question on menses and growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on menses and growth

Last December, DD14 had her latest x ray (posted about it below) and she was at 41 degrees thoracis, 28 lumbar (compensatory) and in a Boston Brace and still progressing braced at 1 degree per month. In Jan 2013 she finally got her first menses. She's continued to grow since then (3 inches since May 2012 to May 2013). The ortho has always asked if she's gotten her first menses at our x ray appts. I know you can still grow but does this mean she will slow down? And will this mean her curve will (maybe?) stop progressing?

We have next x ray on June 10 so will be curious to see what's going on. Personally, I think her curve looks worse, but am really hoping it just can stop now.

I don't have any good info - I have a son and he wasn't braced. He did his curving late, but I think that's more common for boys.

I just wanted to say that I know how hard it is to watch your child's curve progressing. Best thoughts to you and yours.

Comment

Hi...

In theory, your daughter should be safe from significant progression one she starts menses. However, if she's not average, it doesn't mean anything. Since she's grown 3 inches in a year, it's probably a good idea to make another appointment with her doctor.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was always told you could continue to grow for 2 years after reaching menarche but that the last surge of growth was in the legs, not the torso. So theoretically she should be safe from major progression, but most doctors would advise staying in a brace until she's 2 years post menses.
        ~Leelee ♪
        [-] 17 years old
        _[-] 12th grade
        [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
        _[-] kyphosis, 67*
        [-] Boston brace for 4 years
        _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

Growth is not the only factor of progression. Some reputable scientists have questioned whether it is even the main one. Curves above a certain degree progress due to mechanical loading. End of growth does not signal the end of progression.
          07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
          11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
          05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
          12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
          05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Re: physical growth, the largest acceleration in height growth is just prior to starting menses. After menarche [periods] have started height growth acceleration decreases rapidly [as it was right before her periods started] but here is growth for 2-3 years or so after menarche ensues. Of course, as Linda mentioned, this is individual and there is a variation for some. Sorry, I do not know how this relates to spinal growth or progression.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
            X