Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help?

Hi,

I'm a first time surgery patient with correction of a double curve scoliosis that is progressing. Actual surgery date is July 15th at MGH in Boston MA.

I am a FT working mom who will have good support for most of July/Aug.

My job is primarily a desk job.

At what point have many people been ready to go back to work and how did you handle it? My career is important to me and being able to engage quickly is important.

Editing to add: Is anybody on here an active Dressage rider? If yes, how was your ability to ride your horse post surgery?

Thanks
    Last edited by Dora; 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM. Reason: adding activity question

Dora,
    Welcome to the group! You will find many on here that bring you added support from experience. What levels are they planning to fuse?

I too am a full time working mother, soon to be 35 with a double major curve. I am also 7 months post op but did not choose to do the long fusion that was first suggested, but opted for a short segment bone on bone fusion of T12-L2. I am quite a determined individual and love my job as a PA to a podiatrist and was anxious to get back to it following surgery. I went back at exactly 2 months post op and parts of me regretted going back so soon. I would encourage you to listen to your body and take at least 3 months off if not longer and slowly ease back into it. Even with a short fusion, sitting or standing for long periods of time were difficult.

Just take your time through the healing process and know ahead of time it does not happen over night. Having a strong support unit is good, because you are going to need them to keep the positive thoughts flowing.

Good luck!
    Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Well I just found the forum and to be honest I have no idea what they are going to do to me. Originally there was different set of doctors at another Boston hospital that sent me to MGH (Dr. Woods). I was relieved enough that someone was willing to help I haven't exactly gotten the dirty details.

I'm starting to realize this might be a mistake.

I'm also starting to realize as I'm reading through some threads that I am rather unprepared for the recovery (insert huge amounts of panic)

Also getting a bit bug eyed as far as how many people seem to still have residual nerve pain. My whole reason for doing this is I can't really walk anymore and I certainly can't ride my horse (lifelong passion). Our last trip to Disney World I had to rent a motor scooter to even think about tackling EPCOT and we put the trip on hold for this year because I didn't think I'd be able to even handle walking the small parks.

That was when I was finally ready to have the surgery... but hopefully it is still a sound decision.

Is there a few robust threads I should be reading?

Comment

Everyone reacts differently to the surgery. Many that had huge amounts of pain could see a huge difference afterwards. Nerve pain can take time to disappear because you are completely shocking your system. Surgery is not something to take lightly by no means and research about the procedure that the doctor plans to do is very important as well as research into your doctor.

By the sound of your pain and the inability to perform simple tasks such as walking it sounds like you are to that last limit and ready to take your life back from this disorder. As far as riding horses, your body will need a while to get used to all the shock it went through with the surgery. Roller coasters are out of the question for at least the first year after surgery in order for fusion to take.

This is something that only you can decide to do and I would not let someone else's experience scare you away or make you run faster towards the decision. No surgery is 100% guaranteed to work, but what helped me to make the decision is that I was tired of missing life due to pain.

If you have any specific questions that you want to ask, throw them out there. Nothing is too embarrassing and nine out of ten chances it has been asked and answered for many of us on here.
        Tamena
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Originally posted by Dora View Post
          Hi,

I'm a first time surgery patient with correction of a double curve scoliosis that is progressing. Actual surgery date is July 15th at MGH in Boston MA.

At what point have many people been ready to go back to work and how did you handle it? My career is important to me and being able to engage quickly is important.

Editing to add: Is anybody on here an active Dressage rider? If yes, how was your ability to ride your horse post surgery?

Thanks
          Hi Dora,

I had spinal fusion surgery (T2-L3) on Sept. 28, 2012, which makes me ALMOST 8 months post-op. My job is also a desk job, which requires a lot of sitting, typing, etc...Pretty sedentary.

At 8 weeks post-op, I went back to work part-time (4 hours a day for an entire month-This helped because it was the month of December...so I had more days off than normal because of the holiday).

From there, I slowly increased my hours, 5 hours one week, 6 the next, and so on....I started working my full time schedule 6 months post-op.

At 8 months post-op, I still have pain while working. Low back pain, shoulder pain and lots of neck pain (tension headaches are a result). Everyone is different, some may be fine once they go back to work, I just seem to have issues, but am hangin' in there!

For the first few months, it'll seem like "you'll never get any better" - I had that at the 4 month mark, post-op blues...I cried daily and seriously would have resigned from my job if I wasn't the insurance holder in the family...I still wish that I could work part-time, but unfortunately, that isn't an option in my position.

Just know, that it will get better...The first 6 months aren't fun, but it's amazing how week-by-week you notice one more thing you can do, that you couldn't the week before...I hope this helps!

Hannah

Comment

Hi,

Thanks
            Took me six months to get back to work part time. Went full time after six weeks. Sitting was very hard for more than 20 mins at a time. Still is hard beyond a reasonable amount of time. I got a stand sit table and I stand most of the day and take occassional sitting breaks.
            Only advice I can give is to be very patient and take life real slow post surgery.
            Congenital Scoliosis and Kyphosis
            Diagnosis at Age 42, Main Thoracolumbar curve 72 deg
            Surgery on Aug 15, 2012
            Fused T4 to L4, 2 SPOs

Comment

My whole reason for doing this is I can't really walk anymore and I certainly can't ride my horse (lifelong passion).
              Hi Dora,

I don't have scoliosis (my twins have it and are fused) but I want to tell you I completely understand your sentiment about dressage. I am obsessed with it also.

I have twice herniated a disc while riding and I will never stop. The second time was March of last year and because I refused to rest it enough, I still have a fair amount of pain many times a week associated with this, need to take OTC pain meds usually for it, and would rather live like that than take a hiatus from riding to allow it to heal. So I understand a little bit at least. :-)

I don't know anyone with a fusion who rides dressage but I know and know of people with scoliosis who ride dressage. They have to adopt all manner of compensations to stay perfectly balanced and it makes it even more challenging that it already is per what I have seen and can glean from what people write. Sally Swift developed Centered Riding in response to her scoliosis as far as I know.

In addition to your surgeon who maybe can't answer this, you really need to ask someone people who have had the fusion you have had to see what riding you can do. Just thinking about it, I would think it is a bit of an advantage in terms of posture to have a fused back if it is balanced perfectly over your hips. But you will need some play in your lumbar.

Is your horse's trot smooth? Some horses are moving sofas. Some you have to get them to move correctly to hope to sit the trot. I don't know what level you ride but you will minimally need to get the horse's back up and give you a place to sit AT ALL TIMES if you try riding again I would think. Do not ever try to sit an inverted trot or belly dance to sit the trot. I believe I hurt my disc the first time by belly dancing (sitting on my back pockets too much instead of having a vertical pelvis) to sit a huge trot on a large upper level school master.

I am not going to tell you to sell your horse if he isn't a moving sofa or if you find you can't or shouldn't ride after surgery. I will suggest you try driven dressage. There are competitions for this. I have never done it and I don't know how bouncy those carriages are but it is a potential way for you to continue working with your horse if you can't ride.

http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/dressage_test.asp

Here's a kur with one of the cutest haffies I have ever seen... oh who am I kidding, ALL haffies are cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcGeJbLn5Go

I feel for you. I so feel for you. I wish you every luck.

Sharon
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Dora and welcome to the forum. I am 11 weeks post-op and doing good for what I've been thru. I had anterior / posterior surgeries with XLIF. Then I had a postoperative abdominal hematoma that required another surgery. So, given that I've had 4 surgeries in less than a month (three spinal and one for hematoma), I am doing fine. My back doesn't bother me much and nerve leg pain is getting better, but I get tired quickly. I still lay down several times a day and it won't be an option at work. I am also a determined individual, but I am going to take my time to recover - work can wait. And if it can't, than I'll find another job when I am ready.

Everyone's recovery is different and you might be able to go back to work sooner, but talk to your doctor and ask him/her when you'd be able to work. There are a lot of scary stories on the forum... it freaked me out when I first started reading it. Then, as I gathered more information, I became calmer and actually looked forward to having this surgery behind me. Good luck with your surgery and ask all the questions you have. People here are wonderful and I received a lot of support from this forum.
                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Dora,

I had my two surgeries done by Dr Frank Rand at the New England Baptist hospital back in Feb 2013 - I am 14 weeks tmw. I plan on returning to work in July at around 4.5 months post to a desk job that's sedentary but stressful periodically - I do mergers and acquisitions type of work that require me to be mentally alert on tight deadlines. While I could physically go back to my job now, I still am fatigued (I lie down for 1-2 hours in the afternoon) and mentally I'm still somewhat scrambled, even though I've been off the narcotics for weeks now. My company has a generous STD plan so I am taking the time to heal properly and not rush things.

I was having major sciatica triggered by walking less than a half mile - when on vacation I would have to stop frequently to sit because of the burning pain and my leg going numb. Interestingly, the anesthesiologist told me right before my first surgery that they have very good success with improving leg pain, and less so with back pain (which I also had). I am so far very pleased with my outcome - I can walk over two miles at a time and have no more leg pain.

PM me if you have more questions - since we both live in the Boston area, I'd be happy to meet and share my experience. Aileen

Comment

Dora, Welcome! I am retired but am very busy with volunteer work with many non-profits as well as working in International Health as a Nurse Practitioner and Researcher. I am 2 months postop. Procedures below. I was sure that I could somehow just do lots of PT and small steroid/denervation procedures and avoid surgery. Unfortunately, I was a lot like you in pain and inability to walk. We went to Disney World and I sat on almost all of the benches. I laid down on one airport rug with an ice bag on my back n Fiji. My Right leg pain and lower back and kyphosis pain were ruining my life. I read ALL of the blogs on this forum back 5 years [yes, pretty crazy, huh?], read most of the orthopedics/spine books at the medical library and then decided that I really had to schedule surgery. I cried, paniced, almost cancelled the surgery 4 weeks before my surgery date....then a calm came over me 2 weeks before my surgery because I let go of all of the craziness, prayed [I'm not very religious], decided to trust my doctor and quite micro-managing the situation and I was fine. Really. Surgery is difficult and recovery is slower than I would like....I'm impatient. But, I couldn't spend the rest of my life looking for benches to sit on or laying on the floor at an airport with an ice bag. I do not have the severe R leg pain that I had before surgery but do have some minor aches and pains that will probably resolve with time. I do fatigue but only nap about 2-3 days a week.

My suggestion? Do your homework or your due diligence. Get at least a second opinion, more if you need to. Do not have surgery until you are very convinced that it is the right decision and that you cannot go on without surgical intervention. Choose a surgeon that you can TRUST and work as hard as hell, to just let go and trust. Can bad things happen? Absolutely! But most people are happy that they have had surgery.

Good luck on your quest.
                    Susan
                    Last edited by susancook; 05-25-2013, 01:34 AM.
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi and welcome

Hi Dora,
                      I too went back to work,part time at 7 weeks. It was way too soon. It slowed the recovery down. While I still can't say all of the details{IT is because of a workers comp case} I will be glad to say more if you send a private message. Do be careful about work and what you can and cannot do. I was sent home after being back to work for 18 months. It had to do with the DR restrictions. Do make sure to speak to your Hr department and your Doctor. It is had to find another job. Just private message me and I will give more info.
                      Jackie
                      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                      Right scapulectomy 6/15
                      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                      Broken neck 9/28/2018
                      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                      Osteotomy

Comment

Welcome Dora,
                        Susan gives very sound advice. A second opinion is a good idea and I would suggest Dr. Frank Rand at the New England Baptist Hospital. That is who did my surgery. It was love at first sight for me. We were living in Mansfield, MA at the time. He is very thorough and extremely compassionate and is an SRS spine surgeon. I think Dr. Wood is also an SRS surgeon.
                        As far as riding a horse after your surgery, I think it would all depend on how low the surgery goes, so you really need to find out that information
                        Good luck Dora, We have all felt that anxiety you are now feeling. Think positive thoughts.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Dora

I’m not currently riding horses but I’m sure you will be fine riding after your recovery. I could ride a horse no problem but wouldn’t want to fall.

Recovery takes a long time....I would expect to stay off for at least a year. I say this because we are not allowed to fall in our recoveries while we are healing and all the text books usually average 12 months for bone to fuse. My surgeons were very concerned that I had 2 steps leading up to my house, that’s another reason why I say this.

I resumed snow skiing at 14 months and did ok. I have crashed mildly, and that sure is scary but did ok. Falling off a horse on dirt would or could be a much harder blow than a mild ski crash on soft snow. Disturbing or re-breaking a level usually will require a revision surgery to repair....and some time because surgeons don’t like going back in usually in under a year.

We have seen many return to work before they should be doing this....its mostly about having trouble sitting, with pain and fatigue issues during the immediate recovery phase. The 1st 6 weeks are the hardest part....resuming work should be done on a part time basis, and if you can work from home like I did, do just that. Most intelligent employers will know what extreme spine surgery entails, if not, train them.

I made serious financial decisions on 100 mg of Percoset. LOL Looking back at this now, I laugh because all those decisions in those days were done correctly. Hard to believe, but true! (smiley face)

Did they tell you this was going to be done from the back only? Usually surgeons will take their fingers and show you where they will be cutting.....Will they cut from the side or front?

Age plays a huge factor in recovery. I don’t usually ask the ladies their age, but here I do, because it matters. How old are you?

Also, any idea of which levels they will fuse?

Welcome to the forum
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi, Dora,
                            Welcome to the forum. It's a tough decision to have major surgery. You might want to read the threads at the beginning of "Surgical (First Time)" titled "I am happy I had surgery" and "I regret having surgery." I think that many who have had successful surgery with no regrets get busy with life in general and no longer post on the forum. I, for one, am happy I had surgery and have returned to my pre-surgery activities of golfing, tap dancing, and riding my bike. You will get tons of support and answers to questions on this forum.
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Well I am going to have to find out more about what I am having certainly.

The surgery was bumped today from the 15th of July to the 25 of July because the general surgeon who opens for Dr. Wood is not going to be available. On the phone the woman rescheduling me said this was the only general surgeon he would use to "open the front" which is starting to sound to me like I did hear right (I thought I heard wrong) that somehow the front of me is involved.

Dr. Wood is my second opinion because a neurologist at tufts wasn't 100% certain they wanted to take the case on.

I have a job that I love running global programs at a pharma company. It 'stressful' but I do enjoy the pace. I am panicking about being away for 4 weeks before working from home. I now am a tad more terrified hearing how long it took people to recover. One of the biggest reasons for having the surgery is I can't handle walking the big conferences anymore. I'm actually staying back off my favorite one this year because it's in Chicago and that center is enormous. At the moment I do feel slightly caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I don't think I have a choice anymore but the recovery time feels like it could derail the efforts I've put into building my career.

On the horse front... my mare is a large young horse (17.2 hh). Pushing most of 3rd now in solid fashion but hasn't been introduced to the double yet. I bring along my own horses but I will have my coach on her until I'm able to get back up. Unfortunately I can't call her a couch. She ended up being much larger/broader than anticipated when I purchased her as a long yearling. I compensated in the saddle for a very long time but the collapse has now made it very hard to stay centered and out of her way. She's a dream as far as work ethic and she tries but when your body is saying one thing and your general commands are saying another... there are times she gets frustrated. For the most part she is a safe ride. Strong, but usually logical. She has young horse moments but thinks.

Oddly enough I have access to driving I guess if necessary. The facility I train with is active in combined driving and offers monthly clinics with a woman who represented the US twice in WEG for driving. She's worked with my horse a few times and says she'd be a good candidate, though she has a tendency to be strong in long lines and under saddle out in open spaces (by strong read - cheerfully using her large size to her advantage) so would need time to mature.

But I've been riding almost my whole life so 35+ years of saddle time translates to me not having the ability to fathom giving it up at the moment.

The surgeon was going to try to leave the bottom disk not fused to give some compression ability for the trot work. I'm not sure it will be enough.

A year... wow... he was saying 8 weeks if my body would tolerate it.

Did most people use neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons here?

Comment

Working...
                              X