Urinary incontinence after catheter removed in 66 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urinary incontinence after catheter removed in 66 year old

I am 3 weeks postoperative. I had a urinary catheter for about 4 days since I had an anterior/posterior repair and the catheter was put in after the first surgery, then taken out and put back in after the second surgery. After the catheter was taken out, I had urinary incontinence with every time that I needed to urinate. I urinated about every 1.5 hours. Needless to say, I was a mess and wet the bed and my clothes all the time. As soon as I stood up, I tried to do a Kegal to not avail, and the urine just freely flowed. Part of the problem was that I was over hydrated with fluids and they gave me diuretics.

Now at 3 weeks postoperative, I soak a sanitary napkin every day, so I am improving. A little bit of urine leaks out when I stand up inspite of Kegals. I think that the catheters stretched out my urinary sphincter.

Part of the problem can be attributed to being menopausal times 15 years. I hope that I get to the point that I do not need to wear sanitary pads and do not have any leakage.

Did anyone else, especially the older ladies that had a catheter, have a problem with incontinence?

Thanks for your responses, Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Susan,
    I am on a muscle relaxant called Baclofen. I told my gynecologist after I had been on the drug for awhile that I was having trouble urinating (she's not the one who prescribed it). She smiled and said that they use this drug frequently in women's health FOR urinary incontinence. So, if the problem persists or you are embarrassed by it, you could ask your doctor to prescribe it for you. I certainly hope this problem resolves on its own eventually, but if not there is help. How are you feeling otherwise?
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Susan-- I am menopausal several years (sheesh, I've lost track)... and had a catheter, so I'm answering your question. I just looked back in the notebook my husband kept for me in the hospital and my catheter was taken out on the 3rd day. I didn't have any incontinence (not that I can remember, anyway) after that. I do remember wishing they would have left it in longer! I was in a lot of pain and it was so difficult to get out of bed to go...! (What a wimp - smile). I also had an ileus and was hooked up to IVs for 5 days, so that also made getting around a little more difficult. Plus no food or drink all that time. I hope this issue will be resolved soon for you. Praying for you.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hopefully just time will fix the problem Susan. Sorry that you're having this problem.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

incontinence

Hi, I had the same thing happen to me, it was from anterior surgery,the bladder Dr. put me on TOFRANIL, she said when they hold everything to the side to get to your back for a long time sometimes the bladder gets weak. The pills helped within 2 days, good luck. Lu

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            Susan,
            I am on a muscle relaxant called Baclofen. I told my gynecologist after I had been on the drug for awhile that I was having trouble urinating (she's not the one who prescribed it). She smiled and said that they use this drug frequently in women's health FOR urinary incontinence. So, if the problem persists or you are embarrassed by it, you could ask your doctor to prescribe it for you. I certainly hope this problem resolves on its own eventually, but if not there is help. How are you feeling otherwise?
            Interesting.....I am on 1/2 Baclofen every 6 hours for muscle spasms, probably the same reason that you were on it. I will ask my surgeon if I could increase it to one every 6 hours to see if that helps. I imagine that it would be worse if I were not on and Baclofen.

Thanks for writing.

How am I doing? I am quite well, actually. I take 2 naps a day and have never regretted having the surgery. It has given me my life back. I had a 3 month break in pain when I had lots of procedures done, like 2 rhizotomies/denervations both thoracic and lumbar and then corticosteroid injections for stenosis and then again for Meralgia Paresthetica. I went off to do medical work in Fiji for 2 months without any pain. The procedures held me until i finished a project in Papua New Guinea on mosquito eradication. Then, the pain returned and it became obvious that surgery was needed. On an earlier blog, I described laying on the floor in the Fiji airport for an hour and a half with an ice bag on my back in severe pain. It became quite obvious to me that I had a pain sabbatical and I thanked God for that, and I needed a second opinion and then schedule the surgery. Every time that I see Dr. Hu from the preop visit to her visits in the hospital, I have told her that I am so happy to be where I am. She says that she has never had a patient as happy as I am, but I truly was at the end of my rope on options and I had researched surgery obsessively and feel great that I found the right surgeon. I worried about complications from surgery and so far, I have none, except the incontinence. Dr. Hu said that she thought that she might not be able to help my r sciatic pain that radiated to the front of my thigh. Well, so far, that is better! This is probably much more than you wanted to hear, but thanks for giving me the opportunity to make my feelings explicit. So, yes, I am doing well!

Thanks for asking, Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by Lue View Post
              Hi, I had the same thing happen to me, it was from anterior surgery,the bladder Dr. put me on TOFRANIL, she said when they hold everything to the side to get to your back for a long time sometimes the bladder gets weak. The pills helped within 2 days, good luck. Lu
              Thanks Lu! I will send a note to Dr. Hu about Tofranil and Baclofen and see what she says. Great to see that there might be some options for me! I am about 20 years or so post menopausal and thought that I was done with sanitary pads. Now, wearing them for incontinence is a bummer.
              Susan

Comment

Susan, I take 20mg of baclofen every 8 hours. I didn't start out at that dose and with every increase it made me sleepy when I took it. The sleepiness lasted for about two weeks with each increase. I'm used to it now and I don't get sleepy from it any more. It is also a drug that you can't quit cold turkey. But, yes, it definitely makes it hard for me to "go" sometimes. =)
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

#6 It was great to read your post Susan. Lovely to hear someone go from such an awful place to becoming pain free. I hope the incontinence is simply a matter of time, in other words healing the damage of the catheter. Let us know if you think it's improving.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    #6 It was great to read your post Susan. Lovely to hear someone go from such an awful place to becoming pain free. I hope the incontinence is simply a matter of time, in other words healing the damage of the catheter. Let us know if you think it's improving.
                    Yes, I concur! It's great to hear you so happy about your surgery, especially since you were so apprehensive for so long. Surgery on your entire spine is a fearful thing for all of us. Hopefully you are all done for life!
                    Be happy!
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Susan, about TOFRONAL, It is a old drug, safe for long term and they give it to chrildren for bed wetting. (and I am 70, and stop wetting to bed about 1 year old.)

Comment

Yes, I concur! It's great to hear you so happy about your surgery, especially since you were so apprehensive for so long. Surgery on your entire spine is a fearful thing for all of us. Hopefully you are all done for life!
                        One reason that I was apprehensive about surgery was that it is so final, it cannot be reversed. Then, the pain set in and surgery appeared to be my best option. I also only knew about my scoliosis for about 2 years (about age 64) now as it is adult degenerative scoliosis resulting from degenerating discs and stenosis. Procedures that I had greatly decreased my pain but were temporary.

I hope that I am done for life and fear cervical degeneration as Ed posted. Many of my cervical discs have moderate degeneration.....bummer. My neck hurts some and crackles and pops all of the time. I will ask my doctor her opinion of conservative treatments that would give pain relief. Mostly, I use ice packs which give a lot of relief.

Susan

Comment

Thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions. You guys are awesome and this is an awesome use of this blog. I feared life long sanitary pads or Depends. Now I have some hope.

Susan

Comment

Susan, I take 20mg of baclofen every 8 hours. I didn't start out at that dose and with every increase it made me sleepy when I took it. The sleepiness lasted for about two weeks with each increase. I'm used to it now and I don't get sleepy from it any more. It is also a drug that you can't quit cold turkey. But, yes, it definitely makes it hard for me to "go" sometimes. =)
                            I take 5 MGM twice a day, clearly a starting dose. Susan

Comment

susan i had the problem only once afte the cather was out. i really needed to go but the time my nurse got ther it was to later i wet my hospital bed
                              Kara
                              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                              T4-L2
                              Before 50T
                              After 20T

Comment

Working...
                              X