Long term insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term insurance

I am in the process of investigating the purchase of long term insurance. Has anyone applied for this insurance and were you approved or denied because of scoliosis.

Thanks, Libby

what does that phrase mean...?
    long term what kind of insurance...?
    health...? life? disability?

jess

Comment

Long term care insurance

Originally posted by Wish2bstraight View Post
      I am in the process of investigating the purchase of long term insurance. Has anyone applied for this insurance and were you approved or denied because of scoliosis.

Thanks, Libby
      Hi!
      I applied and received long term care insurance about four years ago with no problems.
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I applied to Genworth and was turned down. I was then approved by Prudential through my husband's employer but they now don't carry long term care. This insurance is not cheap!!!!
        1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
        1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
        Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
        December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

The long term care insurance I have did not require a physical and did not have any lengthy health questionnaire that asked about specific conditions.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

what is long term care insurance...?

having Lyme, i could not get private disability policy...
            i could get long term nursing care...so i took that policy, but it
            is not great...and it requires illness for 6 months before it kicks in...

jess

Comment

Jess,
              Long term insurance is for nursing homes. The younger you are when you buy it, the cheaper it is. I got my Long term insurance before I was diagnosed with scoliosis. My husband was turned down because he had polio as a teenager. I am probably more likely to end up in a nursing home than he is. Go figure.
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

thanks, Sally...
                i do have that...from MetLife...but it is not a great policy...
                i took it because someone told me it might be all i could get,
                having Lyme diagnosis in my medical records...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by yacpatty View Post
                  I applied to Genworth and was turned down. I was then approved by Prudential through my husband's employer but they now don't carry long term care. This insurance is not cheap!!!!
                  Prudential does have a long term care policy that I can apply for through an organization my son belongs to, but I only have until the end of June to apply. It was also suggested to me to check into Genworth through AARP. LTC insurance is not cheap anywhere you go, and of course, you really do not know how much you are really going to need. Both of my parents had it and it helped a lot when they were in assisted living, especially the last few years of their lives.

Comment

hmmmm...now i am doubting that it is similar...
                    i got it when i was about 42 years old..
                    it is NOT expensive...but it only kicks in after 6 months and
                    it doesn't cover a lot of money per day...
                    i got it soon after i found out i had Lyme Disease...worried that was the
                    only policy that would approve me...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      hmmmm...now i am doubting that it is similar...
                      i got it when i was about 42 years old..
                      it is NOT expensive...but it only kicks in after 6 months and
                      it doesn't cover a lot of money per day...
                      i got it soon after i found out i had Lyme Disease...worried that was the
                      only policy that would approve me...

jess
                      Jess, perhaps you are referring to long term disability insurance. That is not expensive and kicks in after a certain amount of time of not working. Long term care is for when you need to go to a nursing home or have in-home care after perhaps a stroke or having dementia or Alzheimer's. That is pricey and is more so as you age. I got it at age 45 and it's about $88 a month. My husband's is about $112 a month. He is older and has diabetes, high bp and back issues.
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
                        Jess, perhaps you are referring to long term disability insurance. That is not expensive and kicks in after a certain amount of time of not working. Long term care is for when you need to go to a nursing home or have in-home care after perhaps a stroke or having dementia or Alzheimer's. That is pricey and is more so as you age. I got it at age 45 and it's about $88 a month. My husband's is about $112 a month. He is older and has diabetes, high bp and back issues.
                        I am surprised that your husband was a le to get LTC insurance with diabetes. He is lucky. I know people with diabetes that are unable to get life I durance, never mind LTC insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Wish2bstraight View Post
                          I am surprised that your husband was a le to get LTC insurance with diabetes. He is lucky. I know people with diabetes that are unable to get life I durance, never mind LTC insurance.
                          We were very lucky. Like someone else wrote, not a lot of health questions. It was through work that I got the insurance.
                          50 years old!!!!!
                          Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Working...
                          X