Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's surgery moved up to this Thursday 8/15, ready as we can be.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son's surgery moved up to this Thursday 8/15, ready as we can be.....

Hi everyone,

Well we've been trying our best to have a normal summer and not think about this surgery, thus my absence from the board. At our last appointment, 7/29 my son had his second set of Xrays, 6 month span, and his curve had progressed from T55 to T66! I didn't even want ask what lumbar was, just to overwhelmed and I could see it sticking out. He has a lot of rotation. Good news is, I guess, there is no doubt he has to have the surgery. And his bending xray again bent out nice and straight so praying for a spontaneous correction in the lumbar expecting to be fused from T3-T12 with osteotomies 7 - 10.

We both are a bit nervous about the hospital environment, waiting pre op, not sure if he will have an IV before hand. Hoping he can just get the mask and then IV to take him under.

He is not a big eater and I am worried about appetite loss while on the meds. He will drink the ensure drinks at least.

We will have a 4 hr. drive home once released. Here is my check list so far. Please let me know if I have missed anything:

1. Bed rail to help get out of bed
    2. potty assist chair to help lower/rise
    3. shower stool
    4. Lip balm
    5. blanket for hospital
    6. straws, snacks for taking medicine
    7. pillows, egg crate for drive home
    8. front button shirt
    9. loose boxers
    10. bed tray (for his laptop
    Mom to son with new straight spine 8/15/2013 T16, L16
    Pre op T65, L?
    diagnosed 2/21/13 T55, L42

Who is doing the surgery? Let the anesthesiologist know that your son wants his special cocktail before going into the ER.
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Who is doing the surgery? Let the anesthesiologist know that your son wants his special cocktail before going into the OR.
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
        Who is doing the surgery? Let the anesthesiologist know that your son wants his special cocktail before going into the OR.
        Dr. Lebwohl, University of Miami Spine Institute, is the surgeon with Dr. Green as the Neuro surgeon. The surgery will be done at Jackson Memorial in Miami, don't have the time yet. And I will certainly suggest a cocktail for Shane and me if I thought it would help
        Pre op T65, L?

Comment

They knocked me out through the IV..... I didn’t even feel anything till I woke up days later.

Try not to worry too much, things will be ok...

I’m down in Colombia....but will send healing thoughts in a northerly direction. (smiley face)

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by tampamom View Post
            And his bending xray again bent out nice and straight so praying for a spontaneous correction in the lumbar expecting to be fused from T3-T12 with osteotomies 7 - 10.
            How far you have come... from a fusion to L4 to one not involving the lumbar at all! I am guessing those 4 osteotomies played into this plan because that is what Dr. Hey did to stay higher in the lumbar on a case of his.

So far, here is the list of surgeons who will stand on their head to keep a fusion shorter:

1. Dr. Hey
            2. Dr. Lebwohl.

I'll maintain the list for further reference.

Good luck. The run up is hard but you will be on the other side soon. You and your son can do this. :-)
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Surgery is done! One of the hardest days ever......

5 1/2 hour surgery and we haven't gone back yet. Dr. said he got a beautiful correction from T4-T12 with 5 ostometries. He said my son wasn't really that rotated after all, it was more restoring Kyphosis in his thoracic spine and the curve. We will have to watch to see what happens with the lumbar, he did not fuse it. He said Shane may stand crooked for a few months until the brain retrains, we will have to see what happens. He feels like it was definitely right thing to stop short given his age and how well it bent out.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience seeing a short fusion where the lumbar takes time? I've heard that about shoulders improving. Still waiting to see the final Xray too.

Just want to go see him, then I will feel even better
              Pre op T65, L?

Comment

Congratulations on making it to the other side!

My one kid also had a false double and it took months and months for her torso lean to come back close to vertical. Please do not worry about this before giving it enough time.

Others on this forum have had what I call a torso "shift" as opposed to a lean. Not sure what happens there.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  Congratulations on making it to the other side!

My one kid also had a false double and it took months and months for her torso lean to come back close to vertical. Please do not worry about this before giving it enough time.

Others on this forum have had what I call a torso "shift" as opposed to a lean. Not sure what happens there.
                  Thank you for the feedback Pooka that is encouraging.

Now we are dealing with trying to find the right pain meds that won't make him nauseated. He has thrown up 3 times. Pain is controlled but they are thinking hydromorphone is too strong for his little body (100lbs) and may go to orals. Which kinda makes me nervous think soon, but I guess we'd be there in a day anyway.
                  Pre op T65, L?

Comment

Can't they give him meds for the nausea. Poor guy.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                      Can't they give him meds for the nausea. Poor guy.

They are trying, he had three doeses of anti nausea meds in his IV last night but it didn't help. Then this morning they gave him a shot of something, it is a little better, but it makes him sleepy and just a little queasy. Will see if he keeps his jello and muffin down this morning.
                      Pre op T65, L?

Comment

Originally posted by tampamom View Post
                        They are trying, he had three doeses of anti nausea meds in his IV last night but it didn't help. Then this morning they gave him a shot of something, it is a little better, but it makes him sleepy and just a little queasy. Will see if he keeps his jello and muffin down this morning.
                        Maybe he is throwing up because us gut is not awake yet. This can lead to horrible pains if you eat or drink. Our surgeon was very strict about not allowing food or drink until the gut awakened. That happened on the third day for both my kids. He considers the pain/bloating associated with eating/drinking before the gut wakes up to be a set back so he doesn't allow it.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi,

so glad surgery is over and went well.....I completely agree with Pooka that they are feeding him WAY too soon! That is why he is nauseated. Give him a few days of either nothing by mouth or just a few sips here and there, to give his gut a chance to wake up. Right now he needs good pain control.

I am a nurse who has had 3 major back surgeries, one complicated by a very painful paralytic ileus. I am incredibly familiar with post-op nausea and it is absolutely miserable. Early food makes it much worse. Please give your son's belly a chance to wake up, then think about restarting solids. Sometimes nurses will try to push food during these early post-op days with extreme nausea, and it is a huge mistake. Your son will be fine for a few days without eating much.
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks for the input, he did eat already he just a little, like in the past 24 hrs he has had 1 1/2 jello cups, 1 1/2 roll 2 crackers and liquids. Very frustrating that I asked about his diet and they said he is not restricted to eat. I am afraid we are now at that point where his gut is not awake and he is bloated. PT said they will walk him today and that should help the bowels.

His pain has increased too now. Luckily the vomiting has stopped and the nausea pretty mush too. He hasn't had anit-nausea since yesterday morning.

He does have a low grade and it is now 100.3. The doctors says it is normal to have some inflammatory markers after this big surgery. At 100.4 they will give him tylenol. They nurses keep pushing the breathing treatments to bring down the fevor.

I really appreciate everyones comments. It hard not to worry about every little thing; I did that leading up to surgery and now the things post op.
                            Pre op T65, L?

Comment

Hi. Both my kids ran a fever like that and the breathing exercises did seem to bring it down.

Hang in there.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X