PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pills

Irina
08-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep - it doesn't happen often, but when it does, I wonder if it's OK to take a sleeping pill. I have not taken any sleeping pills since the surgery. Gabapentin makes me sleepy and even though I don't really need it for nerve pain anymore, I take it sometimes as a sleeping aid. Do you know if it's OK to take OTC sleeping pills or not? Also, when is it safe to take Advil? I am five months out.

tae_tap
08-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Sometimes I have trouble falling asleep - it doesn't happen often, but when it does, I wonder if it's OK to take a sleeping pill. I have not taken any sleeping pills since the surgery. Gabapentin makes me sleepy and even though I don't really need it for nerve pain anymore, I take it sometimes as a sleeping aid. Do you know if it's OK to take OTC sleeping pills or not? Also, when is it safe to take Advil? I am five months out.

GABA is not one you want to use as a sleep aide. Have you tried taking an OTC like Melatonin, or Zquil? As far as Advil, check with your surgeon. I have learned the answers vary with each physician. I have been using melatonin since surgery and even tried a perscription sleeping pill six weeks out of surgery. Also, do you read or watch tv in bed? That is one thing I had to stop to help with sleep.

Good luck! It's hard having restless nights.
Tamena

Confusedmom
08-04-2013, 11:46 PM
I don't know about sleeping pills, but Dr. Lenke recommends 6 months for Advil.

Irina
08-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Thank you, Tamena and Evelyn.

susancook
08-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Benedryl (diphenhydramine) is a good sleeping aid and also dries your sinuses if you have allergies. On the evenings that you cannot fall asleep, look at your caffeine intake after noon. That keeps me up guaranteed. Prescription sleeping pills are OK, but do not take more than 2 day or so in a row as they become less effective and can become addictive. Try OTC Benedryl and see how it works.

Susan

back2life
08-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I agree with all the above. I have used Ambien, melatonin, and Benadryl at different times for sleep. Ambien is very hard to get off. I have used it for a few years because of PTSD and have had a hard time sleeping without it so I highly suggest not going that route unless absolutely necessary.
Best wishes. I know how bad the back can feel without a good nights sleep.....

Irina
08-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Susan,

I talked to Jo-An and Sharon and they also recommended Benedryl. I even have it at home.

Doreen1
08-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Have you tried melatonin, it's an all natural supplement.

Irina
08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Have you tried melatonin, it's an all natural supplement.

No, I haven't, but will give it a try. Thank you.

susancook
08-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Doreen, thanks for bringing that up. Melatonin is good for helping to fall asleep and for those folks that additionally cannot stay asleep, try Valerian additionally. I used to lecture at a health foods store w/ a naturopath and those were her recommendations.
Susan

tae_tap
08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Doreen, thanks for bringing that up. Melatonin is good for helping to fall asleep and for those folks that additionally cannot stay asleep, try Valerian additionally. I used to lecture at a health foods store w/ a naturopath and those were her recommendations.
Susan

I do like the combination of the 10 mg time released melatonin and calcium at bed time. I noticed that taking 3 mg off the bat that it would help to relax me but not stay asleep more than an hour. I get a few hours with the other combination. Calcium is really a natural relaxant too.

Tamena