Horse back riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse back riding

Hello all! Tomorrow is my 5 year anniversary from my posterior surgery. (Anterior in 6 weeks). I have not seen my Dr. in 3 years. It was I was doing so well, I'll call him if I need to. His parting words were "if you can do it, you can do it". Horseback riding had been my love but had to quit about 3 years before my surgery due to pain. I got on one yesterday and it would take work but was not to painful. My fear is the jolting on vertebrae above my fusion. I am now 59 yoa. Has anyone else gone back to riding with a lower fusion and pelvic rods?
    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
    Age 54
    T10 to Sacrum
    Curve 65 degrees
    Very straight now!!!

Hi Nancy Joy. I saw your name and thought, "there's a blast from the past!"

Congrats on your 5 year anniversary! Mine is in March next year.

I haven't ridden a horse but like you, would be concerned about the unfused vertebra above your fusion. I guess it depends how good a rider you are. I don't think I'd be good enough. I haven't seen my surgeon since my one year anniversary and he suggested I shouldn't run due to the jolting of my unfused vertebra. I've *almost* done as I was told.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi. Here is what I am dealing with that may or may not be relevant...

I don't have scoliosis but I re-herniated a lumbar disk about 1.5 years ago on 12 March 2012 (original herniation was in 1991). I took about a month off riding and then rode for the next 1.5 years with daily pain. I finally realized my disk would not heal and I would have daily pain if I did not step off and stop riding for a few months. I sent my horse to my trainer's to stay in training and I have not ridden since late August 2013. I used 400 mg of Motrin twice a day for about a month for inflammation. After 1.5 weeks of not riding, my daily pain disappeared. I will stay off my horse for at least two months and maybe three because I don't want to take a chance and have to start this whole process again. This is the longest I have ever not ridden since I bought my present horse almost nine years ago. If it wasn't for the realization that my daily pain would never go away, I would not have stepped off. I would get the level fused if I thought the recovery would be shorter but I don't think it will be.

I don't know if this is relevant but I can represent to you that even without scoliosis, riding is somewhat tough on the back. I know expert riders who have back pain/injury and that is from CORRECT riding. My two herniated disks were almost certainly riding injuries just from riding itself... I have never fallen off my present horse or the one I was riding in the early 1990s.

If you resume riding, I suggest a gaited horse and to post any trot/jog that is the least bit jarring. Do not attempt to sit a trot/jog, especially after being away so long. When I finally get back on, I plan to avoid sit trot and also to take half seat in canter for several months just so I don't backslide and have to start over.

Good luck.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks, Pooka for your insight. They put cement in the upper vertebrae but............ I have always had a theory that if you think you shouldn't do something than why would you? However, you can understand my love of horses. Giving up was such a grieving process and I have just stayed away even though we still own some. My dear husband--- this is the second time he has bought one "for me" and I know he is just trying to be sweet and not give up hope. I sold the last one (he surprised me with one 2 years ago) who was FABULOUS (wish I would have had her before) to a family with 5 children to love. Common sense tells me to tread with my brain and not my heart on this matter. If I did, it would be only for "walking" trail rides but we both know they are animals and things can go wrong fast.

Jennifer- so good you are still here. It hit me with my "anniversary" that I hadn't been here in so long. It was SUCH a help to me during my process and I just got a calling to come back and be a model for those where we were 5 years ago. How are you doing? I see titaniumed is still posting and really anxious to catch up there also. Is Suzy Bee still on?
        Nancy Joy

Age 54
        T10 to Sacrum
        Curve 65 degrees
        Very straight now!!!

Comment

Jennifer- so good you are still here. It hit me with my "anniversary" that I hadn't been here in so long. It was SUCH a help to me during my process and I just got a calling to come back and be a model for those where we were 5 years ago. How are you doing? I see titaniumed is still posting and really anxious to catch up there also. Is Suzy Bee still on?[/QUOTE]

I am doing great Nancy, thanks for asking. No pain. I couldn't be happier with my surgery, wondering what I did to deserve such a wonderful result, actually! Life has resumed as 99% normal. Very minor things like twisting and bending into the back of low cupboards is tricky but doable. Mostly I forget I'm fused. I forget and get into a run, mostly playing with/chasing grandchildren, before I remember I'm not allowed to do that. The trickiest thing is reversing my car, as I'm not confident with judging distances in mirrors, so I tend to turn my whole body around to reverse. Very minor things in the scheme of things.

So good to hear from one of the members from when I joined. Don't be a stranger in future! Those preparing for surgery need to know what it could be like 5 years down the track.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

What about a Tennessee Walking Horse? That breed doesn't require posting and has quite a smooth ride if you have ever ridden a well trained one. I am a former rider and showed a Championship Walking Pony in National Celebration in Shelbyville, TN. Quite a thrill.
            Pam, age 49
            Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
            April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
            T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
              What about a Tennessee Walking Horse? That breed doesn't require posting and has quite a smooth ride if you have ever ridden a well trained one. I am a former rider and showed a Championship Walking Pony in National Celebration in Shelbyville, TN. Quite a thrill.
              Did you see a lot of soring? The authorities are still trying to crack down on that. I saw a sickening video of how they beat a horse on the head if he flinched when touched where he was sored. It was the sickest thing I had seen in a quite a while. These people should be sored and then beaten if they flinch so they know what that's like. Horrors of human beings all of them.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

To the OP, the suggestion of TN WH is a good one. Maybe you can save one from being sored. I met one and he was VERY sweet. I am told most members of the breed are quite sweet.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I

Well, call me crazy. My husband is heading home with a horse as I type. I will take this very slowly and stop if I feel it is too much. We also had done some saddle shopping to see my size and type I felt comfortable in. I used to like barrel saddles for the support of my back but now they hit wrong and western is the one for me. (I also need a 15" rather than 14" now- !) I have an arena to work in and she is a good size for me. Being 5'2" the 16 hands are just a little much now- ha! I will be thrilled beyond belief if all I ever do is walk a trail ride and really don't plan on any more. I jet ski like crazy so am in pretty good shape. I will definitely post if I ever trot. I'll keep you all posted. (pun-pun!)
                  Nancy Joy

Age 54
                  T10 to Sacrum
                  Curve 65 degrees
                  Very straight now!!!

Comment

Congratulations! What's the name?

At 5' 2" you really might do well with a large pony. If I was that size, I would only ride ponies because they are so cute. :-).

YAY!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

That made me laugh. We went to a sale Saturday and there was a Shetland broke to death. Hubby thought that would be great!!
                      Nancy Joy

Age 54
                      T10 to Sacrum
                      Curve 65 degrees
                      Very straight now!!!

Comment

LOL! No actually I am taking about poines in the 14 to 14.2 range. There are some dressage ponies that go for six figures because the supply is limited because there are so few micro-women who are skilled enough to get them to third/fourth level. :-) There are also very pricey pony jumpers.

My point is these are excellent equines and if I was a micro-woman it would be all I rode. :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          Did you see a lot of soring? The authorities are still trying to crack down on that. I saw a sickening video of how they beat a horse on the head if he flinched when touched where he was sored. It was the sickest thing I had seen in a quite a while. These people should be sored and then beaten if they flinch so they know what that's like. Horrors of human beings all of them.
                          Unfortunately, that one video has given the entire Walking Horse Breed a bad name recently thanks to a certain horse trainer from West TN. I speak from experience when I say that not all exhibitors are like that. There are some honest people, I believe, still left in the Walking Horse industry and they are a beautiful breed of horse.
                          Pam, age 49
                          Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                          April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                          T-3 to sacrum

Comment

TWH aren't the only smooth gaiters--there's a whole website dedicated to different kinds of gaited horses: http://www.gaitedhorses.net/

I'm still trying to figure out how you would get on a horse.
                            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                            Before and after xrays:
                            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                            X