And down I went...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And down I went...

I must have jinxed myself, reading about so many falling and hurting themselves, on this forum as well as the Australian forum, that it's been on my mind and I've been taking greater care. Yet today, in a department store, I felt my right foot skid in water. It shot to the left and I hit the floor on the outside of my right knee, thigh and shoulder. It was my back I was thinking of as I went down, as if in slow motion. Mostly it was my pride that was injured and apart from a slightly bruised feeling, especially in my shoulder, with a slight bit of stiffness, I think I'm ok!

First fall in 4 years and I was taking care. Rats!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Oh no! How did you get up, you are fused to sacrum, correct? I about face planted in the yard yesterday when my dog grabbed a long stick and ran by me. As I was taking a step, the stick went between my steps so that when I took another step, the stick caught my step mid-stride. As I was falling my dog kept running with the stick so the stick moved out of my way and I was able to catch my footing with the next step. Scared the crap outta me. How does your back feel today?
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Welcome to the klutz club. If I even go 4 months without a fall, I'm a happy camper.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Jennifer--
        Darn! I sure hope you feel OK again tomorrow too. Might feel rather stiff though. I think it's amazing you have had no falls--guess you got that out of the way now. I think mine was at about 3 years--trying to put on jeans standing up and was suddenly on the floor of my closet. OK but it's a terrible OH, NO! I can't fall feeling! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

So sorry, Jennifer. Hope you're not too sore and nothing is a true injury. Take it easy and keep us informed... Hugs, Susie
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Jennifer,
            I'm so sorry to hear that you fell! I know how scary falling is even though I'm not fused. I fall more than the average person. My doctor said it's because my back is stiff and I can't compensate fast enough to prevent the fall. It's scary to fall when you aren't fused. I can only imagine how scary it must be to fall when you are fused. I hope you feel better from your bruising. Does your back hurt at all? I'm guessing that it would probably take more force to damage a properly fused spine than an unfused one.

Take Care
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Morning ladies. It's 7.30am here and I had a good night's sleep and woke with only the vaguest stiffness in my shoulder. By the time I went to bed last night it was a little sore so took a Nurofen (ibuprofen) and it seems to have done the trick. Again, feeling that familiar feeling of gratitude that I've had so much since my surgery.

Janet, I laughed about how you ended up in the closet. That could have been me, so many times, getting into jeans!

Doreen, it just goes to show no matter how careful we are, accidents can still happen. We are all fully paid up members of the Klutz Klub!

Comment

I didn't answer your question Doreen. Yes, I'm fused to sacrum with pelvic fixation. Thankfully my partner was with me and he helped lift me off the floor. Trust me! I couldn't fall into my closet like Janet (in private!)

Comment

I am glad that you are OK. You are always the cheerful person on the forum
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thanks Rohrer and Melissa. I'm fine today and apart from a slight shoulder soreness, I have no pain. I agree, I think our stiff backs are part of the reason we fall perhaps more easily. We can't straighten ourselves up when we start to tip.

Comment

Glad to hear that you're feeling better, Jennifer and I like the Klatz Club expression :-)
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Jennifer,

Glad it sounds like you came out of this well! Why was there water on the floor of the department store, anyway?!!

Hope all the stiffness is gone soon!

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

hey Jen
                          sorry to hear about your fall, but so glad it wasn't much worse!!!
                          shudder to think of what could have happened!
                          hope you feel better every day...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

Good news Jen.....you dodged that bullet.

You know, going back into pain is quite a drag....I almost forgot....you don’t want to go there.

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks everyone, for your kind words. You're dead right, Ed! Evelyn, we've had the most appalling weather this Autumn, with rain for weeks. There's water everywhere, it seems. I suspect the puddle on the floor came from a dripping umbrella.

Comment

Working...
                              X