PDA

View Full Version : Sally's continuing saga

loves to skate
04-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Hi all,
I guess I should update all of you about my visit with Dr. Hey. From my CAT scan he told me and showed me the degeneration going on at level L1L2 and said that when the quality of my life gets unbearable, that he would operate and do either an xlif or a plif, can't remember which one he said and replace my existing rods and extend my fusion to that level. He said the recovery from that surgery would be much easier than my original surgery. However, the problem at hand right now is a painful right hip and he isn't sure if my pain is coming from my hip or from my back at the L1L2 level. With that as the question, he has ordered an MRI of my lumbar just to find out just how much my nerve roots at that level are pinched because he can't tell from the CAT scan. My local orthopedic Doctor said that my hip shows moderate arthritic degeneration, but since I can't take anti-inflamatories for the pain, he would not have a problem doing a total hip replacement surgery at this time because it is inevitable that the hip would just get worse. I am scheduled for the MRI on Friday, so I will know more after that.
Here's to no pain for everybody.:)
Sally

mabeckoff
04-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Sally,

I am sorry that this is happening to you. Please let us know what is happening. You have a top notch surgeon working with you. Dr Hey is wonderful. Say hi to him for me.

Prayers

Melissa

Susie*Bee
05-01-2013, 07:41 PM
So sorry to hear this news, Sally. I am praying for you. Keep us updated, friend. It's been a long road, and it's not going where you wanted it to go right now. Hang in there-- it sounds like you are doing what you need to and are under good care. Hugs.

debbei
05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Oh Sally I am also sorry to hear that you are having pain. I hope they can figure it out for you. ((Hugs))

jrnyc
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM
i'm so sorry to read this, Sally...
but i do hope you can get some answers, and that
you will be guided as to what is best to do next medically...
hope you feel better...

jess...and Sparky

rohrer01
05-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Sally,
I'm also sorry to hear this. But you have been in pain with your hip for some time if I remember correctly. With moderate arthritis in the hip, I would guess that the pain is coming directly from your hip unless it is radiating from somewhere else like your buttock through the hip. In that case I would guess the spine. The thing with osteoarthritis, I have been told, is that the degree of degeneration doesn't always determine the degree of pain. Sound familiar? Degree of curve doesn't correlate with degree of pain? The human body is a complex thing.

I'm surprised that Dr. Hey couldn't see the nerve roots with a CT scan. Did you have a myelogram done first? That's where they inject dye into your spinal canal prior to the CT. They can really see a lot when they do that. I hope your MRI gives a better clue to what's going on.

Take Care.

loves to skate
05-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your concern. Getting old is not for sissies. No one on this forum is a sissy. I hope I can get my hip done in the summertime when it is too hot to do anything outside.

I did not have a myelogram with the CAT scan. I go tomorrow for the MRI. At least, MRI's are not painful except to the ears.:)

Sally

JenniferG
05-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Good luck Sally. Keep us up to date, won't you.

That saying was on a birthday card I bought for my ex father in law who then, was turning about 88 (now 90) and had his share of aches and pains. He got a real laugh out of it.

susancook
05-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Girlfriend! Bummer....getting older was my downfall too! I hope that you find some answers to your pain. While I am excited with my results so far, I dread the degeneration of the cervical discs that were seen on the MRI. But, I am going to take this one step at a time. I wish that we lived closer and we could have a cup of coffee. Take care, sending good thoughts your way. Susan

titaniumed
05-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Oh Sally....

I’m sorry this is happening....

The MRI’s are not too bad.....it helps to be slightly deaf like me....(smiley face)

Like Susan says, “One step at a time”. I always thought of this as a recovery aid, but now have to remember to think of this every single day now.

Thoughts as a revision patient are different.....we know and have knowledge but we have to be stronger or at least I feel that way now....Walking a true test of patience, waiting once again to be pain free. Bravery does not seem to be the main factor....we have that licked...

The MRI should answer more questions....your in good hands.

Ed

loves to skate
05-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Well, I just got my MRI report from Dr. Hey and no surprise to me there was too much artifact from the existing metal in my back to see anything at the L1L2 level. Anyway, Dr. Hey had a radiologist review my CT scan and although there is central stenosis from the bulging disc at L1L2, it is not bad enough to be causing the hip pain. Conservative treatment for the spine for now which is good news. Now I have to contact my Orthopedic Doctor in town to find out when he can schedule me for the total hip replacement.

Thank you all once again for your concern. Ed, I hope you can get your pain under control without more fusion. Susan, the next time I am in Seattle, we will definitely have that cup of coffee. What a great bunch of people on this forum. I wish we could all get together for a cup of coffee or something stronger.:)

susancook
05-12-2013, 04:29 PM
I would love to meet you and have coffee or something stronger! Keep me posted for your trip to the Northwest.
I hope that you are able to sort everything out.
Hugs, Susan

mabeckoff
05-12-2013, 10:58 PM
I wish that we all could get together. It would be great to meet and see one another in person

Doodles
05-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Sally--
Oh, I hope they can fix your pain in a relatively "easy" way. You've done so well for so long! And, yes, Melissa, that would be a great get-together. Janet

loves to skate
05-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone,
I finally got in contact with the Orthopedic office and am now scheduled for a total hip on July 8th. I am glad I could schedule in the Summer because most activities in our little harbour cease in the Summer because it is too hot to do very much and a lot of people head North to cooler climates. I will stay in my nice air conditioned house except when they make me start walking daily.
Love to you all, Sally

mabeckoff
05-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi everyone,
I finally got in contact with the Orthopedic office and am now scheduled for a total hip on July 8th. I am glad I could schedule in the Summer because most activities in our little harbour cease in the Summer because it is too hot to do very much and a lot of people head North to cooler climates. I will stay in my nice air conditioned house except when they make me start walking daily.
Love to you all, Sally

Hope all goes well. I will be interested in how your hip surgery goes. I am needing to have mine done soon

God bless
Melissa

Susie*Bee
05-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Dearest Sally, good friend. So sorry to hear, but I know there was no other solution. I'm sure it's good to have the date set so you can plan. I'll be praying for you, of course. You are such a dear to me. I love that old picture of you skating after your surgery. Ahhh, we have such hopes, don't we? But I wanted to let you know that your signature brought tears to me eyes just now. It is wonderful. It was just what my parched soul needed. May he bless you richly indeed. We are lemonade makers, aren't we? And lemonade is a good trade off at times. You are a strong woman and a good friend. Hugs.

rohrer01
05-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone,
Love to you all, Sally

Sally,
I'm sad to hear that you have to have another surgery. BUT, I'm glad that you were able to schedule it during the time of year that you wanted to.

I've had a couple of friends that have had total hip replacements. I will tell you, just so you have an idea how things can go. The first friend had her surgery before I met her. She LOVED it! She said it totally eliminated her pain. When her other hip went (she was in excruciating pain), she begged the doctor for a hip replacement because she was so happy with the first one. Unfortunately, her heart was too weak to undergo another surgery and he had to tell her no. She was so upset because she felt that should be her choice. In the end, the doctor was right because she only lived a year or two longer (without the second hip replacement). I miss her tons. But she was, I believe 89 years old when she passed.

The second friend I know that had a hip replacement is a larger but frail woman. She didn't complain about pain from the surgery and her surgery went well, too. However, she didn't follow the doctor's instructions on her new mobility. There are certain ways that you can NOT move, depending on the brand of prosthetic arthrosis. She bent over in a way she wasn't supposed to and the hip dislocated, leaving her on the floor for a whole day until someone found her. So just be aware what limitations your new hip has, if any, and follow your doctor's instructions.

Do you have a support network around you to give assistance after your surgery? I wish you all the very best. Of course we all know you will keep us updated, right? I really hope this is the solution to your problem. You will know for sure after you are healed. Hopefully the pain will go away for good! But if not, you will be certain that it's coming from your back. Have a speedy recovery and just maybe you can get back on those skates!

Hugs

JenniferG
05-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Best wishes Sally. You have us all barracking for you. If it helps, I've never heard of a single bad outcome from hip replacement surgery, and I'm sure yours will be no different. I look forward to hearing about your much improved life in the not too distant future.

jrnyc
05-25-2013, 05:44 PM
hi Sally
so sorry to read that you need more surgery...
i hope the hip replacement goes smoothly and the recovery
is easier than the scoli surgery recovery...
it would be so great to read that you are up and functioning
well again, without pain...

i was surprised to read about the lower spine problems...
i thought you were fused at the spot you are saying has a ruptured
disc..i did not think it could happen, once fusion has occurred...
i hope it can be resolved without needing more surgery on your spine...

best wishes...
jess...and Sparky

Doodles
05-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Sally,
I was sorry to hear about another surgery. I'm sure you feel you've had enough!! I know you will get through this too with your strong resilience--and many good thoughts and prayers from family, friends and forum folks. Best wishes. Janet

Confusedmom
05-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Best wishes, Sally. Just think, soon you can tell everyone you're the bionic woman! Haha. Not making fun. We are all bionic women on this forum. And I am just thankful this medical science is available to us. I will be sending prayers your way and hoping for an end to your pain.

Evelyn

babyboomer16
05-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi Sally,
I am catching up on what's going on with everyone, and I see you too are going to have surgery again. A hip replacement? I have heard that's one of the easier replacements as far as recovery. Lets hope that's true.(smiles). Well, we have to give each other lots of "strength and support" on this site. I too will be looking at no. 3 revision surgery, no.1 was what caused adult onset scoliosis. And I have had several other major surgeries on body parts. We have to face all of this with lots of faith. I couldn't make it without faith.
Friday is my day of surgery.(31st.). I need my feet worked on as I have bunions that make my walking very painful and takes away what balance I have. My one big toe is laid over the top of my second toe. But with all the back problems and surgeries the feet are on hold for now. I am sending you all my thoughts and prayers that you get through this and back to skating in record time! Warmly, Linda

golfnut
05-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Best of luck, Sally, with your hip replacement. That will a piece of cake compared to back surgery, however, I am sorry you have to go through surgery of any kind. Someone on this post mentioned that it would be nice to get together in person. I just read replies from Evelyn, Melissa, Jennifer, Janet, Susan,Jess, Debbe, Linda, Rohrer, and Ed and thought how lucky I am to have these wonderful friends and yet I've only met Evelyn and Linda. It's amazing how close we all feel after corresponding for months and even years but most have not met in person. This forum has to be one of the best in so many ways.

susancook
05-26-2013, 02:29 AM
Sally: Hip surgery for you? A piece of cake for such a strong woman! My only advice is to follow the postop instructions to the letter and be careful about infections [everyone in contact w/ you for at least the first week washes hands].

You are one of my role models. I am praying and sending good messages your way.

HUGS, Susan

Are there any preop exercises that you can do to help your hip recovery go better?

Wish2bstraight
05-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Linda,

I have had bunion surgery on both feet, at different times, along with hammertoe on one foot. This also takes time to heal. I would say that I did not walk correctly for a couple of months, but it does work.

Sally, good luck with your hip surgery. While I was in rehab, I had two roommates, both had hip replacements. They were able to walk better and for a further distance than I was. It seemed that getting in and out of bed and into a comfortable position was their most difficult task. Good luck to you. Looking forward to hearing that all went well.

Libby

loves to skate
05-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Thank you all for your concern, hugs, thoughts, prayers and friendship. You are all the best of the best.
Jess, the disc above my fusion is deteriorating, L1L2. I am fused from L2 to S1. Status quo for now.
Susan, I am having my hip surgery before it gets desperate, so right now, my legs are pretty strong. I have had people say to me, "Don't wait too long"
I will keep you posted for sure.
Love, Sally

loves to skate
07-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Tomorrow, July 3rd is my pretesting and my surgery is Monday July 8th as long as I pass my pretesting. I am looking forward to when this surgery is over with and let the anxiety be gone and the healing begin. As much as I know that this surgery is a piece of cake compared to back surgery, I still feel anxiety over it and haven't been sleeping well, but it will be soon over. Prayers for peace will be appreciated. God Bless each and every one of you and may you all be free of pain.
Love you guys!
Sally

rohrer01
07-02-2013, 02:52 PM
I hope all goes well and you can proceed.

mabeckoff
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Sally,

I hope that all goes well and that you can have your surgery

Melissa

Doodles
07-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Sally--
Of course you're anxious. Even if we survived the big one, we're still going to be nervous! I wish you peaceful sleep, relaxation, and prayers for a very successful surgery. Take care. Janet

golfnut
07-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Sally,
My husband and I are going to Lexington for a wedding and I didn't want to miss wishing you the best with your hip surgery on Monday. You will be in my prayers for a successful surgery and smooth recovery. Everyone I know who has had hip replacement has been thrilled with the relief from pain. My mom at age 80 went from extreme pain and walking with a walker before surgery to playing golf again after her recovery. I am sure you will do well and be happy when the surgery is behind you.

debbei
07-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Good luck Sally, you will be in my prayers. I know all will go well!

Susie*Bee
07-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Dear Sally-- I was going to say "we've got your back-- or rather, your hip"-- but you know what I mean. Any surgery is bound to cause anxiety ahead of time, so that is natural. It will be good to get it over with and, as we always say-- "let the healing begin!" You are such a strong fighter. I was just looking at the picture I have of you a day or two ago. (big smile) You've been through a lot and this will be difficult, but not something you can't deal with. Keep your eyes on the goal. Golfnut's post was sure encouraging-- to hear about her mother. I'll sure be praying for you -- now, for peace-- and for a successful surgery and good recovery. Hugs, Susie

mabeckoff
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Prayers for you having a successful surgery and a good recovery

God bless
Melissa

JenniferG
07-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I have every confidence your surgery will be a great success and you'll be so glad you did it - again! Thinking of you Sally.

jackieg412
07-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Sally,
Wishing you a great outcome for your hip surgery! Everyone that I know that has had a hip replaced is so pleased. I hope you will be too!
Jackie

Confusedmom
07-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Sending good thoughts & prayes your way, Sally!

Best,
Evelyn

jrnyc
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Sally...thinking about you for Monday and hoping all goes well..
and it is the last surgery you need...
you have been thru enough...
i know some people who had hip surgery and did great...

thoughts and prayers will be with you...
for a smooth procedure and uneventful recovery...

jess...and Sparky

loves to skate
07-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks to all for you prayers and well wishes. We are leaving for the hospital in a couple of minutes. Love to all.
Sally

JenniferG
07-09-2013, 03:05 AM
I hope your surgery's over and you're having a comfortable recovery. Thinking of you Sally.

debbei
07-09-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm thinking of you Sally....hope all went well!

Susie*Bee
07-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Yes, I wondered if anyone was going to post for her. I've been thinking about her as well. Hoping and praying all went well.

mabeckoff
07-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Sally,

I hope all went well today and that you are resting comfortably.

God bless

Melissa

jrnyc
07-10-2013, 10:53 AM
thinking of you as well, Sally...
hoping it was uneventful and your recovery is the same...

hugs and a woof..
jess..and Sparky

jackieg412
07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Hope you are improving by the minute.Jackie

mabeckoff
07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Has anyone heard from Sally or about Sally? It has been several days now

Melissa

rohrer01
07-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Melissa,
I just came over here to check on how Sally's surgery went. I was surprised to see you are the last one to post here. I hope she's okay and just taking a break from the forum.

Susie*Bee
07-15-2013, 10:18 AM
It was a week ago. She just may not be feeling up to it yet. Or it's possible that wherever she is may not have internet capabilities.

mabeckoff
07-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I hope that she is ok. When I met with my hip surgeon Friday, he said it was a 90 minute surgery and that you only spend 2 nights in the hospital and then you go home. I was hoping to get her feedback

She is in my prayers

Melissa

Susie*Bee
07-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Melissa-- it's possible that it's a little more complicated when you are Sally's age... but I really don't know. We will just have to keep her in our prayers and try to be patient. I have her email address in my older computer, but it's not working right now. (sad face) Maybe someone else has it. I was sure I had moved it over, but apparently not. Ahhh-- maybe I can see on facebook.

Just sent her a FB message... but I'll be gone shopping for several hours (country bumpkin that shops every two weeks for groceries and all). If she sees it, she will know that everyone on here is concerned. Again, she may not feel like doing computer things even though she loves us.

mabeckoff
07-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Melissa-- it's possible that it's a little more complicated when you are Sally's age... but I really don't know. We will just have to keep her in our prayers and try to be patient. I have her email address in my older computer, but it's not working right now. (sad face) Maybe someone else has it. I was sure I had moved it over, but apparently not. Ahhh-- maybe I can see on facebook.

Just sent her a FB message... but I'll be gone shopping for several hours (country bumpkin that shops every two weeks for groceries and all). If she sees it, she will know that everyone on here is concerned. Again, she may not feel like doing computer things even though she loves us.

Susie,

I hope that you are correct. I just praying for her

Melissa

jackieg412
07-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Any news yet? I hope all is well with Sally!

mabeckoff
07-19-2013, 12:51 AM
I am very worried about Sally. I wish we heard from her

Melissa

Susie*Bee
07-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Me too. Hopefully soon.

loves to skate
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Sorry guys. I tried using the computer a few days ago, but found it extremely difficult because I couldn't sit up. The meds mess with my brain also. I did post on Face book though, so Suzie must have missed that.
Thanks for all of your prayers and concern. I spent three days in the hospital and have been sleeping, eating and taking pain meds ever since and the anti-nausea meds and stool softeners and miralax. You all know the drill. I graduated today from my walker to a cane and in a week or so hope to be able to get in the car and go to the Dr's office to sit and wait. Haha!
More later when I can sit longer.
Sally

debbei
07-19-2013, 01:53 PM
It's so great to hear from you Sally! I'm glad you're coming along as expected. Take care of yourself!

Susie*Bee
07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Yes, it's great to hear from you Sally! Now I'm going to go hunt on facebook, because I've been watching. Sheesh! I'm so sorry, everyone!

Sally-- I just looked on FB and I couldn't find anything after your post on July 6th... Maybe it didn't post correctly or maybe I'm just missing it. It doesn't matter. We are just so happy to hear from you! (BIG SMILE!)

mabeckoff
07-19-2013, 02:40 PM
I am so happy to hear from you. Take care of yourself and when you feel up to it post again

Melissa

susancook
07-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Sally, You obviously have a big cheering support squad! So glad to hear that you are on the mend. Keep the skates in the closet for a while!
Hugs, Susan

golfnut
07-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Sally,
We are all happy to hear from you. Take it easy and you'll be feeling better soon. Hang in there.

JenniferG
07-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi Sally. It's good to hear from you and know all is progressing well. Hope it's not long before you can sit comfortably.

titaniumed
07-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Sally

Glad to see your recovery is moving along ok....

We are interested in hearing about this surgery and its recovery.....but take your time and take care of yourself.

BTW, “The” hip pioneer’s name is Dr Jeffery Mast....he was the first in the US, and started these surgeries a few decades ago. I have a friend who worked with him here in Reno......

A little history from the 1970’s.....

http://www.maitrise-orthop.com/corpusmaitri/interview/mo74_mast/matta_mast_us.shtml

Ed

loves to skate
07-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks to all for your caring thoughts and concern. I think I am finally far enough in recovery that I can sit for more than five minutes at a time. It has been two weeks and one day now and I just D/C'd my pain meds. I know they are necessary for pain in the beginning, but they make me so nauseous and bind me up so much which also makes me nauseous. They also make me itch to the point that I feel like I could go mad, so there are many reasons to get rid of that stuff. I am still pretty weak and need naps every day, but am starting to feel a whole lot better. I will be seeing my Surgeon on Thursday and He will be removing my dressing and hopefully I will have a nice clean scar on my butt. Haha! There are no staples or stitches to be removed, just steri-strips holding me together. After two and a half weeks they should be completely healed.
Take care everyone, Sally
PS: Susie B - when I posted on facebook, I posted on my original thread, so I can see how you missed it.

susancook
07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks to all for your caring thoughts and concern. I think I am finally far enough in recovery that I can sit for more than five minutes at a time. It has been two weeks and one day now and I just D/C'd my pain meds. I know they are necessary for pain in the beginning, but they make me so nauseous and bind me up so much which also makes me nauseous. They also make me itch to the point that I feel like I could go mad, so there are many reasons to get rid of that stuff. I am still pretty weak and need naps every day, but am starting to feel a whole lot better. I will be seeing my Surgeon on Thursday and He will be removing my dressing and hopefully I will have a nice clean scar on my butt. Haha! There are no staples or stitches to be removed, just steri-strips holding me together. After two and a half weeks they should be completely healed.
Take care everyone, Sally
PS: Susie B - when I posted on facebook, I posted on my original thread, so I can see how you missed it.

Great to hear that you are doing well. I knew that you would conquer this challenge like the others that you have faced. I recommend that you not take whatever medicine gives you pruritis or itching. While that may not technically be an allergy it is an "untoward response". I had the same response with codeine and oxycodone, but also had a fine red rash, so I have listed them as allergies. Someone gave me oxycodone after ankle surgery, and I spent the whole night in the hospital squirming scratching my back on the sheets as I itched so much. It was torture.

Do you use ice bags? That saved me pain meds.

Take care of yourself. Hate to say it, but we "older chickens" need a little longer to heal.

Hugs to you, Susan

loves to skate
07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Susan, Yes, I do use ice bags and am taking tylenol as much as allowed. I am sore in the morning and still a little nauseous in the morning, but feel pretty good in the afternoons.
Sally

mabeckoff
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
How far is the hospital from home? How did you travel home?

Melissa

Doodles
07-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Sally--
Wonderful to hear that you are in recovery mode! We were worried. Take your time healing and best wishes for an uneventful recovery. Janet

loves to skate
07-25-2013, 03:41 PM
How far is the hospital from home? How did you travel home?

Melissa
Melissa, The hospital is about 13 miles from where we live and I just rode home in the car. We went in to see the Doctor today and he is very pleased with my progress. The bandage came off today and I asked why it had to stay on so long and he was surprised that it was still on. I told him that the visiting nurse called his office and someone told her not to take it off, that it would come off when I saw the Doctor. He wasn't too happy about that and apologized to me. At least there are no stitch marks or staple marks which makes me happy. I will start outside the home PT next week and that is located directly across the street from the hospital.
Melissa, I will try to call you today and if you don't hear from me, you can call me any time up until 10:00PM or 7:00Pm your time.
Take care everyone and thanks for thinking of me.
Sally

curvycakes
07-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Glad to hear you're doing well, Sally! Enjoy those naps & rest easy. Sending you a gentle hug!

mabeckoff
07-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks for speaking with me today. Glad that you are doing better

loves to skate
10-13-2013, 01:26 PM
They say the best is yet to come! Who are they anyway?
I thought I should add the latest to my saga. Somewhere, somehow (I think the hospital) I picked up Clostridium Difficile. I have never been so sick in my entire life. I think I managed to get medical care in time to prevent permanant damage to my intestinal track. My Doctor put me on Vancomycin and I started to get better right away. Vanco in pretty specific for C. Diff so that is why my Doc is pretty sure of his diagnosis, but the stool culture came back negative for C. Diff. Anyway after two weeks on Vanco, I was feeling much better, but not perfect. Last week, I had a relapse, so now I am on two weeks course of Metronidazol. It's named C. Diff because it is difficult to get rid of. The ultimate cure - a poop transplant. Sounds like fun, huh? At least, there is hope out there for a cure.

When you are in the hospital for anything, make sure your nurse washes her or his hands in soap and water because, guess what folks, C. Diff is not killed with alcohol based hand washes. Only thorough hand washing and bleach will kill C. Diff.

Thanks for listening and I hope everyone is doing well. Between the site being down and being sick, I haven't been on here too much. Love to all, Sally

titaniumed
10-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Sally

I know someone who went through this, fecal transplant.....and she is fine now.

I hear the Vancomycin is pricy stuff.....

Get better soon!

Ed

debbei
10-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Oh Sally your poor thing! I hope the meds do the trick!

Irina
10-13-2013, 06:41 PM
This is so scary. I hope you get better soon, Sally.

golfnut
10-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Sally,
I am so sorry that you have had such a rough time. I hope better days are in your near future.

JenniferG
10-14-2013, 04:49 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this news Sally. We really should be able to rely on nurses to take this basic precaution. I'll be looking out for good news from you soon.

susancook
10-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Sally, hand washing is the key in hospitals now and it always has been. So sorry for the mess that you are in. I am amazed that more of us do not have problems.

Wishing you a fast recovery. Make sure that everyone in your environment washes hands too. So sorry that this happened to you. Got to get those good bacteria into your system to fight off the bad ones!

Take care and heal!

Love, Susan

loves to skate
10-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately Susan, it seems that the alcohol based hand wash is in every hospital room and it is so much easier to use that than to actually wash hands.
Ed, yes, Vanco is pricy. I had to pay $125.00 for it. I don't know the actual price, but I would hate to have to pay for it out of pocket. I am so looking forward to that fecal transplant, not!
Thanks to Debbei, Irina, golfnut, Jennifer, Susan and Ed for your kind words. It's funny to have an infection like this and not feel sick once I start on the antibiotic.

jrnyc
10-14-2013, 06:21 PM
hi Sally
you have been thru so much...
i hope you get better fast...and can stay out of hospitals
in the near future....you can go in basically healthy and come
out really sick! i once went in for foot surgery and came out
with a wicked virus of some kind...raging fever and all...
my surgeon told me hospitals are the easiest places to become
sick...germs flying all over!

am wishing you a calm and uneventful 2014...with no hospital stays
needed...

jess...and Sparky

PeggyS
10-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Sally,
I sincerely hope you're on the way to recovery! I'd never heard of c. Diff. until a friend strongly suggested being on probiotics for quite awhile prior to my hospital stay. Supposedly that helps the digestive system fend off the bad bacteria.

Keep us updated & take care.

Peg

Doodles
10-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Sally--
I'm so sorry to hear about this latest difficulty. Please stay strong! Thinking of you and praying for a complete and fast recovery. Janet

I thought our forum was lost and gone forever! What happened? Just decided to try again and here it was. Maybe more info on here. This was first one I opened.

loves to skate
04-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Sorry guys, for being away so long. I conquered the C Diff awhile back. Then my left knee started to really bother me. I tried to strengthen my quadriceps, but the knee pain continued. To make a long story short, I had arthroscopic knee surgery on my left knee last week and like a miracle, I am able to walk without a crutch or cane with no limp. I had a torn meniscus and have no idea how it happened. Such is life. These are minor things compared to Jess and rorher1. I hope everyone else is doing well.
Sally
PS: The right hip is perfect and now I can finally get my legs strong.

JenniferG
04-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Hi Sally,

Lovely to hear from you and great to know you're in a good place right now. Had wondered about your hip.

debbei
04-02-2014, 06:13 AM
I'm glad you're doing better Sally!

golfnut
04-02-2014, 08:01 AM
It sounds like you are doing better. Thanks for letting us know.

mabeckoff
04-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Glad that you are doing better

Melissa

susancook
04-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Seems that for some of us, the journey doesn't seem to end easily! I hope that you are now well on the road to recovery! I wish you the best. You have always had an awesome attitude that I for one have always appreciated and found as a motivator.

Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Susan and her abdominal truss

jrnyc
04-03-2014, 11:27 AM
hey Sally
great to hear that you are recovering so well...i hope the knee
is bionic once you are 100% well....
but please...be careful...

hugs from jess and Sparky

loves to skate
04-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. At the ripe old age of 74, I think I am doing very well. Life can be a real challenge and attitude is very important to survival.
Love to all, Sally

susancook
04-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Just wanted to say, hi and hope that you are doing well. You have been an inspiration to me and I thank you for all that you have shared on the forum. Aging "gracefully" is a challenge for some of us. But, we are survivors, right? My hernia surgery was surprised that after surgery that I got out of bed and walked and used very little pain meds. I almost laughed when he said that because after scoliosis surgery, hernia repair was easy! You know what I mean.

Hope that you are blooming this spring and are ready for a fun summer!

Susan

mabeckoff
04-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Hope that things are looking good for you

Melissa