat....i do not think the sore throat had anything to do with it...
                      today i feel like i am coming down with a bug of some kind...not related
                      to NSAID thing...
                      but i know i was pushing my luck with Diclofenac...i remember writing on
                      forum that i was puzzled that i did not have an allergic reaction to it
                      when i first started taking it...
                      i am thankful that i did get the months of pain relief that the
                      Diclofenac gave me, before i reacted badly to it...especially considering how badly the left hip was hurting me...

i will ask my GP about the Benedryl thing when i see her...interesting info you gave me about it...thanks!

hugs, tweets and a big woof...
                      jess...and Sparky
                      Last edited by jrnyc; 11-05-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

ouch....i was getting more relief from Diclofenac than i thought...
                        as soon as i started walking Sparky, the left hip pain kicked in and
                        then the back pain, at waist level...
                        rats...there is no NSAID that is safe for me to take...
                        ouch

Comment

Working...
                        X