Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, first post!

Hello, I am a 25 year old woman.
    I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 9 years old. Until I was 19, I was a Dancer (Ballet), in classes for about 2-3 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, which is why I was not braced.
    When I was 19, I went to Art School and spent the next 5 years bent over a table, designing or sewing, or doing equally detrimental things to my spine. My symptoms started but I chose to ignore them-this was my coping method! When my pain got too "distracting" I used quick fixes- an Osteopath, Loracet, or a few weeks of physical therapy.
    I moved to New York, got a physical therapist and freelanced in my field. Then I landed a really exciting "real job" as an assistant designer, and somehow lost anytime for things like excersize or health!
    Well, needless to say, 2 months after quitting, I am on my way to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion about surgery. I am not really scared- once, my body was an awsome machine for me, now I'm told by doctors that I "have the spine of an 80 year-old"!
    But it is not what doctors have to say that made me consider surgery. I have tried Alternatives, I was raised in a nearly homeopathic lifestyle. I have watched my father (with a similar condition) "avoid surgery" pretty much his whole life, and increasingly as he ages. Well, I don't want to be "avoiding surgery" my whole life! With the way my life has panned out for me recently I can consider the option of surgery an opportunity to fix what is wrong, while I am young and resiliant.
    I am going into it all with a "heal and rebuild" mindframe, and considering all my options along the way. I would really appreciate any feedback on my situation, especially from any older women who can tell me if they think surgery at my age, given my situation is the right idea! I am way open to advice!
    Thankyou!
    Piper
    Last edited by plondon; 02-16-2005, 05:27 PM.

Re: Hello, first post!

Originally posted by plondon
    I have watched my father (with a similar condition) "avoid surgery" pretty much his whole life, and increasingly as he ages. Well, I don't want to be "avoiding surgery" my whole life! With the way my life has panned out for me recently I can consider the option of surgery an opportunity to fix what is wrong, while I am young and resiliant.
    I am going into it with all with a "heal and rebuild" mindframe, and considering all my options along the way. [/B]
    Welcome!

I'm only 2 years older than you, but our situations sound about the same. I'm having the same problems at 27 that my dad was at 80 (he's 86 and bedridden now); and I'd like to catch it before it goes that far.

I've had all the tests the doctor wanted before making a decision and I go back to see him on the 8th of March - I'll post what I find out in my thread titled "Hi All!"
    Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
    Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
    fusion T5-L3
    Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

When I was diagnosed, my curves were in the high 30's. I had another standing x-ray 4 years ago, and recently I've had another standing x-ray and 2 MRIs on my L-spine and T-spine. I don't really know what any of it means as I have my second opinion with all of these films on 2/21. I do know that in the last 4 years I've devoloped DDD in L1-3, and a whole mess of symptoms in my chest, Left shoulder and neck, and I've had pain and numbness in my Left extremities. My breathing is affected, and was even diagnosed as asthma! My digestion is also worse than it used to be, it seems like "worry stomach". Well, I guess I'll know more after the 21st. I know what I could expect, but perhaps the not-knowing makes it feel worse than it really is?!

Comment

How funny - those are my exact symptoms, except on the right. I also have stomach problems, had them since I was small, though. My lung test came out normal, and I was very surprised because I can't even run to the mailbox. Let me know what you find out on the 21st!
        Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
        Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
        fusion T5-L3
        Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Hi plondon, I had surgery in 1984 at the age of 26. I am now 46 so I am sort of an older woman! I am fused from T6 to L3 and have one rod---Harrington. I have lower back pain from time to time but doesn't much of America? I am happy with my surgical outcome. I play tennis, swim, have given birth to 2 beautiful girls, etc. all post surgery. I wish you the very best with your decision.

lcp
          Landra

Comment

I haven't actually ever talked to anyone who had the surgey at my age- I hear alot more pre-teens and teens get it than young adults. Let me ask you, were you having symptoms that made you decide on the surgery? Did you wish you'd gotten it sooner, or waited for that matter?
            And by"older women" I just meant "older than myself", which leaves alot of room! My mom is 62 and she is still young!
            Also, one of the nurses at my last MRI was trying to tell me that when a woman has harrington rods, she must have a C-section. I'm not going to quote her on that one, but it did make it onto my list of questions for the surgeons.

Comment

Hi Plondon--I delivered both my girls vaginally----I have never had a C-section---my deliveries were in 1986 and 1989. (surgery in 1984)
              I decided to have surgery because:
              1. my curve had shown progression
              2. I talked with several of Dr. Dickson's patients and they were all happy
              3. I knew that Dr. Jesse Dickson in Houston had been a student of Harrington's so I believed I had access to a good surgeon--(I lived in Houston at the time)
              4. I was beginning to have mild achiness at the end of each day
              5. Basically I believed the pros outweighed the cons for me.
              No, I do not wish that I had done it sooner or later---
              Keep investigating the way you are doing and you will make the choice that is right for you.
              lcp
              Landra

Comment

Thanks Landra (and Christine!)
                I fly to DC tomorrow evening for my second opinion. This forum has helped me prepare a good list of questions. I'll post what I hear later on.
                By the way, does anyone reading this know Dr. David B. Cohen at Johns Hopkins?
                Thanks for all the info and help so far!

Comment

Working...
                X