PDA

View Full Version : she's braced and going to disney world... what do we do once we get there??

mzl
02-10-2005, 11:07 PM
It's been almost three months now, and my 11-year-old daughter's wearing her new low profile brace 23 hrs/day... she hates it like the plague, but has resigned herself to keeping it on... thankfully she has inner strength and the ability to communicate at a mature level...we're as supportive of her as we can possibly be!

we're going to disney world in 10 days... the dr. says not to take it off for more than an hour and not to go on water rides... had no concrete information on whether she could safely go on roller coasters, etc.?? (she didn't say NOT to go on them, though)

We're emphasizing how much she can do... keeping everything positive... and looking forward to the well-deserved vacation! But will she be able to be strapped into the safety-bars on Big Thunder Mountain?

Her brother wants to go to "Islands of Adventure" to ride tremendous coasters... are we setting her up for disappointment?

She has gone through tremendous milestones in physical development in these three months... thankfully she has been in the brace since 2-weeks after her diagnosis. We're not going to let the treatment slide backwards by going without the brace...a point which was made quite clearly by the doctor.

Has anyone out there taken their child to disney world (or the likes of such) in a brace??? Any suggestions??

(we already have a letter from the dr. for airport security)
(I' m also not excited about the prospect of heat management... we'll get a good taste of the summers to come, I guess)

Thank you in advance.

Littleone1016
02-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Mlz
I was in braces and had sugeries for my scoliosis from the ages of 9-16. I am 24 now. I just wanted to warn you that there is a possibility that Disney World will not want her to go on the rides at all because she is a liability in there eyes. They will claim that they cannot be responsible for someone who already obviously has spine problems get on rides that have warnings up around the ride about spine or heart problems. Not all places do this, and as I never took my braces to Disney World, I'm not sure about there policy however I did go to other amusment parks where I encountered that problem. Also, for safety's sake they might not be able to harness her in properly. If her brother can go on most rides and she can't she might be disappointed. And as you mentioned if it is hot she might get really uncomfortable being in line in the sun alot. You can probably call Disney World information and ask whether they think having a brace on will cause any problems in the park for your family. If they say that everything is fine then you ming want to think about renting a wheelchair for the day. If your daughter is ok with it you can rent them at guest services where the strollers are. I believe it is $20 deposit and $7 for renting it. You will get the $20 back when you return the wheelchair. I have done this before and it is a great help! First she will not have to worry as much about falling down, getting pushed or tripped up by the crowd (not all people are happy all the time at the happiest place on earth). Second she will not get as tired as easily and will be able to enjoy her day more comfortably than standing or walking the entire time. It also doesnt hurt that there are some rides that have handicap access so you usually get to go ahead of the crowd. The person in the chair can have up to 3 people with them and you all get on together which equals more ride time! I hope that I have been of some help.

mamakay
02-11-2005, 03:00 AM
mzl,

You say your Dr. said no waterrides. Well I know what my gut would tell me about the rollercoasters but I think you should definitly ask the Dr about ALL rides.

It is a constant reminder to my dtr she must stick to the restrictions untill the Dr says differently.

My dtr is 3 months also (but had thoratic curve so maybe recovery is somewhat different).
He just told her (much to my dismay.)that she can ride in a motor boat but no activities behind it. Also she can get in a hottub but not to take a bath yet.
These rules are hard to know and follow but having a profesisional tell you will give you more authority and peace of mind.
Have fun and be safe on your trip!! It's a fun place and you all will have a great time no matter what the restrictions are!!
P.S. I think the wheel chair suggestion was great advice..
kay

\

mzl
02-11-2005, 02:15 PM
hi... thanks for your replies sofar...

you're all wonderful, and I appreciate the wisdom and experience that you all have and are able to share.

I must clarify: my daughter has been
in a brace for almost 3 months... her curves are in the upper 30's...

I don't know that she will need a wheelchair... she's quite mobile... although come to think of it, she HAS fallen a couple of times, but giggles it off.

As for the bath...water rides... the only thing is not to get the brace wet, according to the dr.

I'm concerned about safety and comfort if she's strapped into a roller coaster, etc. ... the dr. suggested that if anything, it would support her back ...

has anyone out there had any experience with this?

lrmb
02-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Hi! I'm sure I've read some threads about this, but I can't remember exactly where/when. You could try using the "search" feature at the top right to search through the threads. Also, you could try posting on Spinekids to see if any of the kids there have done this. ~Laura

Kimber
02-11-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm a little confused as to your daughter's history. Is she newly diagnosed and in a brace or has she had surgery? My daughter is braced for curves in the high 30's (double curve) and she has never had any activity restrictions placed on her because of the scoliosis. She rides horses, goes on rides, etc. I originally thought your post was regarding the possibility of removing the brace for a few hours to give her a break and let her have some fun out of it. IF that is the case then I say let her have a little time out of it on vacation. Good luck on your decision and I hope you have a great trip!
Kim

mzl
02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi Kim,

She's in the upper thirties, double curve, and was advised NOT to take the brace off for more than one hour. But there are no restrictions otherwise, except that she should not get the brace wet.

My concern is the safety of sitting strapped into a roller coaster while wearing a brace... as well as the comfort (or the discomfort) of such. Of course, we all want her to have a great time, and to be safe and comfortable, without reversing the effects of the brace which she's only been wearing since November!!!

Linda... I will take your advice also and look at the archives and/or spinekids... thanks to all, and please, let me know if you have any advice.
:)

mamakay
02-12-2005, 01:47 AM
mzl,

I apologize if my response was useless or confusing..
I realized later after I submitted it that you meant she was in a brace and not post op as mine.
I understand now why the "no water" rides was told to you.
My dtr had shooting back and neck pain before her surgery
(but never wore a brace as her curve was too far advanced)
when she did extremly physical activities as wake boarding behind the boat or running track. The Dr said she could keep doing anything before the surgery so I let her do what she wanted since they said it may strengthen her back muscles too.
So it sounds like a few extra hours out of the brace couldn't hurt at all, and if your dtr just began her ordeal reward her for being such a brave person bc wearing a brace has to be tough especially being a teenager.. best of luck and I really hope she has a wonderful time..kay

mzl
02-12-2005, 09:38 AM
kay... I thank you for your support and advice. As difficult as it is for us as adults to supervise and make critical decisions for our children, I think it is many times more difficult for them to have to swallow hard and dealwith this scoliosis business. It's the unknown factor which is jarring... as well as the physiscal discomfort and even pain of being squeezed into a huge plastic corset for 23 hours a day, hoping that it will ward off the need for surgery... or even the bold step into surgery itself (which we're not guaranteed that my daughter will not have to go through).

this trip to disney should be a nice break for all of us... and also a test of how my dtr. will be able to "take things in stride" and still have a great time. I hope.

I hope that your dtr. is soon able to resume all of her activities and be comfortable and happy!
:)

nicoles mom
02-12-2005, 02:06 PM
I JUST TOOK MY DAUGHTER TO DISNEY AND SHE WENT ON ALL THE RIDES. BUT I TOOK THE BRACE OFF FOR THE DAY.IT WAS ONLY FOR 6 DAYS.THE RIDES DIDN'T HURT HER WITHOUT HER BRACE ON.BY SIX OR SEVEN HER BRACE WAS BACK ON TILL THE NEXT DAY.AND SHE ENJOYED HER VACATION.I DON'T THINK I WOULD HAVE LEFT HER BRACE ON GOING ON THE WILDER RIDES AT DISNEY THEY ARE JUST A FEW. AT MGM THEY ARE THREE RIDES THAT ARE A LITTLE WILD--- THE TOWER OR TERROR---- AREOSMITH ROLLER COASTER AND--- STAR WARS. AT M.K. SPLASH MOUNTAIN --- THE RUN AWAY TRAIN --- SPACE MOUNTAIN. AT AK DINOSAUR VERY BUMPY RIDE [HOLD ON] ---ONE WATER RIDE--- THE SAFARI RIDE IS ALSO BUMPY SIT UP FRONT.AT EPCOT--- TEST TRACK--- MISSON SPACE. THE REST SHE COULD WEAR HER BRACE FOR.
HAVE FUN:D

mzl
02-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Dear Nicole's Mom: I'm so glad you posted to this thread!

When you say you would not have put your child on the bumpy rides with the brace: why? Safety, or comfort, of both?

My daughter has been in the midst of a fast growing period since she started wearing the brace, and therefore, any time out of the brace could be detrimental to her treatment. That's why the dr. insisted that she wear it strictly 23 hours a day.

Please let me know: are test track, rock'n roller coaster, big thunder mountain, and that crazy one at animal kingdom too rough for the brace???

thanks.

nicoles mom
02-13-2005, 01:12 PM
SHE JUST FELT COMFORTABLE NOT WEARING IT.I WAS WORRIED ABOUT THE BUMPY RIDES.BUT SO FEW AT DISNEYWORLD.BUT SHE WAS FINE AND HAD A BLAST.IF YOUR DAUGHTER FEELS COMFORTABLE WEARING HER BRACE LET HER RIDE WITH IT ON I DON'T THINK IT WILL HURT HER.

mzl
02-13-2005, 09:17 PM
thanks for your honest opinion!!! :)

mzl
03-06-2005, 06:56 PM
So we did it! My daughter wore the brace over "underarmour" t-shirts, with regular cotton t's over it, and a flat "nike" drawstring backpack to camouflage the strap marks of the brace. She didn't overheat. The "soffee" shorts were fine with the brace, too!

Best of all: the plane rides were fine... we pre-boarded and set her up with lots of pillows.

She went on every ride imaginable ... Mission Space, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, etc., with the brace ON!!!

She took the brace off to swim, and she swam a lot, every day!

We had a great time, and were not disabled by the dreaded brace!!

Disney is doable! :) :) :) :cool: