PDA

View Full Version : My son's surgery moved up to this Thursday 8/15, ready as we can be.....

tampamom
08-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone,

Well we've been trying our best to have a normal summer and not think about this surgery, thus my absence from the board. At our last appointment, 7/29 my son had his second set of Xrays, 6 month span, and his curve had progressed from T55 to T66! I didn't even want ask what lumbar was, just to overwhelmed and I could see it sticking out. He has a lot of rotation. Good news is, I guess, there is no doubt he has to have the surgery. And his bending xray again bent out nice and straight so praying for a spontaneous correction in the lumbar expecting to be fused from T3-T12 with osteotomies 7 - 10.

We both are a bit nervous about the hospital environment, waiting pre op, not sure if he will have an IV before hand. Hoping he can just get the mask and then IV to take him under.

He is not a big eater and I am worried about appetite loss while on the meds. He will drink the ensure drinks at least.

We will have a 4 hr. drive home once released. Here is my check list so far. Please let me know if I have missed anything:

1. Bed rail to help get out of bed
2. potty assist chair to help lower/rise
3. shower stool
4. Lip balm
5. blanket for hospital
6. straws, snacks for taking medicine
7. pillows, egg crate for drive home
8. front button shirt
9. loose boxers
10. bed tray (for his laptop :)

Doreen1
08-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Who is doing the surgery? Let the anesthesiologist know that your son wants his special cocktail before going into the ER.

Doreen1
08-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Who is doing the surgery? Let the anesthesiologist know that your son wants his special cocktail before going into the OR.

tampamom
08-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Who is doing the surgery? Let the anesthesiologist know that your son wants his special cocktail before going into the OR.

Dr. Lebwohl, University of Miami Spine Institute, is the surgeon with Dr. Green as the Neuro surgeon. The surgery will be done at Jackson Memorial in Miami, don't have the time yet. And I will certainly suggest a cocktail for Shane and me if I thought it would help ;)

titaniumed
08-12-2013, 07:00 PM
They knocked me out through the IV..... I didnít even feel anything till I woke up days later.

Try not to worry too much, things will be ok...

Iím down in Colombia....but will send healing thoughts in a northerly direction. (smiley face)

Ed

Pooka1
08-12-2013, 08:14 PM
And his bending xray again bent out nice and straight so praying for a spontaneous correction in the lumbar expecting to be fused from T3-T12 with osteotomies 7 - 10.

How far you have come... from a fusion to L4 to one not involving the lumbar at all! I am guessing those 4 osteotomies played into this plan because that is what Dr. Hey did to stay higher in the lumbar on a case of his.

So far, here is the list of surgeons who will stand on their head to keep a fusion shorter:

1. Dr. Hey
2. Dr. Lebwohl.

I'll maintain the list for further reference.

Good luck. The run up is hard but you will be on the other side soon. You and your son can do this. :-)

tampamom
08-15-2013, 04:42 PM
5 1/2 hour surgery and we haven't gone back yet. Dr. said he got a beautiful correction from T4-T12 with 5 ostometries. He said my son wasn't really that rotated after all, it was more restoring Kyphosis in his thoracic spine and the curve. We will have to watch to see what happens with the lumbar, he did not fuse it. He said Shane may stand crooked for a few months until the brain retrains, we will have to see what happens. He feels like it was definitely right thing to stop short given his age and how well it bent out.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience seeing a short fusion where the lumbar takes time? I've heard that about shoulders improving. Still waiting to see the final Xray too.

Just want to go see him, then I will feel even better :)

Pooka1
08-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Congratulations on making it to the other side!

My one kid also had a false double and it took months and months for her torso lean to come back close to vertical. Please do not worry about this before giving it enough time.

Others on this forum have had what I call a torso "shift" as opposed to a lean. Not sure what happens there.

tampamom
08-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Congratulations on making it to the other side!

My one kid also had a false double and it took months and months for her torso lean to come back close to vertical. Please do not worry about this before giving it enough time.

Others on this forum have had what I call a torso "shift" as opposed to a lean. Not sure what happens there.

Thank you for the feedback Pooka that is encouraging.

Now we are dealing with trying to find the right pain meds that won't make him nauseated. He has thrown up 3 times. Pain is controlled but they are thinking hydromorphone is too strong for his little body (100lbs) and may go to orals. Which kinda makes me nervous think soon, but I guess we'd be there in a day anyway.

Pooka1
08-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Can't they give him meds for the nausea. Poor guy.

tampamom
08-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Can't they give him meds for the nausea. Poor guy.

They are trying, he had three doeses of anti nausea meds in his IV last night but it didn't help. Then this morning they gave him a shot of something, it is a little better, but it makes him sleepy and just a little queasy. Will see if he keeps his jello and muffin down this morning.

Pooka1
08-16-2013, 10:05 AM
They are trying, he had three doeses of anti nausea meds in his IV last night but it didn't help. Then this morning they gave him a shot of something, it is a little better, but it makes him sleepy and just a little queasy. Will see if he keeps his jello and muffin down this morning.

Maybe he is throwing up because us gut is not awake yet. This can lead to horrible pains if you eat or drink. Our surgeon was very strict about not allowing food or drink until the gut awakened. That happened on the third day for both my kids. He considers the pain/bloating associated with eating/drinking before the gut wakes up to be a set back so he doesn't allow it.

leahdragonfly
08-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi,

so glad surgery is over and went well.....I completely agree with Pooka that they are feeding him WAY too soon! That is why he is nauseated. Give him a few days of either nothing by mouth or just a few sips here and there, to give his gut a chance to wake up. Right now he needs good pain control.

I am a nurse who has had 3 major back surgeries, one complicated by a very painful paralytic ileus. I am incredibly familiar with post-op nausea and it is absolutely miserable. Early food makes it much worse. Please give your son's belly a chance to wake up, then think about restarting solids. Sometimes nurses will try to push food during these early post-op days with extreme nausea, and it is a huge mistake. Your son will be fine for a few days without eating much.

tampamom
08-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the input, he did eat already he just a little, like in the past 24 hrs he has had 1 1/2 jello cups, 1 1/2 roll 2 crackers and liquids. Very frustrating that I asked about his diet and they said he is not restricted to eat. I am afraid we are now at that point where his gut is not awake and he is bloated. PT said they will walk him today and that should help the bowels.

His pain has increased too now. Luckily the vomiting has stopped and the nausea pretty mush too. He hasn't had anit-nausea since yesterday morning.

He does have a low grade and it is now 100.3. The doctors says it is normal to have some inflammatory markers after this big surgery. At 100.4 they will give him tylenol. They nurses keep pushing the breathing treatments to bring down the fevor.

I really appreciate everyones comments. It hard not to worry about every little thing; I did that leading up to surgery and now the things post op.

Pooka1
08-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi. Both my kids ran a fever like that and the breathing exercises did seem to bring it down.

Hang in there.

Pooka1
08-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Will see if he keeps his jello and muffin down this morning.

Just to add some perspective, my first kid was allowed nothing and not even ice chips. I could wet her lips. A year and a half later with the second kid, the surgeon had relaxed this to a few ice chips. She also had tiny sips of water off the little lip sponge. The first three days were hard because they were thirsty but after reading a few testimonials where people claim the bloating pain was worse than their surgery pain, I understand why the surgeon is so strict.

leahdragonfly
08-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi tampamom,

Hang in there and try to rest when you can, also. These first few days are difficult and exhausting for all. Tomorrow should be a little better than today, and once he is up walking and sitting in a chair he will start to improve more quickly. For today the breathing exercises along with very good pain control are the most important things. Make sure the nurses keep ahead of his pain, rather than reacting to worsening pain. It is best to give the meds on a regular, round the clock schedule rather than waiting for the pain to start getting bad.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water yourself and eat regularly. It is easy to forget to take care of yourself.

tampamom
08-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Figuring out pain meds is hard and just thought I share our ups and downs should future patients/family members want a scenario of what may happen. Everyone's body reacts differently though so this is just an fyi.

Yesterday was a great day, low pain on 10mg percocet every 4 hrs, eating and walking well. Then around dinner he started getting uncomfortable with bloat. Took suppository and that got things moving, felt better. at 3:30 am scheduled med time, his pain level was only a one, so we held off 30 more mins and cut doage in half. That caused pain to increase and for the rest of that morning he battled nausea, wouldn't eat, took 10mg next time and got very light headed, had to stay in bed all day. The nausea was making him miserable so they gave him a shot in the afternoon, with 5mg percocet and hes been sleeping 5 hours straight for the most part now. He did wake to eat (YAY!!!) and is now asleep again. Pain level was at a 4 when eating, he did get up to use the restrooms okayish, but wanted to go right back to bed.

I am guessing he should stay at the smaller dose 5mg next time and maybe do 7.5 in the night if his pain ends up rising from the 5mg dose. But right now asleep, the 5mg dose is fine.

Anyone have any experience with 100lbs teens and percocet dosage please chime in :)

tampamom
08-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Curious if anyone else had this problem occur, but today after standing up my sons right hip started to hurt when he walked. So now all day he is walking tip toed on his right foot, and keeping his right hip stiff. Like he doesn't want to swing his leg back in forth when he walks.

I've emailed the nurse. But was curious if anyone else had this problem. I've been so nervous watching his trunk alignment in bed and as he stands, walks. Given his compensatory lumbar curve, which now Xrayed at a 16. I am just worried things might move.

Thanks!