Sleeping Pills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Pills

Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep - it doesn't happen often, but when it does, I wonder if it's OK to take a sleeping pill. I have not taken any sleeping pills since the surgery. Gabapentin makes me sleepy and even though I don't really need it for nerve pain anymore, I take it sometimes as a sleeping aid. Do you know if it's OK to take OTC sleeping pills or not? Also, when is it safe to take Advil? I am five months out.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Originally posted by Irina View Post
    Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep - it doesn't happen often, but when it does, I wonder if it's OK to take a sleeping pill. I have not taken any sleeping pills since the surgery. Gabapentin makes me sleepy and even though I don't really need it for nerve pain anymore, I take it sometimes as a sleeping aid. Do you know if it's OK to take OTC sleeping pills or not? Also, when is it safe to take Advil? I am five months out.
    GABA is not one you want to use as a sleep aide. Have you tried taking an OTC like Melatonin, or Zquil? As far as Advil, check with your surgeon. I have learned the answers vary with each physician. I have been using melatonin since surgery and even tried a perscription sleeping pill six weeks out of surgery. Also, do you read or watch tv in bed? That is one thing I had to stop to help with sleep.

Good luck! It's hard having restless nights.
    Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I don't know about sleeping pills, but Dr. Lenke recommends 6 months for Advil.
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Thank you, Tamena and Evelyn.

Comment

Benedryl (diphenhydramine) is a good sleeping aid and also dries your sinuses if you have allergies. On the evenings that you cannot fall asleep, look at your caffeine intake after noon. That keeps me up guaranteed. Prescription sleeping pills are OK, but do not take more than 2 day or so in a row as they become less effective and can become addictive. Try OTC Benedryl and see how it works.

Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I agree with all the above. I have used Ambien, melatonin, and Benadryl at different times for sleep. Ambien is very hard to get off. I have used it for a few years because of PTSD and have had a hard time sleeping without it so I highly suggest not going that route unless absolutely necessary.
            Best wishes. I know how bad the back can feel without a good nights sleep.....
            *Jen
            Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
            Pre-T:50 L:48
            Post-T:20 L:0
            Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
            {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

Susan,

I talked to Jo-An and Sharon and they also recommended Benedryl. I even have it at home.

Comment

Have you tried melatonin, it's an all natural supplement.
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                  Have you tried melatonin, it's an all natural supplement.
                  No, I haven't, but will give it a try. Thank you.

Comment

Doreen, thanks for bringing that up. Melatonin is good for helping to fall asleep and for those folks that additionally cannot stay asleep, try Valerian additionally. I used to lecture at a health foods store w/ a naturopath and those were her recommendations.
                    Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                      Doreen, thanks for bringing that up. Melatonin is good for helping to fall asleep and for those folks that additionally cannot stay asleep, try Valerian additionally. I used to lecture at a health foods store w/ a naturopath and those were her recommendations.
                      Susan
                      I do like the combination of the 10 mg time released melatonin and calcium at bed time. I noticed that taking 3 mg off the bat that it would help to relax me but not stay asleep more than an hour. I get a few hours with the other combination. Calcium is really a natural relaxant too.

Tamena
                      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Working...
                      X