PDA

View Full Version : And down I went...

JenniferG
04-13-2013, 01:39 AM
I must have jinxed myself, reading about so many falling and hurting themselves, on this forum as well as the Australian forum, that it's been on my mind and I've been taking greater care. Yet today, in a department store, I felt my right foot skid in water. It shot to the left and I hit the floor on the outside of my right knee, thigh and shoulder. It was my back I was thinking of as I went down, as if in slow motion. Mostly it was my pride that was injured and apart from a slightly bruised feeling, especially in my shoulder, with a slight bit of stiffness, I think I'm ok!

First fall in 4 years and I was taking care. Rats!

Doreen1
04-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Oh no! How did you get up, you are fused to sacrum, correct? I about face planted in the yard yesterday when my dog grabbed a long stick and ran by me. As I was taking a step, the stick went between my steps so that when I took another step, the stick caught my step mid-stride. As I was falling my dog kept running with the stick so the stick moved out of my way and I was able to catch my footing with the next step. Scared the crap outta me. How does your back feel today?

LindaRacine
04-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the klutz club. If I even go 4 months without a fall, I'm a happy camper.

Doodles
04-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Jennifer--
Darn! I sure hope you feel OK again tomorrow too. Might feel rather stiff though. I think it's amazing you have had no falls--guess you got that out of the way now. I think mine was at about 3 years--trying to put on jeans standing up and was suddenly on the floor of my closet. OK but it's a terrible OH, NO! I can't fall feeling! Janet

Susie*Bee
04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
So sorry, Jennifer. Hope you're not too sore and nothing is a true injury. Take it easy and keep us informed... Hugs, Susie

rohrer01
04-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Jennifer,
I'm so sorry to hear that you fell! I know how scary falling is even though I'm not fused. I fall more than the average person. My doctor said it's because my back is stiff and I can't compensate fast enough to prevent the fall. It's scary to fall when you aren't fused. I can only imagine how scary it must be to fall when you are fused. I hope you feel better from your bruising. Does your back hurt at all? I'm guessing that it would probably take more force to damage a properly fused spine than an unfused one.

Take Care

JenniferG
04-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Morning ladies. It's 7.30am here and I had a good night's sleep and woke with only the vaguest stiffness in my shoulder. By the time I went to bed last night it was a little sore so took a Nurofen (ibuprofen) and it seems to have done the trick. Again, feeling that familiar feeling of gratitude that I've had so much since my surgery.

Janet, I laughed about how you ended up in the closet. That could have been me, so many times, getting into jeans!

Doreen, it just goes to show no matter how careful we are, accidents can still happen. We are all fully paid up members of the Klutz Klub!

JenniferG
04-13-2013, 04:48 PM
I didn't answer your question Doreen. Yes, I'm fused to sacrum with pelvic fixation. Thankfully my partner was with me and he helped lift me off the floor. Trust me! I couldn't fall into my closet like Janet (in private!)

mabeckoff
04-13-2013, 07:21 PM
I am glad that you are OK. You are always the cheerful person on the forum

JenniferG
04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks Rohrer and Melissa. I'm fine today and apart from a slight shoulder soreness, I have no pain. I agree, I think our stiff backs are part of the reason we fall perhaps more easily. We can't straighten ourselves up when we start to tip.

Irina
04-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Glad to hear that you're feeling better, Jennifer and I like the Klatz Club expression :-)

Confusedmom
04-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Jennifer,

Glad it sounds like you came out of this well! Why was there water on the floor of the department store, anyway?!!

Hope all the stiffness is gone soon!

Evelyn

jrnyc
04-13-2013, 10:50 PM
hey Jen
sorry to hear about your fall, but so glad it wasn't much worse!!!
shudder to think of what could have happened!
hope you feel better every day...

jess...and Sparky

titaniumed
04-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Good news Jen.....you dodged that bullet.

You know, going back into pain is quite a drag....I almost forgot....you donít want to go there.

Ed

JenniferG
04-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone, for your kind words. You're dead right, Ed! Evelyn, we've had the most appalling weather this Autumn, with rain for weeks. There's water everywhere, it seems. I suspect the puddle on the floor came from a dripping umbrella.

golfnut
04-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Jennifer,
I'm glad you're okay. Yesterday, I was carrying something to the basement and didn't have ahold of the railing, which I always try to do, and thought I had one more step and went flying. I felt pretty klutzy!

JenniferG
04-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Another Klutzy Kuzzin! Did you hit the ground Karen? Or just sort of, trip? Either can give you a fright.

But now, you'll know to hang on to that railing. It's a bummer we have to take so much care, but still, it's a small price to pay.

golfnut
04-14-2013, 05:09 PM
I didn't go down, but just felt like I really pulled something when I went stumbling across the room. It was definitely not a graceful move. I took a couple of Tylenol and have been fine since, thankfully.

JenniferG
04-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Thank goodness!

susancook
04-14-2013, 11:10 PM
I am 3 weeks postoperative and have a big fear of falling! Sounds like it is not always a disaster when you fall. So, if you fall, you just try to get up as gracefully as possible, say a prayer, take Tylenol and see how you are the next morning? If you just have a minor ache, you're ok? Susan

JenniferG
04-15-2013, 12:26 AM
That's pretty much it Susan except for the getting up gracefully (graceful is difficult when you're fused to the sacrum.) <smiley face>

rohrer01
04-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Bumping you up past all of the spam. =)