Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you bend, lift, and twist after the spine fusion is complete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you bend, lift, and twist after the spine fusion is complete?

So, I have a T3-Sacrum surgery with pelvic anchors and I assume that spinal fusion is in progress since I had my surgery 3.5 months ago. Since I am an "older" person, I am patient [maybe not really patient ;+] ] and assume that my spinal fusion might take more than 6 months. I have a brace that I wear except 3 /30 minute relief periods, LOTS of reachers, dressing hook, toilet hygiene tongs w/ moistened wipes in all bathrooms and in my purse..... as well as a patient husband who does most tasks that I cannot do. I am careful not to bend, lift, and twist....mostly.

So what happens after my surgeon says that she considers me "fused"? Can I bed, lift, and twist? Or must I forever use my assistive devices?

Susan

EDIT: The above said that I wore my brace 24/7, hence Linda's comment below. What was I thinking? I guess I was feeling that I do wear it all of the time....my waking time, that is!
    Last edited by susancook; 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Hi Susan...

Starting between 3-6 months, you will almost certainly be able to start bending, lifting, or twisting.

Also, I'm actually in Vancouver with Dr Hu, and we're both baffled about you being in the brace 24/7. You should only be wearing the brace when you're up and moving around, and you should probably be weaning yourself from even doing that.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Hi Susan...

Starting between 3-6 months, you will almost certainly be able to start bending, lifting, or twisting.

Also, I'm actually in Vancouver with Dr Hu, and we're both baffled about you being in the brace 24/7. You should only be wearing the brace when you're up and moving around, and you should probably be weaning yourself from even doing that.

Linda
      What was I thinking? Not 24/7....I will change my posting. At my last visit [the 3 month], Dr. Hu said that I could be out of my brace "30 minutes, 3 times a day" and I said, "But you gave me 20 minutes, 3 times a day off at my six week visit, can't I have more" and she gave me THE LOOK... and that's what I do. No, I do not sleep in it, but otherwise, I'm pretty much in it!

I am hesitant to start additional movements as it appears that I have an "incisional hernia". Bummer! The ALIF got me after all! I have not done any lifting over the weight restrictions. Since nothing seems to be incarcerated, I am going to wait [sort of like putting my head in the sand] until my 6 month checkup.

Susan
      Last edited by susancook; 07-12-2013, 05:51 PM.
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I was living life normally at about 6 months, that is, if something required me to bend, lift or twist, I did so, to the extent of my ability. I bend from the hips and my knees, I can't twist very well, as in looking over my shoulder. I tend to turn my whole body to see behind me. But it's not a conscious thing, it just happens. I still won't lift anything heavy, because I'm trying to protect the unfused vertebra above my fusion. Although I do run occasionally without thinking (we have grandchildren!) I do try to avoid running, as per my surgeon's advice.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I don't have to use any assistive devices anymore. For me, that happened gradually over the first year. I still sometimes use grabbers if I have a LOT of stuff to pick up off the floor (example: cleaning the kids' toys up in the basement). Also I do use my dressing stick to get stuff out of the back of my large capacity front loader sometimes. I can get by without, though. But I do remember going out of town for a wedding at 8 months and having a hard time because I forgot my grabber. Hubby had to pick up shoes for me, etc. Healing takes a LOT of patience.
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
          X