Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Again!

Hi Again!

I haven't been active on this forum in FOREVER, but something triggered my memory recently, and I figured I would log back on to check it out.

So, I just wanted to see what non-surgical methods anyone has found effective/successful for managing scoliosis pain and achieving any correction (particularly those of you that aren't fused)??

Hi, Emmy
    I don't think we've met. I'm not fused. I tried chiropractic and made my curve worse and my pain worse. The things that I do for pain are 1. stay in shape 2. medication (unfortunately too much) 3. trigger point injections (works wonders for those awful pains between the shoulder blades) 4. Botox injections in the neck and upper traps 5. massage is helpful, too.

I'm 44 and am quite certain that nothing is going to improve my spine, although others differ in opinion. I'm just hoping to hold it and reduce pain. Sorry I don't have more to offer.

Welcome back!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Emmy:

Prior to my recent fusion, I tried:
      Chiropractic care: No snapping, quick movements, he just realigned my vertebrae gently, esp at my kyphosis: worked for about 4 days, the pain resumed
      Physical Therapy: Helped some with pain
      Rhizotomy/Denervation both thoracic and lumbar: GREAT pain relief x 3 months
      Corticosteroid inj: Worked well for about 4-6 months
      Acupuncture: some temporary pain relief
      Drugs: very temporary and not much relief
      Massage: GREAT for muscle relaxation, but temporary
      Ice and heat: Great temporary relief

All of the above worked for a while, but the warranty ran out and I kept going back for more treatments. Nothing changed my scoliosis measurements.
      My main problem is degenerative discs and stenosis at the vertebrae.

Best of luck! I encourage you to try everything that you can to relieve your pain before considering surgery. I am very happy with my surgical results so far, but it is not an undertaking that should be considered unless everything else has been tried.

Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
      X