PT exercises on all fours and tight pants :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT exercises on all fours and tight pants :-(

I'm just past 8 months and was doing really well for a while - at the 6.5 month mark I started taking Aleve on a regular basis, which made me feel so much better that I went through two weeks of what turned out to be too much activity and ended up with a scary flareup of pain right before the 8 month point. I took it easy for a week and am slowly trying to increase my activity - at least I'm feeling better, but not pain-free. So two questions for the group:
    1. In PT, my therapist has me get on all fours (hands and knees), which feels fine, but when I start to lift one leg or one arm at a time, my back feels pretty fiery. It's not pain per se, just the muscles seem to burn and overall are pretty cranky. It also happens as I start to stretch (gently!) into child's pose. My guess is that it's weak muscles, but has anyone experienced this?
    2. I seem to have developed the pooch or the flabby tummy muscles that some people have complained about, but I also can't seem to stand tight waistbands anymore - it's like my waistline is too sensitive and can't handle constriction. Anyone else have this problem? Thank goodness for Eileen Fisher elastic waistband pants and skirts...

Thanks, aileen

I was doing exercises on all four that you described and my muscles were achy in the beginning too. I think it's normal for back muscles to flare up after being inactive for so long. I don't do this exercise often because I swim using breast stroke and it's the same movement. I haven't tried a child's pose.

As for tummy - are you developing a pooch just now or was it there since the surgery? I looked like six months pregnant after the surgery because of hematoma, but my abs are much better now. Can you ask your physical therapist for some core strengthening exercises? I have a friend who complained about pooch and she said that the only exercises that helped her were planks and push-ups. But you have to be careful with those - I did 40 push-ups a day (not all at once, of course) plus many other exercises for arms, and I have some shoulder issues now. I think I overdid it and taking it easy now.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Aileen...

If you're having back pain (fiery) when you're performing an exercise, I'm guessing that your surgeon would say don't do that.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am sure Linda is right. It's hard to be patient. I eventually was able to regain all of the muscle tone I had before surgery, but it was at least a year. Whenever I overdid it, I paid for it. It's just not worth it.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I've stopped doing the exercise where I lift one arm or one leg at a time while on all fours - so far so good as I slowly increase my cardio level. Instead I just hang out on all fours and let my back get used to the balance load - hope to be inching back towards doing a plank someday! Thanks for the advice, it is just frustrating since it feels like I'm taking baby steps and I want to do more, though the flare up in back pain was not pleasant and I don't want to go through that again if I can help.

Comment

Working...
          X