Idiopathic scoliosis & alcohol during pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiopathic scoliosis & alcohol during pregnancy

I have heard the theory years ago, that one of the suspected causes of Idiopathic Scoliosis is excessive drinking during pregnancy.
    We all know that a mother to be can damage her fetus in many ways if she drinks excessively during her pregnancy.
    I have heard that this is one suspected (but not proven) cause of scoliosis. My mother is an alcoholic, so this theory tends to make sense to me.

I am just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this theory? Does anyone know where I can find more information about it?

Thanks!
    Jenni

Jenni...

I've heard that one of the consequences of fetal alcohol syndrome can be scoliosis. But I believe this would be classified as congenital scoliosis, however, because it's caused by some bony abnormality.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis though - perhaps it is difficult to tell the difference sometimes?

In any case, I will try looking up more info on fetal alcohol syndrome, thank you.

Comment

Jenni Lee...

Since scoliosis appears in about 10% of the general population, it would also presumably appear in 10% of the children of mother's who drink alcohol. There is probably no relationship.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X