No announcement yet.

How to Properly Dispose of Medication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Properly Dispose of Medication?

I have some medication, syringes and IV supplies left after my surgery and it's time to get rid of them. My husband is very environment cautious and says that I should not just throw them away in garbage, but to properly dispose of it. Do I take it to a local pharmacy? What did other people do with meds they didn't need?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

I took a bunch of my medications to the county sheriff's department-- they sometimes have special days to turn in medicines but probably will take them any time. The police don't want legal drugs out there where kids can get their hands on them (from Grandma's medicine cabinet, etc.). It's wrong to flush them down the toilet as it pollutes. I really don't know that the pharmacist can do anything with them. I would call your local police department and ask, but that is me. (smile)
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I have had patients bring in old needles and meds for us to dispose of. We put them in the bio-hazard where it is locked and cannot be removed. Please do not throw away, that is dangerous as is flushing. Most medical offices or EMT units will happily destroy it for you.
      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
        I took a bunch of my medications to the county sheriff's department-- they sometimes have special days to turn in medicines but probably will take them any time. The police don't want legal drugs out there where kids can get their hands on them (from Grandma's medicine cabinet, etc.). It's wrong to flush them down the toilet as it pollutes. I really don't know that the pharmacist can do anything with them. I would call your local police department and ask, but that is me. (smile)
        That is what I did last Spring here in CA . They had a special day in April to take old medicine that you did not want. I am sure that if you called your police department they could assist you.Please do not flush or just throw these drugs away

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I returned my Oxycontin to the pharmacy from where they came. They said they are sent to third world countries.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            I returned my Oxycontin to the pharmacy from where they came. They said they are sent to third world countries.
            That is very interesting...The difference between countries.. MY pharmacist said that there was nothing he could do with leftover medcicne
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

any pharmaceutical company that dispensed syringes should have
              sent you a sharps container for used needles...and should have a
              phone number to call for them to pick up the container when it is filled
              with your used sharps....there should be a phone number to call for
              a sharps pick up...

the other meds...either call the same pharmaceutical company....
              or call the town you live in and ask which days a year they allow
              for dangerous materials to be turned in to the town...
              or as someone else suggested, the police department could
              probably answer those questions...

as for actual medication....my pharmacist told me the same...that he cannot
              take back medication, legally.
              my doctor is more likely to take back unused meds to give to those who can
              not afford them...or to forward to an organization that gets the meds validated
              and sent to poor countries...

jess
              Last edited by jrnyc; 08-13-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X