Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

Hello everyone!

I thought I'd post to let you all know how things are going - long overdue, I know.

The long and short of it is, everything is totally fine! I'm about a year and 5 months down the line and my problems have been minimal to say the least. I had the odd sharp pain that lasted for a week or so but that turned out to just be my muscles getting used to the metalwork. Apparently pockets of fluid can form around the fusion and cause some discomfort but they dissolved eventually and have not been back since. Apart from that, there has been nothing else of note that has happened. I know this may not seem terribly useful for others looking to a future operation or even those who are having more major problems post-op but, as is expected in medical forums, I found it a little on the daunting side when I first arrived here to the plethora of negative problems and few stories of people who have been issue free! So I hope this is of use!

This post does have a more personal motive... I'm off at the end of July for some gigs in Montreal and afterwards my friend and I are flying to San Francisco and spending 5/6 weeks road tripping to New York. Any suggestions of places to go?

I hope you're all doing well and I'm sorry I haven't been around. This forum helped me no end throughout my scoliosis journey and I feel like I haven't given back yet to help others. This will change.

All the best and looking forward to hearing from you all (maybe even seeing some of you )

Billy
    Billy
    32 year old male from UK
    Fused at 25yrs
    62 degree thoratic curve
    45 degree lumbar curve
    Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Nice to hear from you! Glad everything is going well for you.

Best regards,
    Sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Bill, great to hear your very good news. I had often wondered over the last year, how you were doing. Often it's the case, when people are doing well, they get on with their lives and we don't hear from them again. So your good news is very much appreciated, especially for those facing surgery. Enjoy your trip to Canada and the US.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad to hear that you are doing well! There's a LOT to see between the west coast and the east coast. Do you want to go the northern route, middle route or southern route? I'll just list some the I appreciated or want to see. You can map out your journey however you wish.

If you want to travel up north to Washington State, take the Pacific Coast Hwy north along the Oregon coastline (some of the most beautiful countryside you will ever see!) to Astoria, Oregon and cross the bridge to Gold Coast, WA. The bridge is the awesome thing. There is Pacific Ocean on one side of you and the Columbia River on the other. I think the bridge is about 5 miles long!

Golden Gate Bridge (right there in SF)
        Travel the Pacific Coast Hwy.
        Redwood Forrest (north of SF)
        Yellowstone Park (a variety of different volcanic sights including 'Old Faithful'). It also has abundant wildlife and beautiful scenery!
        Devil's Tower (South Dakota)
        Mt. Rushmore (South Dakota)
        Mall of America (Minneapolis, MN)
        If you have time, you can take a cruise on the Mississippi River (varies from several hours to several weeks)
        Ride the car ferry across Lake Michigan (get on at Sheboygan, WI) - I've never done this one, but my dad did and had a nice time!
        Niagra Falls (New York)

Going SOUTH:
        San Diego Zoo and Sea World (San Diego, CA) and/or Disneyland (Orange, CA)
        Arizona:
        Grand Canyon
        Slide Rock (Sedona)
        Meteor Crater (outside of Winslow, I think)
        Lowell Observatory (Flagstaff)
        Petrified Forrest
        Numerous Indian ruins: Montezuma's Castle National Monument, Montezuma's Well, Tuzigoot National Monument.
        Four Corners Monument (Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico all come together in one spot) I got caught in a blizzard in the winter and didn't get to see it.=(

Las Vegas, Nevada (over rated if you ask me)

Utah:
        Virgin River Gorge (coming from Las Vegas into Utah)
        There are a few national parks that are a MUST SEE.
        Natural Bridges National Monument
        Bryce Canyon
        Arches National Park

Colorado:
        A trip through the Rockies is UNFORGETTABLE! (Go the route through Aspen, CO. and you will pass through a ridiculously long tunnel through the mountain - SO AWESOME if tunnels are your thing!)

I've travelled the middle and southern Midwest of the US, but admittedly am not familiar with the sights there. I don't know the sights on the Ease Coast, either, but I hear that Nantucket Island is really neat with cobble stone streets and stone buildings. It's on my "to do" list! Of course, Disney World is in Orlando, Florida.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. There's so much to see that you won't even be thinking of your back!
        Last edited by rohrer01; 05-21-2013, 06:35 PM.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

hey Bill...
          don't know if you'll travel down west coast...but it is a beautiful ride...
          so scenic on coastline...
          and southern CA has some gorgeous beaches...Newport, Huntington, Seal Beach,
          Redondo, Manhattan Beach....
          i liked Montreal, too...very clean and pretty city when i visited...my sister
          lives there.
          of course, leave lots of time for NYC...as a native New Yorker, i am
          not prejudiced...just know it is world's greatest city, of course! hah

wish you a safe and fun trip...
          jess
          Last edited by jrnyc; 05-21-2013, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Bill....good to hear from you again! Great news on the back.....

Glad to hear you are coming out in this direction, I’m 3 hours from San Fran up by Lake Tahoe. Very cool scenery out here! You should stop by.....I have extra bedrooms.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Tahoe

Of course there are a million other things to see and do and starting in San Francisco is a good start. The problem is always time....and maybe a few scoliosis related aches and pains.....Looks like you have that licked now. (smiley face)

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Glad to hear that you are doing so well

Enjoy your trip

Melissa
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Bill, when in SF, see 17-miles drive. The scenery is breathtaking. They charge a few bucks for driving there, but it worth it. After that, stop in Carmel - it's a really nice town with lots of art galleries and places to eat. I always enjoy seeing art there - they have amazing paintings and sculptures, but prices are astronomical. Lots of great restaurants in a different price range.
                I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Good to hear from you Bill and I am glad to hear you are doing so well. You have quite a list of places to see on your trip across this beautiful and large country. I finally got to see Sedona and the Grand Canyon last year. It was spectacular. Sedona is about the prettiest place I have ever seen. When on the East Coast you might like to see Boston - lots of history. Cape Cod is a lovely place in the summer - lots of artists there also including my sister-in-law. Have a wonderful time in your travels and let us know what places you managed to see while in the USA.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Bill,
                    Thanks so much for posting. I am happy to hear that you are doing so well. Enjoy your time in the U.S.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Bill...a word of warning..risking the wrath of SF'ers everywhere...
                      the phrase is
                      "the longest winter i ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"...

i forget the famous person who said it..
                      but...it can be very chilly there in July/August...
                      one of my 2 sisters, who lives in Oakland, told me they get summer in Sept/October...
                      i said "i want my summer in the summer"
                      since i have trouble walking, places with hills, like northern CA, are
                      hard for me...
                      pretty...but tough to walk those hills!
                      therefore, i have always loved the southern CA beaches for relaxing.,...
                      but CA is a beautiful state...all of it!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                        Bill...a word of warning..risking the wrath of SF'ers everywhere...
                        the phrase is
                        "the longest winter i ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"...

i forget the famous person who said it..
                        but...it can be very chilly there in July/August...
                        one of my 2 sisters, who lives in Oakland, told me they get summer in Sept/October...
                        i said "i want my summer in the summer"
                        since i have trouble walking, places with hills, like northern CA, are
                        hard for me...
                        pretty...but tough to walk those hills!
                        therefore, i have always loved the southern CA beaches for relaxing.,...
                        but CA is a beautiful state...all of it!

jess
                        That was Mark Twain who said it (or so we believe) and yes, CA is beautiful :-)
                        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

thanks for the quote info...

i grew up listening to the Beach Boys...so i was under the mistaken
                          impression that all of CA was hot and sunny...it was a shock i was
                          not prepared for when i went to SF and Oakland for first time...
                          i was cold...and i didn't bring sweaters, etc, since i thought it would be
                          hot all over..
                          just want Bill to be better prepared for weather...

we stayed over one nite by the Redwoods...pretty., but brrrrr....
                          two sweaters needed at nite...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Irina is right! Mark Twain moved to San Francisco after he started writing because he was a terrible miner in Virginia City. San Francisco can be a chilly place....rods can freeze, that sort of thing. (smiley face) Bill can handle it, he’s from the UK.....

Mark Twain once was drinking whiskey up at Lake Tahoe and set the woods on fire at Glenwood, Nevada and was fined $500 back around 1860. That was a ton of money in those days. He had such a hard time and people back then didn’t realize that he was to become an American icon.

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Bill--So glad to see your post and know that you are doing well. Best wishes for it to continue.

Ed--I liked your Mark Twain anecdote. I've been reading his giant autobiography off and on for a year. I have always loved him and his humor. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X