Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 months post update

Hi everyone,

I wanted to drop by and provide an update on what 5 months post op feels for an almost 39-year old who had two posterior surgeries to fuse t3 to sacrum:
    • I returned to work at 4.5 months full-time to a desk job, but my schedule is flexible in that I spend one day a week working from home. That usually means doing conference calls while lying down on the couch. The sitting is getting easier but I need to get up and move at least once an hour - when I don't, the pain kicks up noticeably.
    • I'm pretty uncomfortable and need Tylenol once or twice daily. I started acupuncture at 3.5 months and go twice a week. It helps with the pain but it really helps with my energy level. I'm pretty good during the day but I like to come home and head straight to the couch to rest my back. I get up to help with dinner and cleanup, then I'm back in bed usually by 9. I still need a ton of sleep, min. 9 hours a night.
    • Driving is weirdly comfortable for me, I don't need a back pillow or anything.
    • I try to walk 2 to 4 miles a day, which is much harder to do now that I'm back at work. I also go to the pool 3x a week. I start PT this week as well.
    • I've been cleared to start doing some bending - let me tell you, the first time I emptied the bottom rack in the dishwasher was a real letdown, I did not miss that chore. I still prefer to use a grabber or my foot.
    • I've recently started wearing flip flops but I use my cane when I do since I worry about tripping - otherwise I'm weaning off my cane use. I feel a little wobbly, super robotic and SO slow.

Overall I'm still happy I had the surgery done and I'm anxious to keep healing and continuing to feel better. One question tho for people with long fusions - my surgeon said its fine for me to lie on my stomach, but I actually don't know how to get on my stomach. Do you log-roll on to your stomach or flop down on the bed somehow?

Aileen

Hi Aileen,

I do some PT exercises on my stomach and my surgeon has cleared me to do that. I have a fantastic physical therapist. The first one who was coming to my house was clueless, but this one knows her stuff. It's good that you're walking, swimming and going to begin PT soon. I hope that PT will make you stronger - it definitely improved my stamina by a lot.

I am fused T6 to sacrum and here is how I get on my stomach: let's say you begin log-rolling from your right side. Once you are on laying on your right side, you keep your right arm under your side and left arm is resting on the bed. Begin pulling your right arm from under your side towards your back. At the same moment, turn your whole body on the stomach by pushing against left hand. Who-la! Done.
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Aileen, you exhaust me! I'm even tired reading about your activities. You must be some kind of a Wonder Woman. Could you be my trainer?

Wishing you a continued recovery. Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Aileen

Congrats on your reaching 5 months! Don’t worry, things will keep getting easier as time passes.

I don’t sleep on my stomach because of my neck. I can do a sort of side stomach position, but since I’m fused now and strong, its not about the back, its all about the neck position....And we have to cater to our necks as we age with full fusions. I didn’t have any success with my modified stomach sleeping attempts till I was at least one year post.

I started PT for my broken shoulder at 9 months. No PT for the spine other than walking really....No prescribed PT or intensive therapy sessions for the spine is what I need to say.......easy in the beginning, built up slowly over 2 years.

The arm bike where you pedal with your arms is GREAT! This therapy moves the paraspinal’s and muscles that lay over the rods and screws and toughens them up. Start slow, and pedal with your arms every second day. I did this for 6 months starting at 9 months post scoli surgeries. I used little resistance and went forward and backwards.

Log rolling is the way we start out and then what happens is either its modified, or totally ignored especially if not thinking about it. I guess the easiest way to move in bed is with the legs. If you throw a thigh and leg over quickly, the rest usually follows. To be honest, I don’t what I do now....LOL I guess that’s proof that eventually you heal and your mind is off and not thinking about your spine....this is part of your recovery. This will happen in time.

I walked my 1st mile at 9 months....try not to feel like you have to meet some sort of goal with distance walking, it’s the frequent movement that helps. Everytime I pushed on the exercise it resulted in setback. It’s a slow calculated process, knowing where and when to stop. It was during the 2nd year that I started pushing a little harder.

I was, and many experience being uncomfortable through the first year of recovery as middle age adults. It’s a see-saw like recovery with its ups and downs....improvement means less down days as time passes....I was just so happy to be done with the crippling pain before my surgeries, and accepting the healing of the traded surgical pain with patience.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I like the sound of the arm bike. I think that's exactly what I need. My legs get plenty of exercise, but my arms don't. I'm going to try to track down an arm bike. Thanks Ed!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Great to hear

Thanks for your update. It is wonderful to hear how well you are doing being I am just a short distance behind you. How awesome to be working! I am hoping to be able to volunteer back at our school this fall as it was my passion and quitting work was hard. (I was a school librarian) I have two kids aged 11 and 16 who will be doing those dishwasher and vacuuming duties for quite sometime if I have my way.
            Best wishes to you in your continued recovery.

*Jen
            Surgery May 7,2013
            *Jen
            Fusion surgery with Dr. Chang May 7, 2013
            Pre-T:50 L:48
            Post-T:20 L:0
            Degenerative disk disease through spine and neck with bulging disks as well. Spinal cord deformity in the area of C5-6.
            {On the road to a lifetime of forever with a back not holding me down!! Vacations, playtime with the kids, adult excursions! Life is moving forward not holding me back }

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              I like the sound of the arm bike. I think that's exactly what I need. My legs get plenty of exercise, but my arms don't. I'm going to try to track down an arm bike. Thanks Ed!
              Jen

If someone is going to attend some sort of physical therapy program ordered by a doctor, ok, ask about the arm bike.

If you are not, save your money and use soup cans.

I know, I’m getting tight in my old age. LOL

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Haha yes, I suppose that would be the sensible, practical way to do it. Good thinking Ed!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                  Hi Aileen,

I do some PT exercises on my stomach and my surgeon has cleared me to do that. I have a fantastic physical therapist. The first one who was coming to my house was clueless, but this one knows her stuff. It's good that you're walking, swimming and going to begin PT soon. I hope that PT will make you stronger - it definitely improved my stamina by a lot.

I am fused T6 to sacrum and here is how I get on my stomach: let's say you begin log-rolling from your right side. Once you are on laying on your right side, you keep your right arm under your side and left arm is resting on the bed. Begin pulling your right arm from under your side towards your back. At the same moment, turn your whole body on the stomach by pushing against left hand. Who-la! Done.
                  Hi Irina,

Thanks for the instructions, I finally got up the nerve to try it in bed this morning. I just put my arm under my head and log-rolled my way on to my stomach, lay there for a few moments and said ok, I'm done, and rolled back to my side. Seems like I need to get a bit of momentum going to roll but I assume it will get easier over time.

At PT today the therapist wanted me to use the foam roller for my butt and placed it on the floor. I stood there looking bewildered before I explained that I hadn't sat on the floor since my surgery. Funny how easy it is to forgot how to do things when you need to move deliberately.

aileen

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                    Aileen, you exhaust me! I'm even tired reading about your activities. You must be some kind of a Wonder Woman. Could you be my trainer?

Wishing you a continued recovery. Susan
                    Thanks - I didn't think I was doing that much, but perhaps that's why I'm so tired at the end of the day? Perhaps I'll take it a bit easier... Hope you get past your current situation and get back to healing exponentially.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                      Aileen

Congrats on your reaching 5 months! Don’t worry, things will keep getting easier as time passes.

I don’t sleep on my stomach because of my neck. I can do a sort of side stomach position, but since I’m fused now and strong, its not about the back, its all about the neck position....And we have to cater to our necks as we age with full fusions. I didn’t have any success with my modified stomach sleeping attempts till I was at least one year post.

I started PT for my broken shoulder at 9 months. No PT for the spine other than walking really....No prescribed PT or intensive therapy sessions for the spine is what I need to say.......easy in the beginning, built up slowly over 2 years.

The arm bike where you pedal with your arms is GREAT! This therapy moves the paraspinal’s and muscles that lay over the rods and screws and toughens them up. Start slow, and pedal with your arms every second day. I did this for 6 months starting at 9 months post scoli surgeries. I used little resistance and went forward and backwards.

Log rolling is the way we start out and then what happens is either its modified, or totally ignored especially if not thinking about it. I guess the easiest way to move in bed is with the legs. If you throw a thigh and leg over quickly, the rest usually follows. To be honest, I don’t what I do now....LOL I guess that’s proof that eventually you heal and your mind is off and not thinking about your spine....this is part of your recovery. This will happen in time.

I walked my 1st mile at 9 months....try not to feel like you have to meet some sort of goal with distance walking, it’s the frequent movement that helps. Everytime I pushed on the exercise it resulted in setback. It’s a slow calculated process, knowing where and when to stop. It was during the 2nd year that I started pushing a little harder.

I was, and many experience being uncomfortable through the first year of recovery as middle age adults. It’s a see-saw like recovery with its ups and downs....improvement means less down days as time passes....I was just so happy to be done with the crippling pain before my surgeries, and accepting the healing of the traded surgical pain with patience.

Ed
                      Thanks Ed. I used to be a stomach sleeper but I don't think I'll go back to it since I worry about protecting my remaining un-fused verterbrae. I just wanted to make sure I could get on my stomach at some point for either acupuncture or massage, or PT if need be.

I tie my walking with errands - I find walking for the sake of walking to be pretty boring, so I try to plan walks with purpose. The other night I walked a total of 2 miles in search of a piece of fruit pie for dinner - I was unsuccessful in finding some pie, but at least I got a walk in while trying. :-)

I didn't think I was in excruciating pain before surgery, but I am amazed at how much I put up with now that my pre-surgery pain is gone. I'm also amazed that my pre-surgery pain is gone, despite the addition of all sorts of metal pieces. I can handle the mostly discomfort/occasional higher levels of pain in the recovery period if it continues to get better from here.

Comment

Originally posted by back2life View Post
                        Thanks for your update. It is wonderful to hear how well you are doing being I am just a short distance behind you. How awesome to be working! I am hoping to be able to volunteer back at our school this fall as it was my passion and quitting work was hard. (I was a school librarian) I have two kids aged 11 and 16 who will be doing those dishwasher and vacuuming duties for quite sometime if I have my way.
                        Best wishes to you in your continued recovery.

*Jen
                        Surgery May 7,2013
                        You will have much to look forward to - continued success to you in your recovery as well!

Comment

Originally posted by aileens View Post
                          Hi Irina,

Thanks for the instructions, I finally got up the nerve to try it in bed this morning. I just put my arm under my head and log-rolled my way on to my stomach, lay there for a few moments and said ok, I'm done, and rolled back to my side. Seems like I need to get a bit of momentum going to roll but I assume it will get easier over time.

At PT today the therapist wanted me to use the foam roller for my butt and placed it on the floor. I stood there looking bewildered before I explained that I hadn't sat on the floor since my surgery. Funny how easy it is to forgot how to do things when you need to move deliberately.

aileen
                          Wohoo on rolling to the stomach! I have not done any exercises on the floor yet. I haven't asked my surgeon if I am allowed to do anything on the floor, may be it's OK, but I play it safe. My PT wanted me to lay on the floor and push my legs against the wall and I refused to do it. She modified it - I do it with a yoga belt lying on the bed. Did you check with your doctor about floor exercises?
                          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
                          X