Wheel Chair for the Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Chair for the Airport

This is not for me. My 71-year old uncle is flying from Moscow to San Francisco with layover in New York. He speaks no English at all and I am afraid he'd be lost in JFK. I already spoke with Traveler's Aid in JFK and they can help with the transfer. Another option is to request a wheel chair at his departure point and this way he'd be taken to the gate without any problems. Does anyone know if he'd be required to present a note from a doctor or he can just ask for a wheel chair and get it?
    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

nope...no documentation required...
    this stuff is easy to find on internet...

"The 1986 Air Carrier Access Act requires airlines to provide free wheelchair service to anyone who requests it. No description or documentation is required."

jess

Comment

Thank you, Jess.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Many people at 71 get tired at JFK so that may be realistic. JFK is a group of separate terminals, so it might be quite a challenge.
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

It helps if you request the wheelchair in advance with the airline. My son needed one after his knee surgery, and they got a little bent out of shape that we didn't ask for it ahead of time.
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
          X